Author Topic: Couple things that need to be done to make this setup suck even worse  (Read 2840 times)

storch

Couple things that need to be done to make this setup suck even worse
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2004, 04:23:57 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
Eh, I dont think I'm all that good, but I am aggressive which makes up for a lot of my  other shortcomings. Ask any real fighter pilot what the single most important trait to have as a fighter pilot is and they will say aggressiveness, something lacking in more than a few in AH.

"L'audace L'audace toujour L'audace"  

Timid people will never understand that concept.  Coupled with the herd mentality of what can he do he's alone? makes for the uninspired performances we see in the arena day in, day out.

Not to boast.  At around 2300 we had a sudden influx of folks in the arena who all showed up on the rook team.  I will suppose they were from the rook herd which had too many numbers in the MA to be able to "up". (new rules in the wasteland)  

They decided to magnanimously grace us in the Country Bumpkin Arena with their presence.

In short order they had sunken all of our Axis carriers. I cynically but not impolitely congratulated them for the long flights we would now experience in order to play.

The head cow or lemming then asked me if it was ok to capture bases to which I responded sure take A9 but leave A30 alone because it will make for even longer flight times for the rest of us once you leave.  At about that time most of the CT regulars started migrating to the Axis side, only one remained Allied.

Sure enough the herd numbering 18 at it's peak attacks A30!! Our 7 CT regulars in a combination of manned ack, GVs and aircraft repulses the first wave.  Their sword was blunted on our shield.  we lost two fighter hangers and a few airframes but we could still reup.  Several CT regulars landed multiple kills.

At this time I offer up one my classic taunts, the defective blue planes one.  the head cow retorts and again comes the herd.  This time they knock me out of my ack chair, then killed me upping an M16 as they took out the VH, Then they take out all the fighter hangers as well as flatten the town.  I was fuming!!! (great piece of work you lemming hordes) Very precise bombing with jabos.  it was impressive to behold.  But this time the attack was not repulsed and a few Allied fighters remained up and were capping the field.  They were no doubt revelling in their mastery of the lowly CTers and congratulating themselves on their decisive victory.

By that time C7 was within 12 minutes aerial striking distance of A30 so the beleaugered CT regulars quickly muster and field 6 fighters.  The tension in the Arena is palpable.  Good natured taunts are exchange but a gauntlet is clearly thrown down on the open channel by the Axis side. (guess who?)

Wild melees are strewn all over sector 9.11 each CT defender in the air is dealing with 3 herders in a pitched battle for A30.  In mere seconds I had five kittys bagged and 1.5 C47s  sadly my engine hit, and streaming three plumes of fuel I was forced to ditch in the slot after killing the last inbound goon while deadstick.  The Arena was suddenly quieter.  The herd leader was not to be found on the pilot roster.  Not being one graced with modesty my taunts of the remaining herd members were many and sharp.

We had won the battle.

I want to thank HTC for providing a ready source of fodder for our Arena.  That capping the number side thing in the MA is brilliant.  I also thank the MA participants in the above mentioned battle.  I hope you had as much fun as I did.  Lastly but certainly not least I want to thank the CT regulars that without prompting switched sides to help out.  And a very special thanks to Memnon and MV Jester without whos help there would have been no way I could have backed up my taunts.  

Oh and MA types, Ya'll come back now ya hear!!!!!!! :D

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2004, 10:52:44 AM »
fwiw imo 2 weeks of any planeset/map is one week too long for CT [/B]

Eagler - The setup this week is running based on many responses both public and private to my request for information on what you guys would like to see out of a setup.

The overwhelming majority of players wanted to see something that allowed continuity within a setup and a similar concept to a rolling planeset.

I also said in my post announcing this setup that it would be a test of sorts for several different settings behind the scenes for radar and ship hardness. The test also includes the extension of the setup one additional week.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2004, 11:39:14 AM »
Eagler - The setup this week is running based on many responses both public and private to my request for information on what you guys would like to see out of a setup.

That’s hardly surprising since the majority who live in the ct are in some sort of allied/navy squad.

Those who fly the ct occasionally and post even less just skip the crappy Pac set ups altogether.

Catering to a small portion of the entire AH player base (the so called “CT regulars”) won’t increase participation in the CT. Pac setups have always been out of balance in terms of numbers. Lots of allies; fewer axis.

The reason is that these setups are by far out of parity with regards to the plane set. Whether its "historical" or not makes no difference to a player who just wants to get a few fights in without being ganged by some bore and ZZZZZ "just flying smart" player. They can do that in the main while flying a more competitive plane.

With much fast planes and timid pilots it’s just to boring for the average player to suffer through.

Of the 20 guys in the CT 15 of umm love these setups, 5 don’t and anyone else who might have been interested in the CT looks at the match ups and says F'it and goes to the main. Pac set ups have always been that way since Sabre ran the first one.

The trick is to create a set up that considers not just the 15 but to make a set up as competitive as possible regardless of the whines. As HT said on the CT CM forum a long time ago. Never sacrifice game play for historical accuracy.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2004, 12:04:52 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
The trick is to create a set up that considers not just the 15 but to make a set up as competitive as possible regardless of the whines. As HT said on the CT CM forum a long time ago. Never sacrifice game play for historical accuracy.

You are exactly right Wotan. Pacific setups are not anywhere near what I or many others would like to see in this game and I hope the addition of the Frank will move us forward to changing that. Even though its only the beginning and not anywhere close to filling in the gaps.

My main point here is It seems everyone is not looking past their noses at what this setup represents. This weeks setup is plain and simple the beginning of a series of test settings (on my part) to see if extending the setups and changing some aspects of the arena setup will enhance gameplay. I will admit that I like a historical matchup any time but if I am not having fun I will not play the game.

Shameless thread hijack here:
So with that said what rumors have you heard about Pacific Fighters? Is it still on track to release later this summer/fall?
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2004, 12:11:10 PM »
reschke my puter moans looking at the screen shots.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2004, 12:25:32 PM »
Originally posted by o0Stream140o
Eagler, Dennis do you guys fly IL-2 Online?  Or just the box single player?

Stream

mainly the online  thru hyperlobby though I am really bad at it I find it rewarding when I do get a kill after half a dozen sorties :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

storch

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2004, 01:53:51 PM »
That’s hardly surprising since the majority who live in the ct are in some sort of allied/navy squad.

Those who fly the ct occasionally and post even less just skip the crappy Pac set ups altogether.

Catering to a small portion of the entire AH player base (the so called “CT regulars”) won’t increase participation in the CT. Pac setups have always been out of balance in terms of numbers. Lots of allies; fewer axis.

The reason is that these setups are by far out of parity with regards to the plane set. Whether its "historical" or not makes no difference to a player who just wants to get a few fights in without being ganged by some bore and ZZZZZ "just flying smart" player. They can do that in the main while flying a more competitive plane.

With much fast planes and timid pilots it’s just to boring for the average player to suffer through.

Of the 20 guys in the CT 15 of umm love these setups, 5 don’t and anyone else who might have been interested in the CT looks at the match ups and says F'it and goes to the main. Pac set ups have always been that way since Sabre ran the first one.

We've had very good numbers in the CT (relatively speaking for about a month now)  Go gloom somewhere else.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2004, 02:36:34 PM »
Whats a Pac thread without some "farm boi" comments from Batz?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2004, 03:08:59 PM »
"Farm boi" transcends Batz.

Shameless thread hijack here:
So with that said what rumors have you heard about Pacific Fighters? Is it still on track to release later this summer/fall?

Reschke PF is on schedule AFAIK. I hear the carrier landings are no joke. But they will face the same issues that you face running a Pac set up in AH. The only difference there will be a wider variety of planes available for the Japanese player.  The Air War in the Pacific was for the most part dominated by the US/Allies.

How do script a DF server that’s competitive if one side has dominant AC?

Even an online war or Coop will be hard to pull off without some creativity on the part of the Host. Much like the CT in AH.

Go gloom somewhere else.

Sorry Storch, I didn’t mean to steal your show. You do enough "gloomin'" for the rest of us. I will leave it to you.

Eagler,

Scot, JDW and I fly FB regularly during the week. We flew last night on Warclouds. Some of the JG14 guys from Warbirds flew with us. We had about 9 guys tearing up farm bois.

I have a TS server up for vox. If you see me on HL 4./JG53_Wotan send me a page and I will send you the TS ip and PW.

Its rough flying alone.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 03:16:19 PM by Wotan »

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2004, 03:35:11 PM »
Wotan,

I am getting IL2:FB reinstalled this week and should be ready to fly some later this weekend in FB. Can you shoot me the IP and password for the TS server.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2004, 04:40:11 PM »
"That’s hardly surprising since the majority who live in the ct are in some sort of allied/navy squad.

