Author Topic: Real question to HT...  (Read 6764 times)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2004, 06:52:55 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong Animal. Doesn't propriotory rights expire on music after a period of time ?? Fill me in.

Sign offs for the maker of the movie I wouldn't think would be a problem.

A contest for a movie would be a good thing. I'm taking bets on the winner tho..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 01:31:05 AM »
Originally posted by nopoop
Correct me if I'm wrong Animal. Doesn't propriotory rights expire on music after a period of time ?? Fill me in.

Sign offs for the maker of the movie I wouldn't think would be a problem.

A contest for a movie would be a good thing. I'm taking bets on the winner tho..

For the most part they do not expire as you may think. It all depends on the owner. Someone owns the rights, if they choose to ignore it then so be it. But you NEVER want to ignore asking permission, the bite could really suck.

Aretha Franklin still owns the rights to her songs and NEVER lets them be used for ANYTHING without being paid. Period.

M. Jackson bought the rights to the Beattles tunes.

Nothing really dies in this industry. But it all depends on the contract they sign with what ever record company etc...

A LOT of artist still make a living off their songs being used in commercials.

AF, cracked a deal where she would not allow anyone to sing her songs except her for commcials, a car commercial got her $6 million. How old are her tunes>?

See what I mean, just because they don't get radio air play, doesn't mean the artist isn't making money.

John Folgerty got screwed, screwed himself, he almost never made a penny on his, because he doesn't own the rights, he gave that to the record company basically by mistake.

Robin Zandler from Cheap trick lives in a trailor park last I heard, because the guitar player somehow ended up with all the rights. He's rich, Zandler (the singer) is not.

But it all boils down to the dollar.
It all depends on who owns the rights and what they want to do about them.

Hope I made sense

~A

Offline AWCHKRS

• Copper Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2004, 09:53:30 AM »
Originally posted by FT_Animal
I dunno, I don't think awards should be given to people who just make things. But I do back the idea of competition, flight ladders etc... with a sponsor deliveriing the prize. The only time in AW I didn't pay my own way was when I was game staff\Tech. And I made a LOT of things for AW. Hell EA.com requested to use my website for their version of AW, and they never even offered me anything at all. So when you make things it's best to understand you take it on by yourself and do it as a community contribution, not with the idea to get prizes or pay for it.  Making things for pay has nothing to do with community contributions, it focuses on you and thats selfish.

If you start offering people money or free time you'll have 200 peope turning out bogus, if not harmful, products to get that free time and that's really not a good idea.

If you are Staff or win a piloting competition that's different.

Players CAN talk to manufacturers/distributers and some will provide/sponsor the event for advirtising purposes.  As long as it's 100% legit.

They will probably contact HTC to have them award the prize to make sure it's done properly with their products. If someone were to not recieve the prize then that looks bad to the sponsor, and can generate bad PR, in which case they won't do it again.

A lot of time in AW the prize was a CH stick and pedal setup. But those wee for piloting ladders etc..

2 more cents.

Anim

Agreed ! ......
also, Animal.....

I remember alot of the cool work you did for AW  .....
 I also still miss the gameplay and total fun of AW Big Time still !
 EA ......well, I really do not have any thing good to say about them and their parent company AOL .....except KMA  or something along those lines and quotes from all of us who were AW players when they killed it......
 Regards .
 CHECKERS  aka CUCA`S SQUAD CHKRS .........

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
re: AW prizes
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2004, 10:38:05 PM »
The CH prizes were for KOTH winners.  AW had nothing to do with it.  Ever.

KOTH is a 327th Steel Talons squad party, traditionally on the first Friday of the month.  KOTH was opened to AW members because it was just too much fun for one squad.

STICK arranged for the prizes.  EA tried to hijack KOTH, ticked off STICK, and he trademarked KOTH personally.  

As far as I know STICK has not yet been consulted regarding a KOTH in AH, nor has he yet taken exception to "KOTH" in AH.  

Too bad  it's not on Friday.  Saturday just isn't KOTH day.  Too bad STICK hasn't been honored for KOTH.

We run KOTH's occasionally as a squad nite party still.  If you want an invite to the party, maybe KOTH can live again.

HONK!

Gooss
327th Steel Talons FS
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2004, 12:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Some of the skins submitted atleast imho arent worth 15 bucks :p

Who decides who gets what?

lol
historical reaserch about aircraft - 15-18h
painting- about 20-40 h
tests and touch ups -4-5 h
and thats only for external skin not counting cockpit, all build form scraches not looking at oryinlal htc panellines...........

let say somone will like pay 10$ per hour

as noopop said its passion
a hell if somone wil pay me by the 10$ by the hour i can do it:) butnot for free month of AH ;)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Re: re: AW prizes
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2004, 09:17:17 AM »
Originally posted by Gooss

KOTH is a 327th Steel Talons squad party, traditionally on the first Friday of the month.  KOTH was opened to AW members because it was just too much fun for one squad.

STICK arranged for the prizes.  EA tried to hijack KOTH, ticked off STICK, and he trademarked KOTH personally.  

As far as I know STICK has not yet been consulted regarding a KOTH in AH, nor has he yet taken exception to "KOTH" in AH.  

Too bad  it's not on Friday.  Saturday just isn't KOTH day.  Too bad STICK hasn't been honored for KOTH.

We run KOTH's occasionally as a squad nite party still.  If you want an invite to the party, maybe KOTH can live again.

