Author Topic: First Impresions Report  (Read 186 times)

Altair

First Impresions Report
« on: October 29, 1999, 04:02:00 PM »
Hi everybody.
This is the FIR from a newbie in AH, with no more than one hour total flight time (off & online).
I had been flying WBs online during more than two years, but left before the summer just when they add the AI drones and I fly yet a lot offline.
Two days ago I found Hitech web and grabbed the beta.
My first think was this was rabbish, a low quality sim, with a rather confusing views system, and lacking the most important planes.
Anyway I jumped on line in a SpitIX and soon I shoot down a Pony, just a like shoot but with two impacts a blew up its right wing.
I flew away from a furball seing that I was unable to even manage the views. And shortly my engine stops...no fuel. Damm I took off with 25% only (WBs default was 50%!!).
Second ride I answer the call of USA for B17 buffers and join him and Duck-something to strike. Only to ralize that I hevent took a single bomb onboard, and even couldn't reach the gunner postions. Is already this implemented in the beta?.
So I tried to Kamikaze the enmy field but I couldn't control de buff in the dive and....SMASH, harmless for it far away.
Well nice.
after a while with the views I find then great, the flying impression is better than in WBs, the groun grafics at altitude are better as well and the planes superb from outside.
What I dont like or I'm not used to it yet:
1. The huge numbers of sheep on the ground...
2. The frames of the cockpits are unreal, poor and take out much of the feeling, here WBs wins.
3. The smoke trails from the bullets. I have seen a fired real gunfire, never seen this trail even with tracers. Gives a "nintendo" game impression, remove smoke quickly!!.
4. The field walking from tower to everywere, nice the first hour, boring at least after that.
5. All planes uses same dials and instruments, good for learning but poor sensation of be in diferents planes.
6. ¿Where is the sea?.  

Well, but after all I think it is a very good promissing sim. and from the short time you are developping it, has a good shape.

Will keep trainig up there.

Pirado

First Impresions Report
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 1999, 04:15:00 PM »
I agree bout the sheeps problem.
I already told Hitech to use beautiful girls.
Always when i meet him in the area i say that. He must be pissed off of me and.. will never put girls there... anyway.. i tryed  

Poof...

TT

First Impresions Report
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 1999, 04:28:00 PM »
Girls sunning themselves on beach towels. Hmmmmm.

IceNine

First Impresions Report
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 1999, 06:25:00 PM »
That brings a horrifying vision of trying to land a damaged plane in an open field TT.
" 'scuse me pardon me 'scuseme WATCHOUTWOMAN!! nice bikini COMING THROUGH!! 'scuse pardon... "

TT

First Impresions Report
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 1999, 07:11:00 PM »
 It might be a can of worms. Overmodeled blondes, undermodeled redheads, that sort of thing. Ya know how the guys on this board can get.

Brick

First Impresions Report
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 1999, 07:20:00 PM »
"My first think was this was rabbish, a low quality sim, with a rather confusing views system, and lacking the most important planes."

Uh... it's a BETA!  Why is this so squealing hard for people to understand???

-Andy

aircat

First Impresions Report
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 1999, 08:09:00 PM »
well as for smoke trails, (I believe HT is trying to check a few things on grafix in this department) (somewhere he mentioned its only temporary)

the cockpits are due to change as anyone in the 0.37 have seen the 51 changed for poly count reasons. (hopefully it will get is nose job redone)

sheep are more tests for results.

everything going on has its reasons. as for view system reset them in the setup. you can match War Birds in what you have there or like me I changed it slightly and like it better now.

the walk around the field can be cured easily enough... learn the "." commands you can fuel adjust ord. and select plane.

if you dont like the sheep hit ctrl+c

Offline scout

• Zinc Member
First Impresions Report
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 1999, 12:53:00 AM »
About the smoke trails, they look to symmetrical.

Whenever a plane or gound AAA fires it leaves a sunfeather like spread of perfectly symmetrical straight lines.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
First Impresions Report
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 1999, 01:05:00 AM »
Oh for Christs sake

Altair

First Impresions Report
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 1999, 02:27:00 PM »
Brick...
not too hard to understand that it is a Beta, a  bete better than many final products
i.e. : Microsoft Fighter Ace.
But because has default and it is a beta we are here arguing.
aircat...
Thanks for the cues. I dont konw a lot still about this sim. Got to map the keybrd and gone to the guns in B17. Very, very good. Much better than in WBs.
The P51 cockpit has improve a lot. This is the way a like, but I dont like P51...waiting for other planes ;-)

I found yesterday the B17 is quite lethal, more than in WBs I think.

My vote for the "Girls sunning themselves on beach towels" instead sheeps.

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
First Impresions Report
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 1999, 02:48:00 PM »
Altair,

There is a control-'key' function for getting rid of the sheep. There is also a 'slider' function in setup to shorten or even get rid of the 'walking around the field' part of the game.

Tracers will be modified shortly I hear. BTW actual tracers DID leave smoke trails - some more than others. High altitude condensation also played a part in this.

New terrains are obviously going to be implemented in the very near future - most likely with water.  

The cockpits are the only one of your complaints that isn't due to be remedied as far as I know.  The view system is exactly like WarBirds with an added pan effect.  Don't see what's so complex about them.

------------------
~Lt. Jg. Windle~

VF-17 The Jolly Rogers 8X
      Skychrgr@aol.com

Offline scout

• Zinc Member
First Impresions Report
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 1999, 06:12:00 AM »
>Oh for Christs sake

Ok, you don't share my opinion, or think its minor.
It is minor, very minor even.

It looks synthetic, reminds me of one of the simpler screen saver pictures.

Real gun camera footage I've seen (long ago, don't remember exactly how it looked), the smoke trails are ragged, not as perfect as they look in AH.