Author Topic: asault weapons ban  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2004, 03:21:51 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Nonsense, rank and file officers haven’t been polled. Police Chiefs (mostly from large Cities) have weighed in. These are Political offices mostly occupied by liberal democrats.

If you have read the law you would know how stupid it is. It contains nothing but feel good leftist labeling and doesn’t do anything at all to address gun violence or death and injuries related to guns.

What you don't get comes from your own ignorance.

What are you asking him to prove?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
asault weapons ban
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2004, 03:23:02 PM »
Police Chiefs (mostly from large Cities) have weighed in. These are Political offices mostly occupied by liberal democrats

"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2004, 03:25:21 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Police Chiefs (mostly from large Cities) have weighed in. These are Political offices mostly occupied by liberal democrats

No, I asked wotan to back what he said, that all big city police depts are liberals

Are you sure?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2004, 03:28:29 PM »
Inflammatory/Off topic
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 10:01:02 AM by Skuzzy »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2004, 03:31:01 PM »
Where is yours, at least I provide something

WHAT POLICE REALLY THINK
ABOUT GUN CONTROL MANIA

The San Diego Police Officers Association polled its members about gun control on 05 May 1997
and published the results in their official newsletter, "The Informant".
Note that the actual questions asked are stated here to prevent confusion. Anyone who has taken a survey knows the pitfalls of vague or misleading questions.

1. Do you support an assault weapons ban? NO - 82.1%

2. Do you support a limitation on magazine capacity? NO - 82.2%

3. Do you support a law-abiding private citizen's right to carry a concealed weapon? YES - 84.9%

4. Do you believe that armed, law-abiding citizens are a threat to you as a police officer? NO - 87.8%

5. Have recent gun laws (weapons bans, magazine capacity limits, and increased waiting periods) reduced violent crime in your area? NO - 94.2%

6. Would you support a point of sale background check (instant check) for the purchase of a firearm? YES - 92.1%

7. Does gun ownership by private citizens increase public safety? YES - 87.1%

8. Do you believe the criminal justice system needs streamlining and reform? YES - 99.2%

9. Do you believe in the death penalty? YES - 99.2%

10. Do you believe that restrictive gun laws will reduce violent crime? NO - 92.1%

11. Do you believe that gun buy-back or turn-in programs take guns out of the hands of criminals? NO - 98.5%

12. Do you believe that misuse of a firearm in a crime should result in stiff, mandatory sentences with no plea bargaining? YES - 95.6%

These results are consistent with similar polls taken all across the U.S. for over 20 years.

Please contact the San Diego Police Officers Association for copies of this poll or talk to your local police officer about his/her views on gun control.

Hmmm.... seems pretty clear to me where your avg. police officer stands on this issue.
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2004, 03:32:53 PM »
Originally posted by flyingaround
WHAT POLICE REALLY THINK
ABOUT GUN CONTROL MANIA

The San Diego Police Officers Association polled its members about gun control on 05 May 1997
and published the results in their official newsletter, "The Informant".
Note that the actual questions asked are stated here to prevent confusion. Anyone who has taken a survey knows the pitfalls of vague or misleading questions.

1. Do you support an assault weapons ban? NO - 82.1%

2. Do you support a limitation on magazine capacity? NO - 82.2%

3. Do you support a law-abiding private citizen's right to carry a concealed weapon? YES - 84.9%

4. Do you believe that armed, law-abiding citizens are a threat to you as a police officer? NO - 87.8%

5. Have recent gun laws (weapons bans, magazine capacity limits, and increased waiting periods) reduced violent crime in your area? NO - 94.2%

6. Would you support a point of sale background check (instant check) for the purchase of a firearm? YES - 92.1%

7. Does gun ownership by private citizens increase public safety? YES - 87.1%

8. Do you believe the criminal justice system needs streamlining and reform? YES - 99.2%

9. Do you believe in the death penalty? YES - 99.2%

10. Do you believe that restrictive gun laws will reduce violent crime? NO - 92.1%

11. Do you believe that gun buy-back or turn-in programs take guns out of the hands of criminals? NO - 98.5%

12. Do you believe that misuse of a firearm in a crime should result in stiff, mandatory sentences with no plea bargaining? YES - 95.6%

These results are consistent with similar polls taken all across the U.S. for over 20 years.

