Author Topic: Brewster Buffalo  (Read 416 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Brewster Buffalo
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:20:37 PM »
In the "Matchups" thread Oldman mentioned the A6M2 vs Hurricane MkI and that got me to thinking about a Malaysia/Singapore/early Burma setup. The main fighter for the RAF/RAAF/RNAAF was the Buffalo. I know we substitute the FM2 for the Finnish Buffalo's in the Finn/Russ setups but I have always thought that was wrong, the FM2 is just far better than the Buffalo, even the lightened Finn versions.

Think of it this way, the Finn B-239's and RAF/Dutch B-339's werent all THAT much different, and both were far better than the overweight pig F2A the USN got. We sub the FM2 for the Finn's but I think that is wrong, and here is the reason, you could never sub the FM2 for the B-339 Buffalo's at Singapore, its just waaaaay too Uber. The problem with using the F4F-4 is the 6 gun option, which is also too much to sub for a Buffalo, but the performance is closer.

At any rate, the Hurricane was also there so ew dont have to have the Buffalo, but it would end up being a one fighter set on each side. too bad we will probably never see the Buffalo in AH.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:06:51 PM »
What about F4F-4?  It is slower than FM2
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 02:33:16 PM »
F4F-4 guns are too good with the 6x .50's, plus we already see the A6M2 vs F4F-4 often. What would be perfect is an F4F-4 performance plane with guns equal to the C.202, that should be about right.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 02:46:27 PM »
Lets call it a P-40B.

Brewster would be a usefull addition, I hope they add it at some point.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

storch

Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 03:02:06 PM »
The B-239 Buffalo would be a welcome addition AHII but not the F2A.  The B-239 Buffalo is the most succesful fighter in the K/D ratio in the history of aerial warfare.  In no small part due to the courage, tenacity and skill of the Finns who flew them.  It also helped that they were flying against the Rus also.

Bring us the B-239 Buffalo.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 03:04:43 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
Lets call it a P-40B.

Brewster would be a usefull addition, I hope they add it at some point.

Doh!! Why didnt I think of that?!?

We could just have the Hurricane MkI for the RAF in Maylasia/Singapore and have the P-40B's be the AVG. Man I wish I could make sense out of that $*%#@ map editor.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 03:09:14 PM »
DoKGonzo has got a scenario that will be in DEC i think on this exact same thing.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline wasq

• Silver Member
      • Photos
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 03:45:57 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
DoKGonzo has got a scenario that will be in DEC i think on this exact same thing.

Rangoon '42  is the scenario.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 04:04:51 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Doh!! Why didnt I think of that?!?

We could just have the Hurricane MkI for the RAF in Maylasia/Singapore and have the P-40B's be the AVG. Man I wish I could make sense out of that $*%#@ map editor.

We've done this before, on the Burma map.  Was a lot of fun (or at least I thought so).  

- oldman

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Brewster Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 04:11:09 PM »
Ugh, that Burma map has to be the worst map in the whole bunch. I'd rather do a setup in Pizza than Burma.