Author Topic: Blair Witch cameraman......  (Read 418 times)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Blair Witch cameraman......
« on: August 17, 2004, 03:25:30 PM »
...survives plane ditch at sea, only to be unable to get out of safety harness and drowns.  Not how I would want to go.

--------------------

'Blair Witch' Cameraman Killed in Plane Crash

Tue Aug 17, 3:07 AM ET  Reuters

By Sheigh Crabtree

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Cinematographer Neal L. Fredericks, best known for his work on "The Blair Witch Project," was killed Saturday while shooting the independent film "Cross Bones" in the Florida Keys. He was 35.

Fredericks was filming aerial shots for the movie from a single-engine Cessna 206 when the plane's engine sputtered twice at about 500 feet before going down in 50 feet of water, according to "Cross Bones" writer-director Daniel Zirilli.

Zirilli, the pilot, a co-producer and a first camera assistant escaped the wreckage through an open door, but Fredericks, who was strapped into a safety harness beneath camera equipment, was unable to free himself from his seat before the plane was submerged.

"It was sunny, no wind; the hurricane had passed 36 hours before," Zirilli said. "It was a glorious day. The pilot called us to go out. As far as we know, it was engine failure."

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 03:32:08 PM »
Whoa.  I met both of those guys at the "Blair Witch Project" premier in Tampa.  They were both supercool guys and had hilarious senses of humor.

That's a shame.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:41:31 PM »
What a shame.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
I bet it was the Blair Witch that did it.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 04:20:06 PM »
I was going to say something about a curse, but that'd be a morbid sense of humor and I try to stay above that sort of thing so soon after a tragedy.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 04:41:39 PM »
He didn't put in enough time with Orr, the Crazy bastard.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 04:57:26 PM »
was the blair witch just a movie? i thought it was a documentary of an actual event :confused:

:D