Author Topic: Any old Air Warriors out there?????  (Read 146978 times)

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2005, 08:36:16 PM »
Right now its mostly refelxes and the flight model.

In AW I knew exactly how hard I could reef into a turn with each plane I flew, and what more, I knew the capabilities of the planes that were against me so I KNEW where I could pick them up in my visual scan.

Tonight I found myself losing my opponent frequently, not that i would have mattered much since I couldn't out fly him .

It'll come back. I'm just not used to being on this end of things.

Shaky
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2005, 11:20:55 PM »
Yippee in AW.  I started playing in the free AOHell days.  I flew for Cland most of the time, but didn't fly much until I joined the Cutthroats Mercenary Company shortly before the demise of AW.  I flew just about every scenario that I could get in though (except for Somme, for which I got roped into being a CM - ugh).  I was in the stuka group in Operation Husky that launched for our second flight just as the bombs from the B-25s overhead were hitting the runway.  We all died as soon as we launched.  Red screen.  Ugh.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2005, 01:15:54 AM »
Originally posted by AWkrull
Anyone know what ever happened to LPN?:confused:  
She was here for a while, but I've not seen her for some time.
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2005, 09:32:43 AM »
Originally posted by Yippee38
snip
I was in the stuka group in Operation Husky that launched for our second flight just as the bombs from the B-25s overhead were hitting the runway.  We all died as soon as we launched.  Red screen.  Ugh.

Ahh, yes, you were in Gnatz's Stooka groop :)

After making what amounted to a milk run for your first mission, he and I gloated to each other when he reported in...and we agreed he'd take the group out for an immediate second run.

Moments later he's telling me he's got 9 dead, LOL!

If I recall right, that was the same frame a P38 flight managed to go NOE straight to an airfield where we had 109s upping, and the 109s were slow to launch....so they got the crap vulched out of them :lol

Lesson learned: when in a crowded combat environment, send out a scout before launching all aircraft ;)

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Air Warrior
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2005, 10:45:10 AM »
Air Warrior, later to become Air Warrior 3, is a WW2 flight combat sim much like Aces High. I joined VMF 525 during the later stages of their time in AW3, which was some years ago. We left AW3 mostly because of the constant boots. You'd regularly get booted and it might take fifteen minutes to get back to the game, if you could get back at all. Actually, being the newbie at the time, the others decided to leave and I followed.

We went to Warbirds after that- another sim like Aces High. I forget exactly why but the squad became unhappy with that one, as well, and ended up in Aces High. I didn't follow as I had just bought a new computer and didn't want to load another game on it. One of the other guys stayed at Warbirds. I ended up giving up on the flight sims entirely, albeit with somewhat of a heavy heart.

When I won this new Alienware gaming computer, I decided I just had to get back into the flight sims and tracked down the old VMF 525 squadron through their forum. So, here I am.

As someone alluded to earlier on this thread, I don't know if AW3 is still there, or not. I believe Warbirds is as one of the squaddies suggested doing a free two week trial to participate in some big special event they had going on a few months ago. I wasn't going to load a new game up just to play for two weeks. Aces High is fine with me.

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2005, 12:00:45 AM »
Geezus.....I just saw NetAces used my stallfighting lecture on their site. Damn, I hope they don't see me now .
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline RookieCAF

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.cactusairforce.org/~rookie/blog/
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2005, 07:53:30 PM »
Hiya Shaky, All. The Look At Ewe Page never fails to elicit a chuckle, and I made sure I saved a copy of that new Moggy Sighting Pic:rofl

Offline Wind

• Zinc Member
Re: Air Warrior
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2005, 05:55:43 AM »
Originally posted by xtyger

When I won this new Alienware gaming computer, I  

Someday I'm gonna win something.

I'm hoping for a real life...   :p

W~

Offline jazzman6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2005, 06:21:16 AM »
Jazzman <666th>

Started life as GEnie tail 5157 in 1993, when I got a CRIS account was something like 3671 or something.

Actually RB (Red Beard) and I still fly together in AH on Fridays.

-Jazz

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Re: Any old Air Warriors out there?????
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2005, 10:02:37 PM »
Originally posted by ->OD
Hey, I was curious if anyone here is an old hand from the AirWarrior-AirWarrior 3D days? I was hoping someone with a sense of nostalgia would revive AW3 some day, but I don't think it will happen. I would like to get in touch with some people from the old days if there are any in here and possibly start flying again. So if you used to play AW3 please reply and let me know your old AW cpid and squadron.

Thanks
->OD
"WidowMakers Squadron"

I was X-Fil.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2005, 10:19:16 PM »
Ren #795, a dweeb. Cris account. Cland ruled.
:D

Offline Quarters

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.jeff-hanna.com
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2005, 06:14:10 AM »
Quarters, 2791. Used to have the privledge of telling Shaky what to do.

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2005, 10:39:29 AM »
Originally posted by Brooke

I remember in the early days fighting Ghost Rider, Bushwacker, B-Man, DeathWish, and Airmigan a lot, and 715 once in a while.  

I'm still on the old mailing list for the Musketeers squad. B-man popped in there some time ago, and Stiletto shows up every now and again. If memory serves Velcro-Fly made an appearance many moons back as well. Bug is still an avid poster there, as is Rapier. Haven't heard from Bushwacker in ages though, going back to the GEnie days.

Many are still in touch though. Amazing after all these years. Says a lot for the community that was forged around that bit of code Kelton created. Look what it started. If there's a gaming Hall of Fame, that guy should be on the short list.

I'll drop a note to the Muskie mailing list and point folks in this direction for their yearly blast of nostalgia. There's still a few dusty old farts reading it I think. ;->

Oh...and *waves* to all the old AW folks. Great seeing so many familiar faces!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 10:43:53 AM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline jazzman6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2005, 10:52:15 AM »
Originally posted by Vortex
Many are still in touch though. Amazing after all these years. Says a lot for the community that was forged around that bit of code Kelton created. Look what it started. If there's a gaming Hall of Fame, that guy should be on the short list.

Ain't that the truth. Anybody know how he's doing - he was in tough shape last thing I knew.

How about BB - what's he up to?

-Jazz

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2005, 11:20:35 AM »
Originally posted by jazzman6
Ain't that the truth. Anybody know how he's doing - he was in tough shape last thing I knew.

How about BB - what's he up to?

-Jazz

OH, didn't know that about Kelton. I certainly hope he is ok!

I think Rapier might still be in touch with BB. Not 100% sure though. I sent him an email anyway suggesting he point him in this direction if he is.

The last time I exchanged some emails with him was a few years back. He was working at Microsoft at the time if I recall right. He'd picked up a small recreational plane of some sort as well, I just don't rememberl what make/model now. He was enjoying the heck out of it though!

Hopefully we'll see him wander through here.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort