Author Topic: kill the icons  (Read 313 times)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
kill the icons
« on: September 18, 2004, 04:39:35 AM »
i was reading this:
First the handicaps: Distinctive shapes, such as the P-38's twin boom, twin engine design, is easily identified , especially from above or below. A large round fuselage, like that of the P-47 Thunderbolt can alert an enemy to its identity before the "Jug" pilot can identify the enemy. This gives the "other guy" an obvious edge. Some aircraft have distinctive wing shapes, such as the Spitfire with its broad elliptical planform which made its identification nearly instant when viewed from either above or below. Any time your enemy can I.D. you before you have detected his presence, you are at a disadvantage. Your enemy can now determine when or if he will engage, or worse, he can gain a position where he can utilize the fighter pilot's oldest ally, the sun. If you happen to be flying an especially large aircraft, it is also more likely to be hit by enemy fire. Although, in general a larger aircraft can usually absorb more damage than the smaller fighter.

here: http://www.aerial-combat.com/

thought maybe it'd be a bit more interesting in the MA if enemy icons didn't give ID's until the aircraft was within D1000 or so.  a skilled pilot may have already ID'ed the aircraft outside of D1000 &, therefore, has obtained the advantage.

yea, i know i can kill my icons, but i'd be at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the crowd.  

anyway, just a thought.  :)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
kill the icons
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 10:26:39 AM »
So, are you saying just a range indicator in the icon before D1000?  That would be cool.  It would be interesting to see what effects a change like that had.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

VWE

kill the icons
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 10:43:04 AM »
How about just range and country? Keep it out to 6k just turn off the plane type.

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
kill the icons
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 11:12:01 AM »
The problem is the Mk 1 Block 1 eyeball isn't limited to resolution. What look like pixelated blobs to us in game, a sharp-eyed pilot would be able to see distinguising characteristics of an aircraft.

Icons are needed to ofset that down-side to the PC monitor.
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

VWE

kill the icons
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 11:43:41 AM »
Well I can almost always identify that pixelated blob from about 3k which is the setting in the CT.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
kill the icons
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:12:29 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
Well I can almost always identify that pixelated blob from about 3k which is the setting in the CT.

the CT can in no way be compared to the MA environment for the simple reason of #'s.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

VWE

kill the icons
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 01:09:05 PM »
Sure it can, when talking about identifying aircraft which is what this tread is about.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
kill the icons
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 01:44:52 PM »
not in a massive multi-con environment.. which is my point.  you don't have the luxury of time to id what something is - from a no icon perspective.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
kill the icons
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 02:47:05 PM »
Additionally in the CT, in most cases, you know the other plane could only be 2-3 things right off the bat due to limited planesets.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.