Catering to a small portion of the entire AH player base (the so called “CT regulars”) won’t increase participation in the CT. Pac setups have always been out of balance in terms of numbers. Lots of allies; fewer axis."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt recall 100's of players in the CT when you and Brady were staffers?, so don't talk like you had all the answers. You had your turn at it. The #s were no better or worse.

As for a "navy squad" conspiracy?, save it. Most CT setups are still ETO/MED/EAST FRONT 44-45. Which is fine with us, we only asked for PAC to be in the rotation, nothing more.

The Thursday night missions have been a success because of the participation of the players you are slamming. We didnt need any staffers to organise it for us, and I didnt see you there, either.

Just another post from a "it has to have a 109 or I wont play" whiner, dressed up to look like it has some substance.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »
Reschke,  here is the BBS Fourm for Pacific Fighters... it has updates and information on it.

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=26310365

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2004, 08:44:21 PM »
I didnt recall 100's of players in the CT when you and Brady were staffers?, so don't talk like you had all the answers. You had your turn at it. The #s were no better or worse.

Well if the Ct has 10% of the main then it’s a success as per HT. Whenever it falls below that at peak then it would considered less then successful.

Pac setups usually fall below this threshold. Okinawa and the Slot changed this some what early on. As the newness of the terrains wore off they became more typical.

Under this criteria yes some of my set ups failed miserably. I once tried a 109F-4 vs. Spit 5. Only 3 people showed up and they all upped spits. There was no base capture.

As for a "navy squad" conspiracy?, save it. Most CT setups are still ETO/MED/EAST FRONT 44-45. Which is fine with us, we only asked for PAC to be in the rotation, nothing more.

I never said anything about a conspiracy. You made that didn't you? There's no need to lie to make a point. What I said was in response to what Reschke said. Here since you cant follow the thread I will quote it for you:

Reschke

The setup this week is running based on many responses both public and private to my request for information on what you guys would like to see out of a setup.

Me

Do you dispute what I have said? A quick look at the CT tour scores and a review of the CT forum clearly shows the majority of CT regulars are in Navy / Marine or Allied squads.

If you think this means it’s a "conspiracy" then fine by me. But don't lie and say that I said or even implied that.

The Thursday night missions have been a success because of the participation of the players you are slamming. We didnt need any staffers to organise it for us, and I didnt see you there, either.
[/b]

Slamming? Maybe, but you already know what I think of you and yours so we need not revisit that. I am glad you had fun in your mission. Hazed used to do the same thing. He had a webpage up and everything. Participation was good at the beginning but waned. Maybe you have it figured out better then he did.  You won't see me there for the very I reason I stated at the top of this paragraph.

Just another post from a "it has to have a 109 or I wont play" whiner, dressed up to look like it has some substance.

Once again you resort to outright lying. Please quote any where I have said I will only fly a CT set up that has 109s? I won't fly those either but please quote me at any point saying that.

The topic of this thread is:

It relates to the disparity in the plane set coupled with the timid nature of a good number of players especially when they are in much faster planes. For the player just wanting a quick series of fun fights it's pointless to join as axis because he will face twice his number of these type of players. He could join as allies but they already have numbers. So he heads to the main with out thinking twice about it.

You guys have one of the best dog fighters still in the game, Urchin. Some of you should take some CT time with him and learn a new trick or two. As much as he comes off as a hard arse he has always been willing to show folks a thing or two.

Anyway Good luck with all that.

Reschke I will send you the ip and pw. We all fly FB/AEP (Aces Expansion Pack) FB alone is not compatible with AEP. The current AEP version is 2.04. We all need the same version to be able to fly together.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 08:46:41 PM by Wotan »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2004, 09:47:33 PM »
You guys have one of the best dog fighters still in the game, Urchin. Some of you should take some CT time with him and learn a new trick or two. As much as he comes off as a hard arse he has always been willing to show folks a thing or two.

This is very true.  We also have Shane, and Lev and Eskimo and Eagler and Splash and many others who visit here and will help us with our skills.  The CT is an excellent place for this.

What I'm wondering, Wotan, is really two things.  First, how come you don't fly here anymore, when you've obviously left a piece of yourself with us?  Second, if you don't want to fly here, why would you want to denigrate the efforts of the staffers who still do?

Not a diss, it's a real question.

- oldman

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2004, 10:09:15 PM »
Wotan Sucks.

New bumper sticker?

I've never seen such a failure, choose to be such an intense "arm-chair quarterback" in my life.

Who cares what he thinks he's a has been, just like his Husband Brady.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane