Author Topic: Six calls, SA, Voice chans, and Profanity.  (Read 2468 times)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Six calls, SA, Voice chans, and Profanity.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 08:59:28 AM »
You right about the language there is no excuse for it.  But if you are going to shelter your kid, never let him go to school, ride the bus or go out in the world then you have a chance.  It is ok for children to know the words, what is more important is for them to be taught it is wrong to use them.  I'm not for sheltering children from the every day things that are wrong, expose them to everything and teach them right from wrong.  This world is not friendly to a sheltered child.

As for the check sixes, anyone that gets all mouthy about not getting a check six is a newbe and has no clue, if he is not a newb then he is just a dumbprettythang.  People that don't give check sixes just means their SA sucks too and they have a hard enough time watching their own six let alone anyone else’s.  I'm not saying this about you personally Mayhem, just in general.

You should have posted the call sign as well.  People think they can hide on these games, but if the community makes issues like these public then maybe people will realize we are all watching and might think twice.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 09:04:53 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Mayhem.  there's no need for this garbage but since it's the intardnet it's unavoidable. A perma-squelch for text AND voice is long over due.

As for answering whiners about not getting a "check six?"   I used to respond along the lines of  "It's not my fault you suck so bad that you can't watch out for yourself and that you expect me to do it for you."

I mean come on.  Only the blind or completedly fixated could miss the AH MA's big honking icons that give away every airplace within 5k of you.  Add in the all seeing AWACs radar and only a fool would get on the radio and show himself to be the retard he is for admitting he was shot down by someone he never saw or knew was there.

Offline Mak333

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 09:06:55 AM »
The most likely reason for HT's argument would be: It would decrease the level of teamwork and cooperation with the pilots in your area and the country as a whole.

He wants to promote this as a team game, not a rambo shooter like Doom.

Then again, range vox does get kind of out of hand.  Wish there was an in-game vote system to vote people off the server or somethin. When enough votes have gone a certain way, action would be taken and a temp ban would be placed or atleast a mute from range for a good hour or two.
Mak

Offline hawk410

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 09:07:52 AM »
i also would like to be able to disable range vox, i dont wanna hear about what you and your friends did this weekend etc etc.

it also gets in the way of Squad Vox

LET US DISABLE RANGE!!!!!

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 09:13:33 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
You right about the language there is no excuse for it.  But if you are going to shelter your kid, never let him go to school, ride the bus or go out in the world then you have a chance.  It is ok for children to know the words, what is more important is for them to be taught it is wrong to use them.  I'm not for sheltering children from the every day things that are wrong, expose them to everything and teach them right from wrong.  This world is not friendly to a sheltered child.

I couldn't have said that better myself.  I'm SO happy I wasn't a sheltered child.  Those that were are painfully obvious and stick out like a sore thumb.  Poor people.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2004, 09:20:26 AM »
Let's not get into telling people how to raiose there kids, it really is beside the point don't you think?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2004, 09:28:18 AM »
Originally posted by Shane

one can still use headphones. one can even turn off vox completely - which is what i do.

No wonder you did not get my check 6s last night.  Was too busy to hit the keyboard and I was calling them over vox.  :aok  
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zanth
Let's not get into telling people how to raiose there kids, it really is beside the point don't you think?

We're not telling anyone how to raise their kids.

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2004, 09:42:50 AM »
Originally posted by Mak333
The most likely reason for HT's argument would be: It would decrease the level of teamwork and cooperation with the pilots in your area and the country as a whole.
He wants to promote this as a team game, not a rambo shooter like Doom.

No one is using Range vox as a team building tool, its being used as a yuk-yuk tool and a FU for no checksix tool... But please continue with the smoke and mirrors its entertaining really!!

IKON

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 09:43:27 AM »
Great post!!  But next time keep my six clear you *&*^ing M*&DTH#^$&!!!

J/k   I totally agree I wish we had a way to turn off range. It over rides squad channels and screw everything up as well as having to hear everyone screaming at eachother because they didnt give a check 6, or killshoooter or something.

PLEASE MAKE RANGE AN OPTION!!!

~AoM~

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2004, 09:49:01 AM »
It's advice not an order, it's without judgement.  

It's not besides the point.  He mentioned his kid hearing bad language while watching him play an adult game.

While I can understand where he is comming from and I agree there is no excuse for the language, it is like watching an R rated movie and getting mad because it's not a G rated movie.

This is an adult dominated game, this is not Mario Brothers.  Some adults use bad language as if they don't know it is wrong.  We are unfortunately bound to have some AHole cursing bottom line.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 09:52:35 AM by mars01 »

Offline Muddie

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2004, 10:06:37 AM »
Mayhem, I don't run the surround sound with the family home, and mine are teenagers.  It's not just the language, it's the whole attitude thing (folks basically losing control over a game?????).  

I believe if you text squelch somebody (.squelch) they are also voice squelched.  After the fact I know, but it seems to be what we have.

Originally posted by Mayhem
Zanth

It was enough to get any movie a R rating it was beyond simple dam and hell. But to be honest I was steamed and probably overreacting a bit. I woulda just luaghed it off if my Kid didn't hear it. I was really cuaght unprepared for it. I hadn't flown at all in a few weaks and this takes place 3 minutes into my first flight. My kid hears it and asks me about it. I also have this agreement with my wife. I don't play ultra violent/gorey/bloody/scary games or games with profanity in them, like Q3 postal2 or doom3. when the kids are around, and she doesn't make me watch lifetime movies with her.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2004, 10:10:45 AM »
and she doesn't make me watch lifetime movies with her.
Man that is worth giving up everything you love, your lucky!!!  We need to start a mens group against the Lifetime channel.:aok

Offline Muddie

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2004, 10:11:16 AM »
Not true.   We use it a fair bit (when the chatter permits) for intersquad kinda stuff, like when the Damned and FBs are working the same area, etc.

But you guys are right about the chatter, sheesh.

Originally posted by 1K0N
No one is using Range vox as a team building tool, its being used as a yuk-yuk tool and a FU for no checksix tool... But please continue with the smoke and mirrors its entertaining really!!

IKON

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2004, 10:30:16 AM »
I think there is ingame volume for vox? am i correct...

Use teamspeak / Ventrilo or other sound system to communicate... you control the server you control what is up to your standard.. (this as a squad you should already have.. it costs nothing but time..)

http://www.ventrilo.com/

http://www.teamspeak.org/index.php

now the cursing i dont agree with but I also dont agree with no solutions on your end and then looking to the community to police for a solution you as a parent should have..

people who dont parent their kids and then expect others to do it for them i lose alot of respect for them.. They are the same people who whine about the vchip or whatever else they have on the market from the ministry of thought control..  

I have nephews that come over and want to watch me fly..(i know what the ma is all about; so....) My solution is turn down the treble and up the bass on my home stereo hooked up to my box..  The only vox they hear BRRRRRRRR   BRRRRRRR BRRRRR..  DoctrBRRRR..... and engine sounds...with the other out hooked up to my headphones.. works for me ....

Use your brain and form a solution = good

Complain to community about something clearly in your power to change = bad...

maybe you didn't know that.. so ill cut you some slack..  but now you know and you as a parent have the power to raise your children in anyway you want.. Never forget that..

DoctorYO
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 10:42:44 AM by DoctorYO »