Author Topic: B-17G Nine 0 Nine  (Read 1511 times)

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
B-17G Nine 0 Nine
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 12:42:43 PM »
Easyscor,

The original Nine-0-Nine was painted in early-war OD, which is very 'brown' ( actually yellow ), versus the later war OD, which is very 'green'.  Later war OD can be so dark it looks almost black on new aircraft.

The Collings bird is close in hue to the original color, but as you mentioned, the WWII paint is flat, not gloss, and I think the original color is a bit darker.

Your original post looks great and is a really good match for the later-war color.

When it comes to camouflage, close is good enough.  Paint batches do not match exactly, sunlight and weather fade the paint, repainting is done in the field, etc.

Also, the color in a photograph may not be true because of the developing and printing process.

Now that I've started the "what color OD really is" argument, I'll sign off :).

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
B-17G Nine 0 Nine
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 04:11:50 PM »
Thanks again everybody.  It's progressing nicely and should be ready to submit next week.  Only thing left to do is tweak the rivets a bit and touchup some of the weathering.

Originally posted by glenmorangie
Now that I've started the "what color OD really is" argument, I'll sign off :).
:) Yep, that could happen.

I got some more help and settled on a color near the Collins Foundation aircraft. To my colorblind eye the base color is ugly but when everything else is in place it looks really nice and it makes the weathering show up much better.

Greebo that was a good catch.  I'm surprised I missed it, just goes to show you can get too close to the work.

Mirroring on the tail prevents me from adding the tail gunners escape hatch after all.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
B-17G Nine 0 Nine
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 10:20:11 PM »
Easyscor,

Here are some scans of wartime pictures, including Nine-O-Nine.

Note the color variance.  Princess Pat should give you some weathering ideas...

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
B-17G Nine 0 Nine
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 10:24:31 PM »
Oops, submitted too soon

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
B-17G Nine 0 Nine
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 07:15:05 PM »
WTG its way better then mine.. i made the b17 chow hound. it was green but it sucked. it was made about 3 months ago atleast:aok

Offline leespeakman

• Zinc Member
good job
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 08:28:27 AM »
i love the "Nine O Nine" scheme, there should not be any silver B-17s on the game.  over 80% were olive drab in the war. thanks for the better looking flying fortress.:aok

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
B-17G Nine 0 Nine
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2004, 09:00:17 AM »
Easyscor what program do you use???