Author Topic: P8 .50 cal. Question  (Read 266 times)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
P8 .50 cal. Question
« on: August 15, 2004, 06:03:36 PM »
Today (last night too), in the CT, I departed in an A6M5b and flew to an airfield. There I killed all ack at the field and town. I did this without a scratch. Then I climbed into an F6F and did the same. However, in the F6F the ack got my engine in the first pass. I was unable to kill any ack at all with the .50 cals untill a forth pass over the same gun.....two trips later.

I went back to axis side and tried again. Same thing, 20mm kill them quick. That I can understand. This time I tried with just the MGs on the A6M5. 12mm or 7.7 either way, I could still kill one ack in one pass and again, no damage to the Zero. I changed the convergence on the F6F to were I had tow chances to center a hit. Still nothing for two passes. Not only that but the F6F sustained damage all times on the first pass.

Does this have anything to do with the P8 low cal model changes?
And what up with the AC damage on A6M5 vs F6F?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 06:05:40 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
P8 .50 cal. Question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:22:39 AM »
Look here: http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126484

20mm has blast radius, 12mm must hit ack directly; Hellcat has wing mounted guns, Zero - nose mounted (if i remember right).
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
P8 .50 cal. Question
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:47:58 AM »
Ok, I had thought of that but just wasnt sure how it was modeled. I guess I just didnt think I was "missing" it as much as I guess I am. That is why I even set the convergence to two settings, i.e. 600 and again at 300. I also figured that the 7.7s in the Zero would not be as good. Anyway, I can live with that.

However, that still doesnt answer the part about AC damage :(

Why can I fly arond the base and not get hit in the zero but get plastered in the F6F doing the same thing. I am talking first pass here in the F6F. Obviously the more ack I kill the better chance of surviving. But my goodness, two passes in F6F I am dead or at least a blown oil tank.