Please contact the San Diego Police Officers Association for copies of this poll or talk to your local police officer about his/her views on gun control.

Now there is at least something, btw, can you provide a link?

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2004, 03:34:43 PM »
Off topic
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 10:01:48 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
asault weapons ban
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2004, 03:37:40 PM »
The major police departments and unions often come out on favor of or opposed to certain legislation that their members may not agree with. This also happens to other professions, teachers being the first to come to my mind. Such is the very nature of collective bargaining and unions in general. Add political clout and connections to the mix and it becomes inevitable.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
http://www.guncite.com/aswpolice.html

Here are some from both sides

To counter the statements of pro-rights rank-and-file officers such as the firearms examiners or Leroy Pyle, Handgun Control, Inc. often points to the Fraternal Order of Police. The FOP is the largest rank-and-file police organization in the country; its head, Dewey Stokes, supports "assault weapon" control, and Stokes was recently re-elected to his position despite a challenge from a pro-gun officer. [95]

95. One percent of the approximately 225,000 Fraternal Order of Police members attended the convention, and Stokes won the vote 68% of the attendees. It might be that delegates to the police conventions, like delegates to NRA conventions, or to Democratic or Republican conventions, hold views more extreme than held by the membership as a whole.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2004, 03:43:46 PM »
supports "assault weapon" control

What does that have to do with the law in question?

Go buy a dictionary. Better yet, open your mind to differing points of view.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2004, 03:46:24 PM »
No, I asked wotan to back what he said, that all big city police depts are liberals

What does what you posted have anything to do with what you posted earlier?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2004, 03:49:27 PM »
That I did, but I did not quote her. I asked for something to back up what you said, I think it is not based on fact at all, so I ask. I've known two police chiefs, both are conservative, to say the least.  Ronald Reagan and Rudy both supported the ban too, and I would not call them liberals either

GWB supports extending the ban as well, so what? Where did I say "only liberals support extending the ban" or that "all Police that support extending the ban are liberals"?

No where.

You could have easily offered a link to Sen. Warner's web page or quoted a news outlet.

Incidentally, Warner was a  co-sponsor with Feinstein on an amendment added to legislation that would have shielded fire arms manufactures from lawsuits. After this amendment was added the bill failed. The original sponsor of the lawsuit shield bill and the NRA pulled their support for it.

What Warner and Bush are doing is playing both sides of the fence. Warner was opposed to the awb the firts time. They know there will be no extension and as such they support it to look good to "women voters".

How's that search coming? It's would seem to me that if I wanted evidence of a specific point I would search for that rather then all the other non-sense you posted.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2004, 03:49:46 PM »
Originally posted by Lazerus
What does what you posted have anything to do with what you posted earlier?

What does that have to do with what I asked him?

here is another liberal

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2004, 03:51:18 PM »
Sure, here is the link.
http://www.gospelweb.net/sandiegopolice.htm

If you REALLY want to know what the avg. "beat" cop thinks, go to the link below and start reading.
http://www.policemag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=300

It is a BBS for Police Magazine, and the link is to the "tell us what you think Re. Assault Weapon Ban".   14 pages of good reading about what the typical police officer thinks.
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
asault weapons ban
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »
Now there is at least something, btw, can you provide a link?

I searched Yahoo using "San Diego Police Assault Weapon" and got hits.  The first one was this:

http://www.nrawinningteam.com/awsurvey.html

Which shows a scan of the pertinent page in The Informant, which is the SD PD Assoc. newsletter.

mauser

*edit* oops, flying already got it.  And reposted the link to the Police magazine forums which will get ignored.  Again.