HONK!

Gooss
327th Steel Talons FS

lol  ya.. Having CH sponser our AW KOTH nights was great! Except they were not 'our' KOTH nights anymore.. haha I had left AW for AH about a month before STICK got CH onboard. I remembered thinking, "damn, I could have won my sticks rather than buy them.."  lol  But, alas, I was already playing AH and was pretty mad about AW.. hehe I would have won them, I would have won them all!!

STICK! Thanks for some great times bro!

I dunno what is needed, but something is needed for such players that contribute so much to the AH community in maps and skins..  Some of you guys doing the work so far might not want prizes/recognition for work done, but that says nothing about if you deserve it or not.. Some sort of prize would make more folk contribute to the community and in turn supply the community with a better product. IMveryHO, HTC should jump at this and recognize it as a way of support for it's community that already supports HTC w/ money, time, and effort...

If HTC donates a month subscription once a month, it seems a small price to pay on money saved them by the community in time/effort spent making maps/skins..

Let the community vote. Want a closer, more sown community? Let it vote for best map/best skin.. What does HTC have to gain from this? Other than reasons already stated, the next thread about the loathing of a particular skin/map, HT only needs to reply with, "It was YOUR vote!"...

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2004, 12:28:50 PM »
It is fun giving away others people's money, hunh?

Frenchy, if I am not mistaken, wanted to increase the usage and appreciation of the P-47s in AH.  Did he start a thread suggesting that HT should donate money to encourage this increase?  No, he donated a prize himself to be given away.

You want to reward the skinners, you donate the prize.

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
Re: re: AW prizes
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2004, 02:53:38 PM »
Originally posted by Gooss

HONK!

Gooss
327th Steel Talons FS

I don't think KOTH was the only prize thing, I could swear early AW had some thing going, but not 100% sure. I do know I saw those prizes posted more then once over 7-8 years I was there. But I'm not arguing, just mabye not remembering 100%.

It also proves my point where as HTC doesn't have to promote or give the prizes. This is where *community* does things on their own. Organize things like this.  It doesn't HAVE to be a HTC thing, however, it really IS good PR to do it once a year or something to show appeciation to the community.

Just thoughts

Anim

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2004, 04:36:46 PM »
I've corresponded quite a few times with Stick about AH's KOTH.

At the time I spoke to him, long before the event (or Wild Wednesday; it's precedessor) had started in AH; the subject had his enthusiastic support; and I've no reason to think that's changed.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2004, 07:00:52 PM »
As I said before, don't make skinning a contest. There's guys trying something they've never done before and having a blast doing it. Other guys giving tips helping out. There learning as they go, and each one is a little better. A passion filled little club of skinners.

A contest is just the first step down a road I don't want to go as far as skinning goes.

Please leave well enough alone.

If you see one you like, tell the guy that painted it. That's all that's required.

If a skinner does a nice skin, everytime a pilot picks it out of the hanger he's just givin props to the painter.

2 centavo's
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Real question to HT...
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2004, 07:06:25 PM »
Please, dont make skinning a competition.  I enjoy skinning, even though my skins are nowhere near submission caliber.  I enjoy skinning for the sake of skinning, not for prizes.  The greatest thanks I could ever get is a "Good skin.  I really enjoy it."

Theres no need to give away things to skinners, terrain builders, or sound makers.  I speak for several when I say that a "Good skin" or "I love that terrain/sound!" is the greatest thanks someone could get.

Also, if skinning is made into a competition, advanced skinners would be less willing to share their secrets with the less skilled skinners such as myself.  Each bit of help makes my skins look better.  I dont want to lose that priviledge.

Just as nopoop said, "HT gave us the opportunity to do some great things. Let us have the fun of it."

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2004, 07:20:10 PM »
I would Donate a prize. I'll have to ask Hitech to see I don't cross his conflict of interest.

But I would be willing to Offer a very nice prize to the winning skin that the community voted on.

The only problem is The "best" skin may not be picked, the person who has the most friends in AHII would win.  From seeing some of these submissions it would be a really hard call, to call one person the winner. The winner really is the community.

Still, I wouldn't mind maybe twice a year donating a very unique object emblazed with the winning skin:)

HiTech, the ball is in your court.

NUTTZ

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Real question to HT...
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »
Is it inflatable? or Wooly? Does it make bleeting sounds when squeezed?

What is it Nuttz???!!!!

Heck I'd settle for some hi-peed hosting for the 2.5 soundpack in progress...lol

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2004, 08:51:47 PM »
No contests, please!

I am an IPMS member, that's plastic models.

I don't build for contests, there is no way I can be competitive.

Contests here will result in the same.

A few great skinners will continue, everyone else will become frustrated and quit.

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
Real question to HT...
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2004, 09:58:27 AM »
Originally posted by glenmorangie
No contests, please!

I am an IPMS member, that's plastic models.

I don't build for contests, there is no way I can be competitive.

Contests here will result in the same.

A few great skinners will continue, everyone else will become frustrated and quit.

I think a contest for prizes should be for a competition that can only be won by the individual, no typing of voting. I personally don't think a votng type contest would work, there's always too much controversy.

I think it should be more definate, like meeting cartains goals, such as KOTH, etc..

I personally think you'd have problems with a contest where a person wins by votes.

But nopoop makes a great offer. ;-)

2 cents
Anim