Author Topic: Finally Pulled The Trigger  (Read 121 times)

Offline DR00

• Zinc Member
Finally Pulled The Trigger
« on: January 08, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
No, I didn't get a kill, allthough I'm sure that would rate as big news.
Finally put my WB account out of it's misery. It wasn't about the $9.95 a month. It was the realization that, even if WBIII comes out better than advertised, I know I won't be back. Don't get me wrong,this is not a "flame WB" thread. Nor is it an AH lovefest.
It's more the musings of a marginal, part time player, who got into online flight sims  years ago, as a way to blow off a little steam. Started in WB 1.0something and AH since it first went public beta. In spite of not playing in 4 months kept my account open to wait for release of WBIII (hell I spill more than 9.95 a night). But the release of 1.05, to me, settled the issue. I am not referring to the changes made to the game (allthough they are super) but rather the way HTC responded to the "bugs & squeakes" that accompany any new release.These guys were not only on the BBS but in the game, answering questions, and keeping everyone in the loop as much as possible. These people have shown a lot more control and composure than I would, under the same or similar circumstances.
And the overwhelming majority of people who play this sim have and continue to show a great deal of class. It's amazing to watch the game buffer and see how many guys wil risk a 4 kill sortie to walk some newbie through "how do I fire rockets on the PT". You truly do get a sense of "family" from the regulars here (even if at times the family seems like the Mansons).
So I finally just came to the realization that what my expectations were, either real or imaginary, from some soon to be released something (WBIII WWIIonline etc. etc.) were so unimportant to why I log on. AH, with all its bugs & squeakers, is FUN for me. And so long as it is I have no desire to look elsewhere.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
<S> Dr00!  I know exactly how you feel.

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
It was a sad day for me when I 'pulled the trigger' for several reasons.

First, the connects were plain lousy for me to N.C. after the move.

Second, the game itself just lost its appeal after 5 + years of playing it, who would have thought when I first set up an account that I'd be playing relatively the same software for 5 years?  Never got that out of a box game!

Third, the reaction of a minority few in the AGW crowd to Aces High was some something short of rediculous, it all started with a thread suggesting that maybe WB's should think about alternatives to make the game more interesting (this was before AH had ground vehicles, and was in the talking stage)and the subsequent flames thereafter, it was at that point that I knew I made the right decision to go with a software developer that envisioned the future,as well as a player base that was willing to try some new things...

WB's and AH's are still the best sims out there in my opinion, and I especially think WB's still has a leg up in the Events and A/C selection dept., however, with Aces high being only over a year old, one with an optimistic attitude can see where this sim is going.

Jury is still out on WBIII since its still in beta, and awaiting its arrival as well as Olegs sim and WW2Online.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 01-08-2001).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
Hell!

I couldnt wait to cancel my WBs subscription!
I was bored to tears (even tho I thought Mo and 2nd gen crew did a fine job before they abandoned iEN).

I simply knew that the real heart of WBs was created by Hitech and wherever Hitech went so did the real heart of WBs!

AcesHigh is precisely where its at and I havent looked back!

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Ice

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2001, 03:00:00 PM »
Agreed.

I do hope WB's stays afloat tho...would be sad is all.

Ice

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
I would like to see Warbirds stay afloat too.  I'm not a real big believer that WB is driving AH to be a better sim... I'd just hate to see that community left out in the cold.

Its rare to see that close-nit of a community stay together for so long in this modern on-line erra.  It would be truly sad to see it end.

What I feel about WB.. multiply that by about 10 for DoA.  The community there has done too much work to see their game pulled out from under them.

AKDejaVu

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
I kept my WBs account open for about 3 months after I made the move over to AH, hoping things would be fixed (lethality, flopping).  I continued to read AGW, and once I realized neither of these major flaws was going to be fixed, pulled the plug.

bowser