Author Topic: P-51C - 352nd FG - info needed  (Read 573 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-51C - 352nd FG - info needed
« on: October 16, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »
Thought this might be an easy port from my 52nd FG '51, but I can't find any additional looks at the source plane besides the profile in the Osprey "Mustang Aces of the 8th AF" book.  

Does anyone know if the invasion stripes are on the wing's upper surface too?

Are the stabilizer trim tabs also painted black?

Finally - the name of this a/c is "Little Ann", but I don't see any name artwork.   Is there any on the other side of the fuselage?

Much thanks!

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 01:25:29 PM »
Wow!  Incredible job!  Unfortunately, I have no information for you, but I am looking forward to flying that one!

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 05:16:52 PM »
Can't say if the stripes are on the top of the wings, but it looks very good anyway.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 11:51:31 PM »
I answered in the invasion stripes thread, but just for clarity.  Unless you have a photo to back up the profile, don't trust the profile.

In the same book that has that profile there is one of a 4th FG Mustang in full invasion stripes, yet the pilot went down in that Mustang to become a POW before D-Day. That Mustang never had invasion stripes :)

All the groups went with the same orders from above on application of the stripes.  In fact the photo evidence right on D-Day shows the HO codes partially overpainted with the stripes and in some cases the individual code letters moved to the nose.

Your best best for this one is to go with the lower wing stripes and lower fuselage stripes and the HO codes showing.

Found some images to illustrate the problem.  This is from an old book on Mustang schemes.  Note the picture 2nd from the bottom.  No doubt the one that the profile is based on.  

Also note in the 4 photos the pattern of  invasion stripe painting.  The full stripes with letter moved forward and the group codes partially oversprayed.

Then the half stripes with the codes re-applied, rather crudely in this case.

Then look at the one the skin is based on.  You can see the worn invasion stripes on the leading edge of the wings.  And if you look close you can see the oversprayed fuselage stripes as well.  

So I'd almost bet the photo was taken during the process of overspraying the stripes on both the wings and fuselage but caught it mid spray.

On the bottom image everything has been oversprayed with silver.

Now that I've got you completely confused.  I'd still go with the half stripes on underwings and fuselage.  But that's just me :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters