Author Topic: Questions about the damage modelling..  (Read 171 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Questions about the damage modelling..
« on: August 26, 2004, 05:21:12 PM »
I've always wondered about this. Does Aces High use internal damage modelling as well as external?

For example, something like this;

For instance, if I receive large amount of damage on the wing and it snaps off.. what are the dynamics behind the wings snapping off?

If some bullets strike the wings, I see holes appearing on the exact spot it was hit - this is very good.

Then, how does the wing snap off?

a) Does it snap off if the bullet is determined to have hit a wing spar/support structure, and it receives enough damage to be declared "destroyed"?

b) Or, will the wing fall off no matter where it strikes on the wing(as long as it hits a general area) - as long as enough bullets land on the wing surface, it will be declared "destroyed", and the wing will snap off?

In most cases of damage I receive it seems like that AH is the b) case.. but some elements of damage like radiators or guns - which are internal equipment in most cases - seems to suggest AH does have some sort of internal damage modelling intact.

I've always assumed AH was like a), until bullet holes started to appear exactly on the spot where it was hit in AH2.

In AH2 I've seen a lot of cases where bullet holes appear at a certain spot - like the 3rd machine gun pit at the wing of the P-47.. and then that exact gun would ceases to function.

This got me thinking, that perhaps we don't know as much about as how AH works, as we think we do. Also, it would help to know just how AH works - since misunderstanding due to lack of information is in many cases the prime reason for people posting stupid things and annoying HT or Pyro.

When we hear a "ping" inside our cockpit, but receive no damage... just what exactly does this mean?

Does it mean;

a) The bullet hit the wing. But it didn't hit a vital area which lies inside the wing, so no apparent damage

or

b) The wing itself is a large "block" with certain amount of "hitpoints". So, one bullet strike is not sufficient to destroy the wing.

Again, I used to think that AH is b)... but now I'm not quite so sure anymore. If an AP round in AH hits the wings continuously in a seeming non-vital area, then will the wing stay intact, or will it still fall off if the damage received is enough??

The reason I'm so curious about this, is  that I'm wondering where the next big "evolution" in AH would be. The good competition of IL2/FB series, has shown that it takes years of fixes and patches to finally come down to a DM which is generally acceptable and logical - which models separate types of bullets such as AP, HE, APIT, HEIT and etc etc.. and also calculates different types of damage such as 'penetration', 'bounce', 'surface explosion' and etc etc.

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 05:31:22 AM »
I dont think they do. Not sure tho.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:08:17 AM »
I don't think HT will tell you exactly what he does do.

But I'd be willing to bet a 6 pack of homebrew thats its better/more complicated than you suspect.

Either that or he stepped outside the box again.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 09:03:41 AM »
I know its speculation but from what I've gathered I think that each section of the airframe and it's individual components have piont value assigned to it. Once that damage point value is exceeded that part falls off or is no longer operable. I don't know exactly how many sections or parts are modelled but I think it goes something along those lines.......again, all speculation on my part