Author Topic: p51 nose  (Read 738 times)

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:37:50 PM »
im making this plane

this is what i have so far but i cant figure out how to get the nose red :(

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
p51 nose
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 03:34:33 PM »
Just keep in mind that the plane in the photo is a restored Mustang with a gawd awful attempt at 4th FG type markings.

The QP would be outlined in red, larger and in front of the national insignia on the fuselage.  It would NOT have a red white and blue rudder.  It would have a completely red rudder with the serial number moved forward in front of the rudder and since the red swept under nose wasn't in use until January 45, it wouldn't have those kinds of invasion stripes on the fuselage.

Find a wartime photo of a 4th FG Mustang.  Just slapped this profile together based on a wartime photo.  The 51 markings should look similar to this

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:11:13 PM »
TheBest.  I can show you where the spinner markings are.  I'll also show you how to get rid of the green forward canopy rails too.  Give me a few and I'll post a quick shot of where it's at.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 07:20:16 PM by Cobra412 »

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:41:27 PM »
UM i have another problum when ever i make layers in photo shop 8 i cant save it as 256 colors and when i try to it changes all the colors which makes skinning difficult any sugestions

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 08:01:38 PM »
TheBest here is what I do.  I will take my current PSD file with all my layers viewable and select them all and do a "copy merged".  I will then make new file with the same dimensions.  I will paste in what I have just copied into this new file.  Once I have that saved there I will make 2 versions.  One saved as a .psd and one saved at 256 colors and .bmp.  I will also save my current original layered file prior to doing anything.  

Sometimes I actually keep PSP open long enough so I can go look at my stuff and come back.  Only problem is if you have a AH lockup you probably won't get back to PSP to save before you have to hard reboot your system.

One thing to remember is always drop your original copy merged into a file other than your 256 file first.  Once it's dropped in, then go and save it as a 256 color.  Most of the time you can just get away with opening your in game file, change it to RGB color and then paste your new copy merged image.  Once you've done that save it as a 256 again and save it to your in game file name by overwriting it.

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 12:35:50 AM »
ok is copy merged mean select all then copy?

And can u mega simplify this for me "One thing to remember is always drop your original copy merged into a file other than your 256 file first. Once it's dropped in, then go and save it as a 256 color. Most of the time you can just get away with opening your in game file, change it to RGB color and then paste your new copy merged image. Once you've done that save it as a 256 again and save it to your in game file name by overwriting it."

(im new with skins and layers and stuff and when ever i go to get it as 256 color it gets messed up)

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 12:48:01 AM »
Okay quick and easy.  

Once you have a basic setup that you'd like to see in the arena for testing go to Select then All.  Then go to Edit, copy merged or hit shft contrl c.  Then click on File and then New.  Ensure the size of the new file is correct (1024x1024) and hit okay.

This will put up a blank 1024x1024 image (preferrably transparent).  Then hit Edit, then paste or cntrl v.  That should put your skin inside the new image area.  Once you've done that go to Image, Mode, and then indexed color. It will pop up another window.  It should already be setup correctly so just hit okay.  Now go to File then save as.  Save your file as a .bmp.  Ensure the name is exactly like what your saved skin name was and your done.

Now if you want to adjust stuff again.  Follow the same steps but select your original .bmp image.  Click on Image, Mode then RGB color. Once you've done that click cntrl v to paste your new image into that file.  Then go back to Image, Mode and indexed color.  Follow the same procedure as before to save it and then go check it out.

One thing to note always ensure you've got the right image selected when you paste.  If not you'll accidentally drop that copied image into the wrong spot.  If so just hit cntrl alt z to undo the last command.  And reselect the right image and paste it in there.

Hope this helps.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
p51 nose
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 05:12:58 AM »
My thoughts, make the top end of the nose more vibrant black, same for the red near the cockpit. Maybe its just the sun glare, and I'm stupid.

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
p51 nose
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 11:03:19 AM »
Cobra that helped alot but for some reason when i start the game it is the default skin.
BTW
thanx for all your help