Author Topic: External plane sounds  (Read 364 times)

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
External plane sounds
« on: September 05, 2004, 01:11:19 PM »
I'm thinking that this would be a great idea. You already have the internal engine sounds, so why not use external engine sounds as well?

It would be a great effect for the runways, as well as flyby's. A regular engine sound is labeled eng, and an external one could be labeled exeng.

Along with external sounds, we need more engine variations. Low RPM ratings sound much different from high RPM ratings. Such as 4 RPM variations, like LowRPM, MidRPM, HighRPM and WEP.

It wouldn't take much to do these things, and it would add that extra dimension of depth.

Offline AWCHKRS

• Copper Member
Re: External plane sounds
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 10:55:34 AM »
Originally posted by Fruda
I'm thinking that this would be a great idea. You already have the internal engine sounds, so why not use external engine sounds as well?

It would be a great effect for the runways, as well as flyby's. A regular engine sound is labeled eng, and an external one could be labeled exeng.

Along with external sounds, we need more engine variations. Low RPM ratings sound much different from high RPM ratings. Such as 4 RPM variations, like LowRPM, MidRPM, HighRPM and WEP.

It wouldn't take much to do these things, and it would add that extra dimension of depth.

The game has external sounds , and if  you download and install The Mitsu sound pack you will be amazed at the sounds that Mitsu has perpared for us to enjoy !
 Regards
 CHECKERS

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 02:48:15 PM »
Ditto 500% Fruda :)  I asked for this a few months ago when AH2 was beta.  

In addition to what you requested, I'll add:

Rough running or damaged engine sound.  Eg, similar to FB's oil leak and eventual engine seize.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 01:32:56 PM »
I don't think that AWC quite got what I was talking about.

Anyway, thanks for agreeing with me. These external sounds would really enhance flyby's, as well as just waiting at a field, as I said before.

Come on, HTC, it would kick ass.

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 09:57:45 PM »
We have external sounds, check your volume controls in set up.

It even has the doppler effect model so you can tell if the plane's either coming at you or flying away.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 10:33:17 PM »
I'm talking about the difference between the way an engine sounds in the cockpit, and the way it sounds outside.

They sound much, much different when heard from outside the plane, and other sims have extra sounds to simulate this.

FS2004 has external sounds, such as rpm4 for the high-rpm modes heard inside the cockpit, and xrpm4 for the high-rpm modes hear outside the cockpit.

I know that we have "external" sounds, to an extent. If we didn't, we wouldn't be able to hear other planes.

I'm just suggesting this because it would add to the ambience. The sound would be much richer this way.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 12:03:39 AM »
Actually with the soundpack I have and after listening to some old warbirds taking off and flying around at a recent airshow first hand.  I am amazed at just how much like the real thing  these sounds sound like.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 12:15:52 AM »
You have real Yak and La-5/7 sounds in yours?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 12:26:11 AM »
Originally posted by Fruda
You have real Yak and La-5/7 sounds in yours?

No idea about the Yak or La7's sounds. As I have never heard those engines irl.
 But the Corsair,38's B26's angine sounds from the exterior are spot on the money.

Wait. there was a Yak Trainer there. sounded nothing like whats here in any of the soundpacks. Actually it sounded more like the WWII plane sounds they use for movies. Kinda hard to explain.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 12:35:47 AM »
We're asking for more variety of sound types.  ie, a separate wav file for internal sounds and another file for external sounds... or damaged engine sounds, like I mentioned.  

That way, for those who want it, they can fly with an in-the-cockpit sound.  Maybe for guns and explosions too?  I understand IRL that it was very difficult to  hear ANYTHING beyond the cockpit with the engine running... but hey, I'd enjoy it a helluva lot more :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 01:55:27 PM »
I'm using cockpit engine sounds for my new pack. Why?

In the MA, you can't use an external view for the majority of the planes.

Hopefully, HTC will implement the extra external plane sounds, and I can add them to another pack.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 09:03:40 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
We're asking for more variety of sound types.  ie, a separate wav file for internal sounds and another file for external sounds... or damaged engine sounds, like I mentioned.  

Dunno but the plane  engine sounds sound entirely different to me when in the cockpit then when Im say in the tower or a GV. And they all sound different to me too. A b17 doesnt sound anything like a corsair or P38. and a FW doesnt sound like a corsair or 38.

I do agree thought I thinki we should have and would like to see other sounds representing engine damage. then again I'd like ot see engine damage better modeled also. Rough running, loosing RPMS etc
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
External plane sounds
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 09:44:34 PM »
They sound different outside because they have a doppler simulator.

It's not a dedicated external sound technique. If HTC would add what we're asking, the external sounds and fly-by's would sound much better.