Author Topic: P-40E Dikam Death  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« on: August 22, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »
Here's my next project.  I'd like to first give thanks to Fester and his P-40 template.  It's saved me alot of time having this template available.

This skin is actually based off of a P-40N flown by Lt. Robert N. Gale, the uncle of RingUp in the 412th Braunco Mustangs.  Lt. Robert N. Gale flew for the 88th "Screaming Banshees" in the CBI.  He is alive and well living not far from Ringup.  He may even join the Aces High community.  

During a mission on the 9th of July 1944 from the jungle airfield Shingbwiyang Lt. Gales flight of P-40Ns took off for a routine bombing mission.  During climb out the flight lead spotted multiple enemy contacts high above them.  The flight of four released their bombs and headed for cover.  The enemy contacts dove on the flight shooting down one of the P-40s and Lt. Gales aircraft took hits around the tail section of his plane.  As the fight continued Lt. Gale darted in and out of the clouds looking for enemy aircraft.  He popped out of the clouds only to find an unsuspecting victim.  Lt. Gale open fired spraying a hail of bullets into the Zero.  The Zero caught on fire almost immediately and Lt. Gale watched as the Zeros pilot released his canopy and tried to get out.  The last he saw of the aircraft it was in flames and headed for the ground.

His second Zero kill started much like the first.  He could only get a short burst off and landed hits on the Zeros wing.  The Zero then did a split s and tried to maneuver away from Lt. Gale.  Lt. Gale didn't follow as the two aircraft were only about 500 to 700 feet from the ground.  The Zero ended up crashing trying to avoid Lt. Gales attack.  

These kills were the last credited to the 80th FG in Curtiss P-40s before thier switch over to the P-47 Thunderbolt in the summer of 1944.  These kills raised the 80th FG total kills while operating the P-40 to 40 air to air kills.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 03:41:40 PM »
I LOVE IT!  I hope it gets published in the MA!

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 04:09:36 PM »
Thanks TBolt..It took awhile to get the skull correct.  I've still got alot of work on it to do but this is the basic scheme.  Basically I've got the US Insignia to do and alot of weathering.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 04:34:15 PM »
Wow, fantastic piece of work on that skull.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 04:47:12 PM »
Thanks Greenbo.  Here's the photos I got from Ringup that were given to him by his Uncle Mr. Robert N. Gale.  It's all I had to go on for this particular bird other than what Mr. Gale can recall from back in 1944.  The photos were prior to him getting his kills so those were added in accordance with what Mr. Gale could remember.  The skull isn't perfect but it's fairly close to the actual paint job.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 04:49:40 PM by Cobra412 »

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:56:20 PM »
OMFG THATS THE PLANE OF MY DREAMS WTG!! is it a P-40 E or B?

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 05:01:28 PM »
TB this paint scheme is actually from a P-40N but it's on the AH P-40E.  There are some differences in the two birds but I felt it was worth doing considering it's my squad mates Uncle.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 05:39:48 PM »
I'm puttin' that one in as my favorite P40 whenever it gets published.  Are you going to have to weather the skull at all?  It'd be a shame to sacrifice any of its shining glory.

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 05:50:40 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Wadke's Father or Grandfather involved with this aircraft?  May wanna ask him for some pics or things of the sort.

:edit: saw your post from a week or so ago.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 05:56:25 PM by United »

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 06:03:56 PM »
TBolt I will do some paint fading and minor chipping of the paint in areas.  You can see there is an access panel for the engine right in the center of the mouth itself.  I will be depicting that chipping especially considering it's authentic.  I'm also doing some other chipping and weathering from a photo of another aircraft in that squadron.  It was actually one of Mr. Gales friends.  

United if I can get ahold of Wadke I'll ask if he has an info on the P-40.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 08:21:26 PM »
your welcome cobra glad it helped.

the template is incomplete on the lower surface around the landing gear wells so you will need to work on those spots if you havent already

S!

looks great! love the skull did you draw it yourself?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »
Here's some updated photos. of the left and right fuselage.  Unfortunately I will have to weather the Skull and name on both sides. Just so they will fit with the rest of the bird.

I still have alot to do.  The numbers, skull, name and both the top and bottom of the wings need to be weathered.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »
Thanks again Fester for you template.  I haven't done anymore detailing on the bottom yet.  I've got some old 3 view line drawings I'll be using to finish it up.  

I did have to do that skull from scratch though.  The artist that was in Mr. Gales squadron did very unique skulls for the 88th so there was nothing even close to atleast start an outline.  Thanks again for the template...

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 10:20:02 PM »
Cobra:

That's fantastic!  Let's make sure RingUp's uncle gets a chance to see it!!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 10:25:49 PM »
I'm sorry but my great uncle was a F4F pilot not a P-40 pilot... He was killed in a straffing attack at Midway while trying to save his friend...which he did and as a result lost his own life.

I do study the P-40 a lot though. It's one of my favorite aircraft to fly and once i get photoshop up and running i'll start to try making some skins. will take a while though to get used to it

any tips? i'm all ears :D