Author Topic: Two country arena revisited  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Two country arena revisited
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
Dolo: "Switching to the weak side shows class as far as I'm concerned."

Well, I fly for both Rooks and Knights, I have alot of friends from other squads (ok, just a handful of friends ;p)) that fly for Rook. When my squaddies are not flying, I usually will fly for Rooks.  When squad is up, I fly Knights.

I *have* changed countries based on numerical superiority alone, going to the STRONG side.. One afternoon, Knights had 2 airfields, Rooks/Bish were vulching those 2 airfields, so rather than die everytime I tried to take off, I switched to rooks and starting attacking Bish. This, in turn, relieved the Knights from being vulched, since I was intercepting the Bish enroute to the vulch fest...I felt like a mercenary  

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »

Oh yeah, and of those 2 nights of 2 v 1. One of them was last night. It was Rooks against both the Knights and Bishops.

And the Rooks, had both of them down to 2 or 3 bases each

Actually, Vermillion, the vast majority of bishops and knits were still battling it out over bishop f1 (which the Knights had captured) while the rooks went on a rampage over the rest of the map, alternately concentrating on knitland and then bishopland.  Can't blame rooks for that, its our fault if we ignore their threat.  There simply weren't enough planes to try to get f1 back from the knits -- thus protecting our radar -- and put a stop the rook advance.

As I said in my original post, I have a blast regardless.  But there were many people on the Bishops that were frustrated and damn if it didn't hurt my ears.  The point is, what will happen to those people when they have the alternative of the multi-player free arenas?  Are they going to log out and wait for the map reset?  No one can say for sure, but I would bet $100 that if they existed now that Bishop numbers would have fallen into the single digits at those times based on how frustrated people were on the country channel.  Heck, they fell into the teens for both Knits and Bishops without the arenas being around.

Gordo

[This message has been edited by Lance (edited 02-02-2000).]

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2000, 02:20:00 PM »
Hang..

A 4 country setup will involve much more strat than a 2 or 3 country setup.

A 2 country setup is just gona be one big furball. This is great for a HA arena setup,but for a lot of players in a Main Arena setting more strat would be prefered.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
The Bishops have 5646 kills and have been killed 4395 times against the Knights.

The Knights have 3388 kills and have been killed 4156 times against the Rooks.

The Rooks have 8618 kills and have been killed 7764 times against the Bishops.

Conclusion: The Bish beat the hell out of the Knights.

The Rooks beat the hell out of the Bishops.

The Knights beat the hell out of no one, so I'd like to propose that more of you join up with the Knights  

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Defected~)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2000, 03:18:00 PM »
Ah, Rip....

All those numbers prove is that Knights will stubbornly defend fields to the bitter end.  

Seriously, I don't believe you can really extrapolate anything useful from those numbers. I might quickly point out that for the bulk of the time those kills occurred, Knights were by far outnumbered and often facing a heinous alliance from the other two countries. Speaking as a pilot moving from one day of getting vultched to another, most of my deaths occurred right on the runway.  

'Course, I find that getting vultched while being a Rook or Bishop doesn't help my score either.  

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2000, 03:36:00 PM »
Lance, on that night that the Bishes were fighting for 1, I got very frustrated the we were getting gang-banged, so I switched to rook and started beating the KnitWits down up  north. Me, Pongo and Bull captured 17 in a beautiful mission then hit nit dar and city.  We drew lots of attention at 17, and drew many knights there to capture it, and rooks there to defend it.  While this was going on, the bishes were still hacking at 1, and eventually got it, probably because we had the Knitwits scrambling to save their main base and dar, leaving 1 more vunerable.  I find that if I'm having trouble striking my enemy at my present location, it is alot more fun to switch to another side and nail them.  It's a  win-win situation.  The rooks maintained a strong grip in KnitWit land, and Bishes got their main base back.  It beat the hell out of getting gang banged with no dar all night.

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
Exactly MarkVZ !!

And that is why a 3-front war works.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
Dicta Verm: "Never give the suckers an even break!" or translated "Never engage without an advantage"

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2000, 03:46:00 PM »
Hummm interesting,

Seems to me we already have a two sided arena.  I rarely see a time when one of the countries is really a non player.  For example 30 Bish, 37 Rook and 12 Knights.  Now the non-player country does rotate some but is normally the Knights.

When I log on I usually switch to the weaker of the two largest countries and go look for a fight with the largest country.  Logging on to the 3rd country is just suicidal, so I usually just ignore it.

If we go to a two country arena the only thing that would happen is that a few Knights would have to move to new digs  

Anyway why is it that Knights seem to be the least popular of the countries??

Sharky,

------------------
You can run, but you just die tired.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »
Right on Mark...I encourage those Bishops who feel they are getting beat down by inordinate numbers to switch to one of the other sides and hit the enemy.  For example if you switch to Nit, fite the Riks.  If you switch to Riks, fite the Nits.  Guess the same thing can go for the Nits and riks.

Now Vila...I think this tactic is more atune to treating the symptoms of a disease rather than treating the cause itself.  The problem is that countries dont fite each other evenly.  It usually degrades down to a 2 v 1 situation with one country being gangbanged.  I have to agree with the others in the belief that this problem would be solved if we went to a two country affair.

-Ding

HaHa

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »
A 2 country system would minimize "country jumpers" as well. I mean really, what is the point of having 3 countries. Their is no patriotism.. everyone just flies, shoots, dies without really caring about their country.. oh rah.

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2000, 04:29:00 PM »
It seems like the primary concern with a 2 country arena is that some people will switch to the side with the most numbers, thus leaving one country at a bigger disadvantage than now in that the country with the highest numbers doesn't have to worry about the combined forces of two adversaries.  The problem is that there is no guarantee that the two smaller foes will  quit fighting each other and turn on the larger foe.  Maybe four countries is a better way to do it than two, I haven't decided yet, but I don't think the 3 country arena is working well.

That someone feels they have to switch countries to the side with the most numbers to enjoy the arena play speaks volumes about the shortcomings of the present system to me.  No matter what country they choose to attack after making that change.  I haven't switched from the bishes since my second week here and I won't start now, unless it will be permanent.  Thats not a knock on Mark or anyone elses moving around, just a personal prefence of  mine.  

Sorry, I think this is just a case where we will have to agree to disagree

Gordo

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
Makes sense...

If you are losing, change sides fight the same war, same players, same locations and win!

Mino