Author Topic: Waffle's soundpack V2.0 update  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Waffle's soundpack V2.0 update
« on: August 08, 2004, 04:43:43 PM »
Well thing are coming along nicely - just did my first run with the new sound pack in the BOB scenario. I must say I like the sounds that are happening. Basically I've been doing alot of searching for good quality engine sounds, and edited / re'eq/denoised them to fit in place. So far I'm pretty happy.

I changed a few of the start sequences and theres a wider variety of start sounds now per plane engine. Granted, a few are going to be duplicates. Also there are several variations of flaps / gear sounds.

I also went though and balanced all sounds in relation to the engine sounds in each plane. This means that the flaps and gear sounds won't "jump" out at you over a loud engine. In fact, in some - you'll have a hard time hearing them if you're at full throttle or wep.

I also added several different wind / stress effects to different size aircraft.

There's a bunch more of little things also that i'm working through.

Also - looking for a preferred way of deploying this version in a self-extracting, possibly self-installing way.

Does anyone have any info on how to do that? I have never tried it.

Anyway - I'll be in MA trying stuff out for a day or so....so hopefully I will have it out later this week.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 07:14:24 PM »
Waffle,
After the release of Ver 2, I'm going to burn your file and mail it to a squaddy that is using dial-up.  Is there any chance that you could include 2 downloads from here on out - a full package and a smaller package that has only the updates?  I figured that, if you included folders for only the planes that have changes, it might make it easier for those with narrow-band connections, not to mention your bandwidth.  :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 09:38:21 PM »
As mentioned before hand, I really don't keep track of changes that I make...lol

I'll get in the game - fly/drive around..if i don't like something, I'll jump out and edit the sound right then and there. This could be a small change like volume level or eq, or in some cases the search for a whole new sound.

I tried writing the changes down once, but about 1/4 way through - i realized that I had changed more than I'd written down..

Offline Dralex

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 04:50:12 AM »
Where from I can download ver 2.0 ???
I see links only for 1.8 version.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 05:10:27 AM »
2.0 not up yet.

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 05:23:29 AM »
I'll search for an installer. That would be the easiest. (maybe someone has some experiences with a program).

Another way it to use self-extracting archive.
Putting an update package together is easy. You just have to compare the files. I can make that for version 2.

Let's keep in touch. You have my email. :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 04:02:46 PM »
I was looking at the SFX installer that comes on winrar....

only problem - when it's zipped - about 110-113mb.

Unzipped the file is around 145mb.

Just using winrar - the compressed file is about 84-85mb. So far thats the smallest I've been able to zip it.

So I'm thinking I'll use winrar for delivery.

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 04:37:16 PM »
IMO, you should try to optimize size. For example, reduce bitrate of sounds so it doesn't effect quality (much).
Most sounds are used together with others, so they don't have to be high fidelity.

Winrar SFX is a good way. I used it for distributing Fester's Ozkansas terrain. I searched for installers today and I will test Wise Installer tomorrow.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 05:15:21 PM »
nah..hate the 8 bit his and noise.

looks like it's gonna be a big down load, or nothing at all.
Think I'm going to go with winrar.  :)

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 08:14:09 PM »
...., but isn't 352 kbit/s a bit overdone?
How many people can hear the difference to 256kbit/s or even 192kbit/s... especially on crappy speakers/headphones?!

Anyway, it's your baby. ;)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 02:17:10 AM »
Originally posted by lucull
...., but isn't 352 kbit/s a bit overdone?
How many people can hear the difference to 256kbit/s or even 192kbit/s... especially on crappy speakers/headphones?!

STEREO HEADPHONES, BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!  :aok :D   U GOTTA GET 'EM!

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 03:23:43 AM »
I can hear major differences between 128kbps and 160kbps, even on crappy 20 watt speakers.

16-bit, 22.5khz, mono/stereo all the way, dude!

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 03:32:34 AM »
real "stereo" sounds would be nice and add alot more, but if you use stereo sounds, AH can't use stereo wavs for placement of external sounds..ie other plane sounds, gvs and i believe gun fire.

So unfortunaly for now, we're stuck with mono sounds for engines, ect...until of if they ever have seperate files for external /ambient sounds.

But Ah does a nice job on the direction of sounds as well as the amount the of volume would change depending on how far the sound source is away from you.

Also the psudeo doppler effect is pretty cool..can really hear it with the different plane engines.....

V2.0 out shortly

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 04:13:47 AM »
Originally posted by Fruda
I can hear major differences between 128kbps and 160kbps, even on crappy 20 watt speakers.

16-bit, 22.5khz, mono/stereo all the way, dude!

I can hear that too, but I'm talking about 192kbps and 256kbps comparing with 352 kbps. ;)

Originally posted by TBolt A-10
STEREO HEADPHONES, BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!  :aok :D   U GOTTA GET 'EM!

I have Plantronics headphones and Creative digital 5.1 speakers... a little above average. ;)

But just test it yourself if you can hear a difference between those bitrates outside and inside the game. I highly doubt it. :)

But lowering bitrate to 192kbps would almost halve the file size of the package. -> RAR + 192kbps = ~30MB for v1.8

Original ZIP file size = ~90MB

As I said before, it's Waffle's baby. :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 06:02:31 AM »
2.0 out - see BBS