Author Topic: who,huh?,what controls video memory  (Read 312 times)

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
who,huh?,what controls video memory
« on: September 13, 2004, 02:17:30 PM »
when you bring up frame rate info( ctrl I) and it shows your video cards amount of  memory available - i.e..  -64 or 128mb what ever the card has and it shows  amount of memory used-- .i.e  25.5 mb .  Is it MY computer making that determination of how much video memory to use? or is it the server?.   And why would it not use more of the memory,  i mean my card is a 128mb  and when i check it it seems to only use around 25 to 27 mb? out of the 128 vid mem..   my frame rate is fine 99% of the time , just wondered why its not using more of the available memory. dont need it? err..  

I have 512 mb ram too.  If the answer is too involved its cool, probley a thread somewhere on the subject maybe yes ,maybe no.  but any replies to this subject , I thank you now....

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 10:07:25 AM »
Your video memory stores textures etc for locally displayed objects, unless if in the case of 256mb you have checked the preload option which preloads ALL game textures in video memory.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 10:21:39 AM »
Your computer uses video memory the same way that the main CPU uses system memory. Its a place to store data that is in use at the time.

The video cards CPU and memory take the load off the main CPU so calculations for the graphics are done faster seperate from the other program data being handled by the main computer CPU.

Your computer software (Direct X) makes the determination of what goes where.

More complicated video graphics make more demands on the system so you would see a difference depending on which programs you compared.

Thats the best I can do.

Well, not really, but I tried to keep it short.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:29:15 PM »
Make your max texture size bigger and it will use more.