Author Topic: F6F squads?  (Read 389 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F6F squads?
« on: August 19, 2004, 11:48:40 PM »
Hey, I'm interested in learning more about flying the F6F. The F4F/FM2 is fairly straighforward, but the F6F can be really tricky.

I'm looking for a squad that flies this plane and might be willing to exchange e-mails regarding tips/tricks of flying the F6F.

Unfortunately I only have HTH available now and a bad stick, so I'm interested in the practial applications of manuevers and what-not (and/or films of sorties) rather than in-arena-show-and-tell.

Offline 1Duke1

• Silver Member
F6F squads?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 12:37:13 AM »
Krusty

We are a Kitty squadron, and would be more than willing to help ya out.  Off the top of my head, the best Kitty drivers I have come across are Soulyss and Redd.  But shoot me an email, dblems  @  verizon  .  com, will see what we can do:cool:

Duke

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: F6F squads?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 06:52:53 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Hey, I'm interested in learning more about flying the F6F. The F4F/FM2 is fairly straighforward, but the F6F can be really tricky.

I'm looking for a squad that flies this plane and might be willing to exchange e-mails regarding tips/tricks of flying the F6F.

Unfortunately I only have HTH available now and a bad stick, so I'm interested in the practial applications of manuevers and what-not (and/or films of sorties) rather than in-arena-show-and-tell.

Mathman, from MA, is supposed to be the authority on Hellcat.  He has a whole web site devoted to it...somewhere....

- oldman

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
F6F squads?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 09:51:42 AM »
Eh, F6F is an Easy Mode (TM) plane. Just point the nose at any red icons and shoot at it. :)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
F6F squads?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 10:05:20 AM »
Why would anyone want to fly a plane that was issued with training wheels.

:p  :rofl

Real players fly the F4U's
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
F6F squads?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 10:17:28 AM »
Yeah math can fly rings around me, but I'd be happy to help out if you see me online holler and we'll see if I can be of service. :)

Mathman did have some good tips on the hellcat on his website, that site in it's original form no longer exsists but the contents of it were moved to http://www.netaces.org

I feel like I've never made it back into top fighting form (for me at least) since AH2 came out, I've been struggling with a new joystick setup and the stall on the f6f in ah2 is giving me fits.  But here's a couple pointers off the top of my head.

· First and foremost hellcat driving is all about speed control.  Which may sound funny since the hellcat isn't really a fast aircraft.  But in range of 250-300mph IAS it will turn with anything in the game.  The slower you get you lose that advantage,  this means in dogfights against spits for example you have to work for a guns solution early in the engagement cause the longer it lasts the advantage will be lost.

· Rudder!  having a good rudder input device, or rather one that you can use effectively is a huge benefit.  The F6F has good rudder authority which can increase it's roll and will allow you to get your nose inside your opponent during scissor manuvers.

· Flaps, this is a bit of a controversial topic because apparently the flaps in the game are more effective than they were on the actual plane.  But hey they're there... use 'em.  :)

· Finally thank god the hellcat is tough... I almost never land (when I do actually land) without some sort of battle damage or at least a liberal sprinkling of MG or cannon fire, enough to keep my crew chief up late and make him surly for the next couple days. ;)

Anyway look me up if you want... this week is ETO in the CT but we can head to the MA if you want.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F6F squads?
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 03:10:14 PM »
Thanks for the posts, people.

Duke I sent you an e-mail.

Sorry for the late response, Soulyss. I appreciate the hands-on training offer but I have no subscription right now (or else you'd see me in the CT every day lol) but perhaps something you said has helped. My joystick is not so great. My rudder just plain sucks. So maybe that's why I've not had as much luck as others in this plane. I have looked at netaces before (have it bookmarked) but still have problems with the merge. Advanced moves are still a bit beyond me, per se.

Example: Head-ons. Well, I can split S to make myself in a better position once the fight begins, but if I move the other planes just lasers in on me no mater what move I make and by the time we're close my split S has only served to show my flank to his/her guns, rather than move me into a good position (as an example of how I'm struggling :) )

[EDIT] Duke your mail bounced. User unknown error.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 03:36:43 PM by Krusty »

Offline Jasta

• Copper Member
F6F squads?
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »
My favorite part about the F6F is when the pony drivers start doing that climbing turn BS. They think you dont have the ENY to follow them, but when you hit 150 KIAS, just dump a notch of flaps and youll nail him.

Ive shocked some Spit and Pony pilots alot with that :)