Author Topic: What Happened To The Closed-Top Hangars?  (Read 164 times)

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
What Happened To The Closed-Top Hangars?
« on: October 29, 1999, 10:03:00 PM »
In the early screenshots of AH, I saw a P-51D sitting in a classic hangar.  All we have here are two green fences around the plane.  Will there be new terrains with thise normal hangars, or was that screenshot made just to show the method of choosing ordinance?

------------------
rendar
F/S R.A.F. Squadron 303 (Polish)

TT

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 1999, 10:37:00 PM »
  The sun beating down on them warms up the planes. Thats why you can take right off without warming up the motor.

dont know what were gonna do when we get clouds.

[This message has been edited by TT (edited 10-29-1999).]

Offline glars

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 1999, 11:11:00 PM »

dont know what were gonna do when we get clouds.

Seasonal selections in the hangar (currently in alpha testing) includes:

Umbrella - handheld
Headgear - sou'wester

Umbrella - beach
Headgear - baseball cap

Might be a while yet though - a difficult-to-trace wind temperature bug is making selection difficult (and sometimes uncomfortable).

------------------
Glars
RNZAF
 http://glarsmaps.warbirds.org  

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 1999, 11:38:00 PM »
Can I have one of those floppy eared Hunter hats?

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 1999, 12:46:00 AM »
Those that pay $2/hr will have air-conditioned hangers.  The rest will have the current configuration plus all the sheep presents. Am opting for high boots myself.

-floo-

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 1999, 01:36:00 AM »
Right on...I get air conditioning! woo hooo!  

------------------
-floo- fangs out
333rd Red Dawgs
JG 5 Eismeer

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 1999, 02:32:00 PM »
I believe the original 'hangar' art was replaced because it looked more like something out of a 1980's jet fighter movie with all the yellow & black striped tape and all.  The current set-up has more of a period feel.  I do agree that some type of WWII-era hangar setup would also be cool as the larger fields.  Throw in red & white checkered water towers and rows of actual aircraft parked in revetments and we'll be on the right track!  

Some people discount deep visual immersion, but to me it remains the most important factor to a good sim outside of the phisics model.  When I attack a field I want the whole chalupa!    Also, throw in trucks that perform AI tasks around the base, bomb tractor-trolleys, HQ and barracks (or tents depending on the field), See Bees and their vehicles that actually work at rebuilding base damage, player controlled ack, etc, etc.  

------------------
~Lt. Jg. Windle~

VF-17 The Jolly Rogers 8X
      Skychrgr@aol.com

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 1999, 03:58:00 PM »
The hanger shape is still in the game, but it is going to be used as a bombable object.  We just haven't put them in the airfields because we haven't decided how destroying them will affect the airfields.

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"The Artist Formerly Known As MONKEY"
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD

John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 1999, 05:36:00 PM »
Destroying hangars could inluence how much of a particular ordinance you could take.  For example, the B-17G can carry 12x500lb bombs.  If one of four hangars is destroyed, it could only take 9x500lb bombs, or 3/4 of the normal bombload.  
Also, it would be nice if you could see aircraft inside the hangars and people moving around inside.  If you were making a strafing run towards the hangar opening, the people would hide somewhere, and you could blow up the plane, bombs, fuel, and whatever else would be in there.

------------------
rendar

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 1999, 05:43:00 PM »
Limiting ordance is already tied to the ammo bunkers.

HiTech

Offline Rendar

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 1999, 07:14:00 PM »
DOH!  I didn't think of that.  I will brainstorm this and give you my results in some time.

------------------
rendar

Offline Windle

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 1999, 03:15:00 AM »
Two ideas:

I remember hearing that quick refueling & rearming stops would be implemented in the near future.  You could tie in the hangars to this feature, not allowing the planes to quck stop, thus stopping their scoring streak at the time they land as is done now.

Another idea would be to have up to 10 hangars at a field.  Each one would be tied into a field clock that would delay departing pilots 1 second each.  If, say, all 10 of the hangars were destroyed then a departing pilot would have to wait ten seconds before he could depart, (+1/2 to 1 second for every pilot who was already in the waiting line to depart).  I think making players wait 10 - 15 seconds is ample strategic punisment for failing to defend their field, without being too annoying for game play.  If the enemy can completely knock out 10 sparsely placed hangars at a field then the defenders should expect some kind of regeneration fatigue.  While waiting, their FE could automatically go into external view at the field to keep them entertained with the carnage during their wait.    This would also lend some extra SA that most pilots wouldn't normally take the time to gather before going to the runway at a field under attack.  

A fair way to implement the latter idea would be to put 10 hangars at large fields, and 5 hangars at small fields.  The large field hangars would be worth the 1 second of 'pilot delay time' each, and the small field hangars would be worth the full 2 second each.  This would account for resources at larger fields being in more abundant supply, and more dispersed than at smaller fields.

Just an idea.

------------------
~Lt. Jg. Windle~

VF-17 The Jolly Rogers 8X
       Skychrgr@aol.com  

[This message has been edited by Windle (edited 10-31-1999).]