Author Topic: Greebo - F4U-1D Request  (Read 2409 times)

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 06:34:17 PM »
Yost did get his stripes I think I read. It was not to later on in the war. Still searching for some useful pics with the stripes. Ill hopefully have one by the end of the day.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 07:22:23 PM »
Greebo

Here's the VMF-351 F4U-1D Colour Plate

Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Blixen

• Silver Member
      • http://475thfg.bravehost.com/
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 08:02:34 AM »
Corsair JT404 of 1841 squadron. Involved in anti-submarine patrol from HMS Formidable enroute to Scapa after Operation Mascot against the German Battleship Tirpitz, in company with Barracuda of Wing Leader Lt Cdr RS Baker-Falkner. Emergency landing in a field at Sorvag, Hameroy, near Bodo, Norway on 18 July 1944. The pilot Lt Mattholie taken POW and the aircraft captured intact with no damage. The german authorities made attempts to get the pilot to explain how to fold the wings so as to transport the aircraft to Narvik. Aircraft was ferried by boat for further investigation. It is not known if the Corsair was taken to Germany.  This was probably the first Corsair captured by the Germans.  Aircraft is listed at Rechlin for 1944 under repair.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 03:19:22 PM »
Thanks, but I've already got that plate Rafe. Trumpeter also do a plastic kit with the scheme shown exactly like that plate and there's also the diecast. Trouble is, they could all be copying one another and the first source could be wrong. That's why I prefer to have at least one actual photo of the real plane.

Still, if nothing turns up by Sunday I'll replace the stripes, tidy up the weathering and post it to AH Skins.

The same thing applies to that Luftwaffe F4U really. First where did the 150 kills come from and second it is an F4U-4, which the RN never used. The plate seems to be a work of fiction to me. I'd expect the real plane just had a coat of yellow paint applied below and some crosses and letters on the top. It was interesting to read about though, thanks for posting it Blixen.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 03:27:07 PM »
You doing a good job, Greebo, I mean really good job :)

BTW, That Luftwaffe Corsair was an F4U-1B(Known as -1A) and it was only one been captured by Germans, also again, The Luftwaffe Corsair was never found and probably already deep underground base or burn it.
Rafe35

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 08:47:10 PM »

This F4U-1D Corsair lost it's port wingtip in a barrier crash on the USS Cape Glouchester (CVE-109), late July, 1945.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/navalwar/frames.htm

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 03:01:21 AM »
Thanks, that's a useful shot Hawk. First it gives me proof of the fuselage markings. Also the planes in the background have the two yellow stripes running front to rear under their left wings and a large (probably white) stripe running towards the tip on the upper right wing. It's probable that the two yellow and the large white stripe are on both the upper right and lower left wings, you can't quite tell from the shot though.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2004, 03:30:39 AM »
Yah I remember the planes on CVE-109 "Cape Gloucester" all eventually got the same paint scheme, except for a few if I'm correct.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2004, 11:53:07 AM »
Here's another, a better one and you see, Greebo, Look under the wings, they have two yellow stripes.  

Rafe35

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2004, 01:47:11 PM »
Greebo what font do you use when making letters and numbers for skins?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2004, 03:06:57 PM »
Greebo what font do you use when making letters and numbers for skins?
I had a look at various fonts but couldn't find one that looked right. So I make the squad numbers and letters the hard way, creating them from straight and curved lines. For "no step" type signs I use "USAAF_stencil". Can't remember where I got that font from, perhaps MS Word.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 03:11:53 PM »
This is the latest version using all the bits of info supplied in this thread. It still needs a bit of work, some more weathering and I've just noticed the fuselage stripes are a different size to the wing ones. I will post a corrected version AH Skins tomorrow.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2004, 05:12:06 PM »
Oh man!  That is one good looking Corsair I probably ever see on Flight Sim games!! Good work, Greebo! :D :aok
Rafe35

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2004, 05:41:38 PM »
I think a huge thanks goes out to Greebo. He answerd the request quickly, and created the skin even quicker! Thats award winning service if I've ever encountered it. Thanks for the sweet blue planes Greebo. A labor of love I'm sure. ! :D

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Greebo - F4U-1D Request
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »
Very nice looking name. I just might have to change our squad name if this skin gets accepted :D