Author Topic: Invisible Field Acks/Fire Through Structures  (Read 467 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Invisible Field Acks/Fire Through Structures
« on: September 01, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »
Either I am blind or field acks beyond a certain distance are invisible from the ground. Happens like this: I am defending a field in an ostwind, the field is captured, I start dropping acks. Well, I can drop the ones very near me no problem, but acks over maybe 1k+ away are invisible even while zoomed to the maximum. I know they are there because I can see their tracers, but I cannot see the guns themselves. I have only really noticed this on the current map, Trinity, but it could very well be present on the others as well.

Also, field acks can shoot through any and all fixed structures on the fields, including hangers, but we cannot return fire. Kind of lame....

Zazen

My system Specs are:

P4 3 GigHz
2 Gigs Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
SB Audigy Platinum
21" NEC Diamondtron Monitor
Running 1600X1200 32 bit w/ 4 X AA v-sync ON
Latest Dx version and Vid drivers
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 03:47:20 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline MnkyMeat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 06:28:54 PM »
Hey Doooood!

There are visibility ranges In AH2...

Shift F1 is Full visual range < shows all detail see everything withing your graphics configuration limit.

Shift F2 is Med < you see the horizon as far as in F1 but details disapear at sertain range.  

Shift F3 is Short  < horizon distance is reduced,, it just stopes and no fogging . . also all ground details are not visible untill very close,,, watch out for trees.

Shift F4 is GV vis Range  <  this has a reduced horizon like short range  but displays detail to that full range.

I personaly cant see ack gunns or GVs unless I switch to Shift F1 or Sift F4   ,,,, wich totaly kill my frame rate.  

I fly with med vis range all the time so when attacking a field I have to switch back and forth  when i zoom to see if the ack is there or if there are GVs on the ground. . ..  but i can see thier tracers at shift F2.

Hope this helps.....

MonkeyMeat

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 06:41:40 AM »
Originally posted by MnkyMeat
Hey Doooood!

There are visibility ranges In AH2...

Shift F1 is Full visual range < shows all detail see everything withing your graphics configuration limit.

Shift F2 is Med < you see the horizon as far as in F1 but details disapear at sertain range.  

Shift F3 is Short  < horizon distance is reduced,, it just stopes and no fogging . . also all ground details are not visible untill very close,,, watch out for trees.

Shift F4 is GV vis Range  <  this has a reduced horizon like short range  but displays detail to that full range.

I personaly cant see ack gunns or GVs unless I switch to Shift F1 or Sift F4   ,,,, wich totaly kill my frame rate.  

I fly with med vis range all the time so when attacking a field I have to switch back and forth  when i zoom to see if the ack is there or if there are GVs on the ground. . ..  but i can see thier tracers at shift F2.

Hope this helps.....

MonkeyMeat

Yea. I know all about the GV view mode, I have it mapped and use it. It still does not make acks visible.

Zazen

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 07:26:09 AM »
They are not visible from the air either, only at close distance.

Kind of a disatvantage when taking them down since you dont know if they are up or not untill close.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Schutt
They are not visible from the air either, only at close distance.

Kind of a disatvantage when taking them down since you dont know if they are up or not untill close.

Yup, I can see them from the ground only (I'm guessing) D 1000 or less. Further than that, whether zoomed in or not, in ground view mode or not, they are invisible. The only way to kill them is to guess where they are by seeing where from the ground the shells emnate from.

Zazen

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 06:12:39 PM »
I noticed this myself.  Around 2 weeks ago I formated my computer, and started fresh.  NOW I can see the ack from the air.

I can see GV Icons from the air w/o using shift f4.

I can see field acks now.

I can see ack guns now.

Around two days ago, I started NOT being able to see these things, or they were a "sometimes I see them, sometimes not".

Huh??

I've also noticed a drop in FPS around two days ago.  Wonder exactly what is going on.
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 07:17:35 PM »
Originally posted by flyingaround

I've also noticed a drop in FPS around two days ago.  Wonder exactly what is going on.

If youre running XP , get a third party defragger and run it. You should be defragging xp almost weekly with standard use, you will see a difference. heres what I use. Defragger

I had the same issues and defrag made a sutle Frame Rate increase.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 08:45:50 PM »
Don't forget the detail sliders in the game. That's what really makes a difference on my system when trying to see the field aaa guns. Of course my system is toward the lower end of allowable specs. I noticed if the 'Level Of Detail' and 'Object Size' sliders are toward the left I can see them better and from longer range. Of course there is a tradeoff in the detail/performance balancing act. I had mine about 90% to the left and could see them much much easier. I eventually had to move them to about midrange to increase my frame rate but if your system can handle it, try moving them to the left. In this case I'd try the 'Object Size' first.
It wasn't mentioned where you guys have them but it's definately worth checking their position and 'fiddling about' with them. I believe Ground Detail Range only effects the display of trees and shrubberies.
Of course that only deals with seeing them and not their ability to fire through things. I don't think their visual size and their ability to shoot through things would be related.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 08:48:24 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Re: Invisible Field Acks/Fire Through Structures
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 11:44:05 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13

Also, field acks can shoot through any and all fixed structures on the fields, including hangers, but we cannot return fire. Kind of lame....

Agreed... that does bite, had it happen last night as a matter of fact.  Driving to an enemy field in an Ostie with a nice grove of trees between the base and myself.  AI ack shreds my turret through the trees and I had no chance of firing back without hitting something.  I charged forward and killed it with the hull gun.
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012