Author Topic: Friday 9/10/04  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2004, 10:29:47 AM »
AHI had the SpitfireV with the Merlin46, now it has a Merlin 45 (a step back IMHO).  Boost times are very subjective but I'm using the standard on-when-engine-warm scenario.  I'm not sure if the SeaFire ever had the Merlin 45 - I think it used a low altitude performance Merlin.  I'm at work and can't check my books.

Also Squire, check the boost of the SpitV at various altitudes. It should start dropping back over 8000ft and again at 12000ft. Merlin 45 was a great engine - but more of a low altitude variant.

This scenario should be very interesting to say the least.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

storch

Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2004, 10:38:29 AM »
Personally I think this scenario is bogus.  I'll try it a bit but I'm not sure it will be good.  Like I said leave kill shooter off.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2004, 11:40:38 AM »
Seafire IIs had the Merlin 45 and Merlin 46 as well, they were converted Mk Vs. I dont have #s on how many of each. There was a Seafire LIIC, which we dont have in AH, that had a Merlin 50M (low alt engine) I beleive. Seafire III came after that.

I tested it again offline and the wep runs out in 5 minutes maximum, from takeoff cold, or warmed up (go ahead and time it). The "max boost" of +16 lbs starts to drop off after @14,000 ft (at 20k you get +9 lbs max with wep on), which matches the data I have seen on it, which is the same link you posted to me. In addition to that its speeds all seem to match very closely to whats posted there. I have yet to see any example of it being too fast for a certain altitude, despite all the claims of its overmodelling. If its developing too high a bhp at a certain alt (and thats the accusation), that would show up as a faster speed, and it doesnt.

Imho, most of what it boils down to is HTC engine modelling, which we all know is a rather simple design. All the a/c, wether its a 109, P-47, or a Spitfire, have the same "wep" then "overheat-off" model to them. Im all for making them as accurate as possible. That way we can all argue even more stuff after guys complain they blow their engines too much :).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 04:31:55 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2004, 12:03:45 PM »
Originally posted by storch
Personally I think this scenario is bogus.  I'll try it a bit but I'm not sure it will be good.  Like I said leave kill shooter off.

I think you will like it just fine Storch. The SpitV guys (so far anyway) seem not to realize that they cannt just yank-n-bank to kill a Zeke like they do with everything else. If the Spit turns, it dies. 1 v 1, and even 2 v 1 unless the SpitV pilots are on their game, the Zeke does very well. The only down side is you can not take front quarter shots from the Hispano's like you can from the .50 cals and survive, those hispanos murderous.

BTW, I was the first one in this set to yell "Runfire!!" on channel one. :)

Offline Stat

• Zinc Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2004, 12:05:11 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Squire/Storch, the current SpitV we have with respect to boost is at odds with all my records. Being my favorite allied aircraft, I've done extensive research on this problem we have. I've got tonnes of materials on the Spitfre and here's what I've dug up........

Geeeeez, you guys really take this stuff seriously...  I'm still trying to figure out what my rudder does..:confused:

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2004, 12:40:52 PM »
Sorry guys I was unable to get the setup going last night.  I like to wait till 11:00pm or so pacific, the arena is usually nearly emptied out by then.  Unfortunetly I had to run an unexpected errand late last night.  I left a note in the staff forum and hopefully someone can cover it for me during the day.  Oherwise I'll make the switch tonight when get home from work.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

VWE

Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2004, 01:54:33 PM »
[SIZE=15]SLACKER!![/SIZE]

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2004, 02:18:51 PM »
lol.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2004, 03:25:33 PM »
SLACKER!!

The set up was changed late last night. I did forget a few things that Soulyss will have to fix but its playable.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »
excellent, thanks SLash.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

storch

Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
Well just so u know ur BS set up has produced a capture of the port where the IJN fleets spawn from LVTs from ships and no A6M5s on the carriers.  I've been on most of the day waiting for a staffer to show.  I for one will be glad to see the last vestiges of Bradythink gone from the Arena.

Gentlemen don't forget on monday to please vote Bug if you do nothing else.  Please accept this as my vote for Bug as Hurricane Ivan may be here by Monday and I may be off for a while if I survive the storm.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2004, 11:43:37 PM »
I'm on my 24 hour shift and unable to fix the "bs" set up. I am however looking forward to when Bug has made the world perfect.

storch

Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2004, 12:12:16 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
I'm on my 24 hour shift and unable to fix the "bs" set up. I am however looking forward to when Bug has made the world perfect.

It ain't your fault it's a BS set up.  The scenario sucks.  there is no basis for a spitV in the PTO let alone that helicopter spitV that the resident geniouses at HTC have produced.  Just another week of allied same ole same ole.  They won't put in a Bf 110C to sub for the Nick but there is no issue with bringing the spitV to the set up. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 12:17:55 AM by storch »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2004, 12:15:29 AM »
im having a bad day dude, pay no mind to me

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Friday 9/10/04
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2004, 09:29:03 AM »
They did serve in New Guinea and Australia (and Burma), now, I dont know what specifically this "PTO" setup is supposed to represent, but I just thought I would mention that. Not my design, and I have no position on keeping or taking the Spit V out of the set. It would work ok with F6Fs and P-40s alone, it would work with 110s, it would work without them .
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24