Author Topic: P-40E Dikam Death  (Read 2487 times)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2004, 07:24:55 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Little known fact, with the exception of the P-38, the P-40 was flown by more aces than the P-47 and the P-51D in the PTO/CBI theater.  And the majority of those aces in the P-47 and the P-51 were already aces when they were still in the P-40.  

ack-ack

Interesting!

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 03:02:20 PM »
I need some feedback on the weathering for the wings.  I still need to do leading edge work on the main wings and the horizontals.  But how does the top look, too much or too little?

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2004, 03:25:39 PM »
IMHO, needs more weathering.  The authentic pictures that you uploaded earlier made it look like this fighter had really put in a lot of airtime.

btw, Cobra, I picked one of your photos at Picture of the Week at Picture Hangar.  PLEASE...do not delete the pic anytime before next weekend!  :lol

Thank you,

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2004, 05:41:04 PM »
Okay, to be a contrarian...

I think the weathering you have looks good, it is really easy to overdo it.  Look at a taken photo at the same distance the plane appears to be in your jpg and try to match that.  You see a bunch of stuff up close that you cannot see at a distance.  

Look at the picture you posted of Dikam Death.  The CBI is a fairly primitive Theater.  There is oil visible but not much chipping on the cowl.  The paint on the leading edge looks fairly beat up, but the fuselage side is not bad at all.  I'd bet the walkway is badly worn, but the outer wings should be pretty clean.

You tend to see chipping on American airplanes in places where people move around, or on the edges of panels that are removable.  You generally see no chipping at all on outer panels or National Markings.

The forward edges of the wings and tail will chip and weather over time, particularly if there is rain common.  Rain, strangely enough, will strip the paint right off a high-speed airplane, but only the leading edges. I'd suspect that repainting in the field was common in WWII.  Note the 'patchy' appearance of many airplanes.

This is all a long-winded way of saying 'less is more'.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2004, 05:50:43 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys.  I may just have to post the unfinished skin somewhere so folks can get a closer look at it.  The upper fuselage is done I think.  I'll just have to let the community and HTC decide if it's worthy enough to place in the game.

I really do appreciate your inputs guys.  Helps alot.  Overtime your mind gets all jumbled staring at the flat skin and even at the skin in the game.