Author Topic: The Typhoon's performance.  (Read 223 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The Typhoon's performance.
« on: March 15, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »
I gave this one a go in European Air War last night and man is it fast down on the deck.  I did a shallow dive from 5000, reaching an indicated speed of 480MPH.  Leveled out at about 500 and the Tiffie gradualy slowed down until it settled at about 405.  Some Fw-190s tried to intercept before we reached the target, but they didn't have a chance of catching us.  After hitting the target we engaged the Fw-190s with the numerical advantage on our side, 2 to 1.  That was a hard fight.  Even AI fliers make it hard for a Tiffie to ge an Fw.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

funked

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2000, 06:42:00 PM »
Beware, EAW ain't exactly a scientific marvel.  

The real Typhoon had problems with parts falling off in dives.

Also high speed control (particularly at high altitudes) was dicey.

But on the deck it was probably the fastest thing next to the P-51D or Fw 190D-9 using MW 50.

Wingloading is very good on the Tiffie, but I have read that the stall was somewhat abrupt like an Fw 190.

Regardless of these flaws, I believe I speak for 308 Sqn. when I say, I can't wait!

------------------
Mike "FunkedUp" Waltz
Aces High Instructor Corps

Squadron Leader, 308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2000, 06:53:00 PM »
EAW has improved, not that it is close to Aces High, and is quite good for a mass market sim.
The problem of bits (the tail specificly) were quickly fixed by reinforcing it where the tear was occurring.  In 1945 they found that the problem was a slight balance issue that was easily solved without adding heavy plates to reinforce the tail.  Say that the Tiffie had problems losing bits in dives is like say the Spit's engine stalled if the pilot nosed down.  True, but lacking a lot of detail.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2000, 01:03:00 AM »
Last evening I read Pierre Clostermans book "the Big Show" (Finn. Trans: "Big Circus").
French who did fly Spits, Typhoons and Tempest in WW2.
Still trying to find couple other Clostermann's books  

It was not easy to be a fighter Pilot in those days..,

CANNON

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2000, 01:08:00 AM »
 So what are the guns gonna be like in AH. Lot of pointy things sticking out of the wings. Could those be cannon.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »

Staga,
dont buy the other books by Clostermann. The Big Circus is the only one good, indeed VERY good.

Gatt
4^Stormo CT

"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Straffo_EAF329

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2000, 03:40:00 AM »
Staga  you can read "Flames in the sky" it's a sequel of "le grand cirque" and it's availlable at amazon.com.

The others book by Closterman are either (for the last) about french politic and décolonisation (dunno translate that in english) just after the end of WWII or about fishing  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2000, 06:37:00 AM »
Yep Funked, definitely the fastest thing on the deck in AH at the moment, even faster than the Pony by about 10 mph.

Cannon, the Typhoon will have very similar guns to the F4U-1C, with a similar ammo loadout.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 03-16-2000).]