Author Topic: Olympic opening ceremonies.  (Read 576 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Olympic opening ceremonies.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 09:58:47 PM »
Shes too tall for you.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004, 02:09:50 AM »
I liked the Ceremony.

I dont understand why some of you Neo-con show this little interest, being your nation the second by athlet numbers.

A lot of medals to gain.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2004, 02:21:09 AM »
Naso, we have 5 channels with 24 hour coverage.  Opening ceremonies are just for jits and shiggles; competition is what is important.

I'm going to catch as much rowing and track cycling (team pusuit especially) as I can.

Oh and I will be following the Russian women's water polo team and women's volleyball (indoor and beach)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004, 02:32:26 AM »
Wow ... You guy are the stereotype of a nombrilistic society.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 02:47:04 AM »
im watching womans volleyball now

YUM!

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 04:26:50 AM »
I was there. It was a magnificent event and the atmosphere was electric. I thought the way they depicted classical Greece with the 'moving statues' was stunning.

The Iraqi team got a raptourous reception from everybody. I was surprised at how small the British team were.

After everyone saying that the Greeks wouldn't be able to produce on time, it was really great to see that they did - and for my money put on one of the best opening ceremony shows I've ever seen.

The day before that, my wife ran with the torch (not bad going as she had broken both her ankles 2 months ago) - a very, very proud day for me.

Ravs

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 04:28:50 AM »
Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy
Wow ... You guy are the stereotype of a nombrilistic society.

english pls

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2004, 04:32:25 AM »
Originally posted by ravells
I was there. It was a magnificent event and the atmosphere was electric. I thought the way they depicted classical Greece with the 'moving statues' was stunning.

The Iraqi team got a raptourous reception from everybody. I was surprised at how small the British team were.

After everyone saying that the Greeks wouldn't be able to produce on time, it was really great to see that they did - and for my money put on one of the best opening ceremony shows I've ever seen.

The day before that, my wife ran with the torch (not bad going as she had broken both her ankles 2 months ago) - a very, very proud day for me.

Ravs

sounds like you enjoyed yourself, congrats to you and ofcourse your wife :)

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2004, 04:52:49 AM »
Thanks Nilsen. :)

So much better seeing 202 nations celebrating peace rather than fighting each other.

It's hard to describe but seeing something like that makes you proud to be human as much as seeing war footage makes you repulsed by what people are capable of doing to each other.

Ravs

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2004, 05:05:35 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
english pls

Nombrilistic has to do with watching navels.  Either Frenchy agrees that US volleyballer Logan Tom's navel is worth looking at, or he stretches the meaning to be one of contemplation of navels.  

This would tend to be a closed, inward looking, a horse with blinders on type of outlook.

As my sport is crew rowing and I am most interested in that, I could assume he refers to that if he is referring to me at all.  

As I will be catching as much track cycling as I can and will peripherally watch other sports I cannot believe that he is referring to me as that assessment would be in error.

Therefore, Frenchy must be condecendingly referring to the lovely Miss Tom.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2004, 05:56:26 AM »
Pls, a little more respect for the the mother of democracy,
freedom and human rights - ancient Greece.

And btw I dont care much about opening ceremonies, germany
will anyway win most gold medals, wanna bet? ;)

R
Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 06:07:15 AM »
Well it was different, but then most things are at 3am. Luckily I managed to hand back the runway works I had last night early, and our team watched the ceremony at base...most thought it was pretty interesting...

Loved the Greek history parade the best, the details on the costumes were excellent...thought our athletes uniforms were crap

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2004, 06:29:50 AM »
Originally posted by Gh0stFT
And btw I dont care much about opening ceremonies, germany
will anyway win most gold medals, wanna bet? ;)

Just a little background for your potential handicapping career:

In Sydney the teams of Russia, China, USA, and Austrailia all earned more golds, and total medals than the German team.

Russian and American teams each surpassed the German team in Atlanta and Barcelona.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2004, 07:15:10 AM »
Naso, did ya watch the womens softball game?

It was horrible to say the least.

But only if you're Italian:p

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2004, 07:27:08 AM »
Originally posted by ravells
Thanks Nilsen. :)

So much better seeing 202 nations celebrating peace rather than fighting each other.

It's hard to describe but seeing something like that makes you proud to be human as much as seeing war footage makes you repulsed by what people are capable of doing to each other.

Ravs

yeah, i was at the opening ceremony at Lillehammer and its an amazing feeling. Impossible to get from watching it on TV