Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10194 times)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2004, 05:08:39 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Sunday night; First sunday with new balance system, had the highest attendance since AHII was released. Don't belive your premiss holds water.

HiTEch

ah, jeez, HT, confusing the issue with facts?

:aok

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2004, 06:24:01 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
If it was a Rook landslide again, then I suspect a lot of people showed up just to make sure that The Horde happened regardless of the ENY.

Several possibilities actually exist, and I suspect the truth is somehwere between the two.

It is possible that those who always fly on Sunday night as Rooks only found out when they logged on (I know this to be true) and flew despite their unhappiness.

It is possible that there was another factor that slowed the Rook juggernaut, such as a successful counterattack by Bishops and or Knights that disabled troops or ordinance.

I could go on, as could anyone else.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #347 on: August 20, 2004, 11:03:05 AM »
I think the high order bit re: the high number of people is that a game change - even a controversial one - got people interested again. Last nite there was like 460 people when I popped in to check on things - which seemed high for a Thurs nite. All people were talking about was the new skins.

If every 3-5 weeks a new feature, host change, plane, etc. were added I think you'd see a trend towards higher player counts in the week or so after each addition. Just my hunch. In this thread we listed 4 or 5 changes which wouldn't make the game any more complex but which would lead to improvements in MA gameplay.

Beyond that, the mantra I've seen work has always been "more planes, less warps." You look at what players seem to ask for and gripe about most, and those two items seem to pop to the top of the list. The excitement I heard on the radio last night about the skins kind of bears that out.

And speaking of warps ... whats with this D1.5 warp? Didn't that used to be at D3.0? It's making it brutally hard to BnZ. And if you watch a dogfight from a field gun (zoomed), you can actually see planes do 360's in mid-air at the D1.5 point before warping off.

Off topic, I know ... but I do NOT want to start a "warp" thread.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #348 on: August 20, 2004, 11:10:32 AM »
Were you in a big furball? It normaly is around 3k, but if you overloaded max near range count, you could see it closer in.

HiTech

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #349 on: August 20, 2004, 11:18:49 AM »
Were you in a big furball? It normaly is around 3k, but if you overloaded max near range count, you could see it closer in.

Not really that big ... maybe a dozen planes around a field. Everyone in the squad has noticed that the 3K warp seems to be happening at 1.5 almost all the time since the .07 patch.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
ENY disablements
« Reply #350 on: August 20, 2004, 11:34:41 AM »
There is an enemy bias switch that kicks in at 1.5k, My guess is you had a lot friendlys in side that range, when enemy closed inside of 1.5, he got promoted to the near range update.

HiTech

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #351 on: August 20, 2004, 11:53:24 AM »
That's probably it ... but it really makes BnZ problematic. If you're coming in at speed a plane jumping significantly from 1.5 to 1.0 can pretty much spoil your shot (unless you want to dump a ton of E to try to track with the warp).

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #352 on: August 20, 2004, 11:58:34 AM »
There is an enemy bias switch that kicks in at 1.5k, My guess is you had a lot friendlys in side that range, when enemy closed inside of 1.5, he got promoted to the near range update.

HiTech

Hey, I always wondered about that. Thanks much for the explanation, I appreciate that.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 12:53:54 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Funky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingpigs.com/
ENY disablements
« Reply #353 on: August 20, 2004, 12:27:22 PM »

HiTech

That makes sense...  I guess the downside is that 1.5k - 2.0k is a significant distance for BnZ'ers, and blips at that range can blow a pass very easily.

Would it be possible to do a traffic analysis and find out how much it would increase server load and bandwidth to push that out to say... 2.5k or 3.0k?  That would certainly have an effect on the bandwidth requirements of the clients also.

I don't BnZ much, so I dont' think it would affect me either way... just a thought.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
ENY disablements
« Reply #354 on: August 20, 2004, 12:32:49 PM »
Moving the bias range dosnt effect band width at all.

The only trade off is the friendlys move to the far group sooner.

If 1.5 is causes any issues other than asteticly, Id be glad to move it farther away.

HiTech

Offline Supe

• Zinc Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #355 on: August 20, 2004, 12:42:31 PM »
Originally posted by Funky

Would it be possible to do a traffic analysis and find out how much it would increase server load and bandwidth to push that out to say... 2.5k or 3.0k?  

Yeah I tend to BnZ a fair amount nowadays, since my skills have eroded almopst completely since the ol' WB days a good 8+ years ago. (what the h*ll happened to the time??) Those little 1.5 warps can suck sometimes especially in a furball.

Any chance that one could make updates for enemy planes a priority over the friendlies? I could care less the exact position of DoK or Funky in the fight, but I do care where the guy on their 6 is.

...well more likely the guy is on MY 6, but the argument works both ways...
:)

Supe

Offline Funky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingpigs.com/
ENY disablements
« Reply #356 on: August 20, 2004, 12:48:59 PM »

If 1.5 is causes any issues other than asteticly, Id be glad to move it farther away.

HiTech

I think it's just the 1.5'ish blip that can blow high-speed passes when it's severe.  I don't generally make BnZ passes on friendlies, so having them pop around a bit at that distance wouldn't be a big deal.

Even having it happen at 2.0 or 2.5 at the most would probably be sufficient.  I think a small jump that that range could be corrected for, unless you're in a 262 at 600ias and making a pass on a Zero. :eek:

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #357 on: August 20, 2004, 01:14:45 PM »

Yes, please do.

I'll tell you the other place it really has an impact and that is when tracking fast bombers (like B17 groups at 20K). When they warp from 1.5 to 1.0 you're suddenly getting a face-full of .50 cal before you can line up for your own shot.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #358 on: August 20, 2004, 01:51:12 PM »
I agree.  A good attack, especially on bomber formations, begins around d 2.5.  Unfortunately between 2.5 and 1.0 is where it seems like the position update rate and bias changes as well as the skin loading, so it adds up to a busted first attack in many cases.  If the situation allows, I've been using a close pass knowing ahead of time that the first attack will be disrupted by a warp or stutter, followed by a reposition and second lethal attack.  Moving the update switch out to 2.0 or 2.5 just might help.

I haven't flown since the new skins came out but the system memory pre-load seems to help a lot with the stutter.  By themselves the little warps and stutters don't always ruin an attack but when they are sequenced in between 2.0 and 1.0, then it really throws off an attack.  Pushing it out might help especially with people connecting with a low latency broadband connection.

The higher quality average connection seems to highlight the transition points to the point where they're now pretty easy to see.  This can take away from that all important "suspension of disbelief" that AH has always been known for.  I of course have no idea whether just pushing the update transition range out farther, or simply increasing the mandatory minimum bandwidth will be necessary to hide the transitions again, but I implictly trust HiTech to make it all guud :)

Umm...  This is my first post in around a year.  It's intended to be a positive contribution so please let me know if/when I'm being an idiot.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
team play??
« Reply #359 on: August 20, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »
Welp...

I am probably alone in this (not that I mind :)), but, there are some players that really don't care much about "team play". (and yes...the 'some' just might refer to only me :D)

Personally, I work at a job where I am responsible for 7 other people. Organization??? I do it all day...everyday. I really don't care much for "organized" entertainment.

Actually, I have played other games that required teamwork to achieve any success. Well, for a couple of months anyway :).

Bottomline...I'm here for fun and if it ain't fun...I ain't gonna do it :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."