Author Topic: bush jr joined ang, and kerry joined naval reserve  (Read 172 times)

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
bush jr joined ang, and kerry joined naval reserve
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 01:45:40 PM »
"Mr. President, you and I know that…if service or non-service in the [Vietnam] war is to become a test of qualification for high office…our nation would never recover from the divisions created by that war."– Sen. John Kerry on the Senate floor, 1992.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 01:46:33 PM »
I believe most officers in the Navy even the active ones are "reserve". The distinction isn't really meaningful.
sand

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 02:20:39 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I believe most officers in the Navy even the active ones are "reserve". The distinction isn't really meaningful.

there is clear and major difference between joining usn as active duty officer candidate and joining naval reserves. and id like your opinion of someone implying that joining ang was "running away" after that person himself applied for draft deferment and didnt get it. "i didnt get chance to go to paris for college and not get drafted so everyone that didnt go to vn is now a coward". me thinks the winter soldier protests too much.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 02:38:45 PM »
Originally posted by anonymous

there is clear and major difference between joining usn as active duty officer candidate and joining naval reserves.

and id like your opinion of someone implying that joining ang was "running away" after that person himself applied for draft deferment and didnt get it.

No argument that there is a difference when joining, but once they are assigned to active duty units, there really isn't much difference. They're all officers. None of the enlisted generally know which is which. There distinct diffences regarding advancement though.

"Running away" is probably a little strong. It's the less risky path, no doubt. To complain about someone else getting a deferrment when yours has failed is sour grapes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 02:46:21 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:08:21 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
No argument that there is a difference when joining, but once they are assigned to active duty units, there really isn't much difference. They're all officers. None of the enlisted generally know which is which. There distinct diffences regarding advancement though.

"Running away" is probably a little strong. It's the less risky path, no doubt. To complain about someone else getting a deferrment when yours has failed is sour grapes.

you got it right on advancement. but sometimes not being advanced as rapidly is a blessing. you get to do what you want to do instead of being sent on a dangerous mission to polish seats worldwide. :)