Author Topic: Aces High Player Bio.  (Read 4156 times)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2004, 11:55:24 AM »
Hey Golfer, your pic looks like you either got a reeely bad sunburn, or that's the glare from the neon lights in a potato house. Which is it?:D

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2004, 12:45:50 PM »
I'd been living in florida for about 5 days after moving from ohio (have since moved back to Ohio)...you tell me :)

I'll give you a hint, I'd gone to the beach the day before without the benefit of SPF 1000 sunscreen...Stir in some pastey-white yankee skin...you get a lobster :)

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2004, 01:31:53 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
I'd been living in florida for about 5 days after moving from ohio (have since moved back to Ohio)...you tell me :)

I'll give you a hint, I'd gone to the beach the day before without the benefit of SPF 1000 sunscreen...Stir in some pastey-white yankee skin...you get a lobster :)

I thought maybe it was WIND BURN.  ...hope you're doing okay through all those storms down there.  :D

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2004, 03:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the concern.  My apartment complex was washed away by francis (I lived right on the water...great freakin apartment) and I got my things out when it made a beeline for west palm.  Made it back to Ohio in one 17 hour driving trip...towing a one bedroom apartment's worth of 'things.'

They're getting hit again by Jeanne...same deal as Francis.  I'm glad I don't live there anymore...less than a year was enough for me.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2004, 04:30:29 PM »
LOL, Golfer. just got tired of water beds, huh?

Ren

Offline august

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.augustbach.com
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2004, 06:51:07 AM »
Name: august bach

Callsign: august

DOB: july, 1969

Nationality:
nebraskan/iowan/czech/german/english/scottish/dutch/mutt

american.

genus and species: artistus attention deficitus

Marital Status: dating

Interests: creating things.  destroying things.  (which comes first?)

Education & CPU speed: masters half completed.  my brain logs at 1,500,600k, peaks c. 3am

Family: post nuclear ww2 sydrome.  e=mc2

Bad Habits: 49%

Good Habits: 51%

Worst Injury: i call her nashville.

Stupidest Injury: same.

Ambitions: build it.

Regrets: all of that stuff that i did that one time.  

Favorite Authors:

Douglas Adams, everything hitchiker...have a tatoo of the planet from the cover on my shoulder.

milan kundera (the unbearable lightness of being.)

umberto eco (faucalts pendulum, name of the rose et al.)

hunter s. thompson (fear and loathing etc.)

todd doty - (the longest distance between two points.)

Favorite aceshigh ride: 190d-9 drop tank, 50%

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2004, 11:59:52 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
It's not smart posting your bios on the intardnet like this. Just saying.

Are you gonna come hurt us all or something? ;)

Rick White

Broomfield Colorado (northernmost part of the Denver metro area)

Call Sign: Elfie

Married /w children, ages 20, 10, 1

DOB 01/07/63

Nationality: Born American, in Lincoln NE 2.8 miles from Memorial Stadium, of Czech descent.

Bad Habits: Cigarettes

Good Habits: hmm...maybe you should ask my wife about my habits heh

Worst injury: have been lucky, havent had to many injuries in my life. Worst one is probably the time I shot my right knee with a nail gun, still feel that sometimes.

Stupidest Injury: thats easy, when I worked in a packing plant I used to pull the hams off the conveyor belt with my knife. One time the knife slipped out and the sudden lose of 30lbs of meat from the knife caused my arm to pull the back edge of the knife into my face. Got 12 stitches that night, 5 of them under the skin.

Interests: Hunting, fishing, online games.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2004, 01:38:39 PM »
Name: C.C. Jordan

Callsign: Widewing (this was allied code name for 8th AF Fighter Command HQ)

DOB: 2/53

Nationality: American, of /Scotch/Irish ancesters who arrived in Colonies in early 17th century (paternal side) and German/Polish (maternal side) who arrived in New York during the early 1870s.

Marrital status: Married (second time), two step daughters, both nearly finished with college.

Interests: Aviation, History, firearms, Photography and Motor sports.

Military Service: United States Navy (aviation)

Education and CPU speed: Local Community College & SUNY

Worst injury: Collected a mis-directed .45 auto round, that glanced off a steel rail and caught me in the right-side of my chest. I was fortunate that the distorted bullet bled off considerable energy. Treated and released, with cracked rib and a few stitches.

Amibitions: Sell more of my photography. Some has been published, some sold commercially. Switched to digital exclusively, investing in new hardware.

Regrets: No regrets... Crap happens. Dwelling on one's past clouds one's vision for the future.

Favorite AH ride: No favorite. I fly what suits me at the time.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2004, 03:12:06 PM »
photography. theres a good topic.

my better half just graduated from art school, and hopes to expand into photography for vocation. any tips or hints how she could help her work get recognised. she wants to do a course to learn more although she knows the basics from college(i should know, i was there for one year of it ), i think she should just take lots of photos, every day. lots of photos.  obsession is the only way i have learnt to do anything well, but then i am a bit strange. what ya think would be more productive for her after 18 years of constant education?

batfink
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline august

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.augustbach.com
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2004, 03:25:36 PM »
got my BFA in photography in video from the kansas city art institute, glad to see there are more of us here.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »
Name: Richard Hoyt

Callsign: "SlapShot"

Occupation: Software Architect (fancy name for a programmer thats done their time ... I started in '78)

DOB: April '54

Nationality: American (Irish and English Heritage)

Marital Status: Married , 5 kids (29, 27, 23, 22, 21), 3 Grandchildren (11, 6, 5) and another due next week.

Interests: My wife, AH, Martial Arts (15+ years - Tang Soo Do), wine tasting, sports cars.

Education & CPU speed: Some college (my oldest is 29 ... due the math) and rest was on my own. CPU Pentium 4 - 3 Gig

Family: Mom & Dad still alive, 1 sister - 4 years younger

Bad Habits:  Smoking

Good Habits: You tell me ...

Worst Injury:  It's either the baseball bat in the mouth in 4th grade, or braking my arm in 6th grade, or getting my thumb caught in a lift gate on the back of a truck.

Stupidest Injury: Lift gate by far

Ambitions:  To retire

Regrets:  hmmmmmm

Favorite Authors: Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Steven King

Favorite aceshigh ride:  Spit V, but I keep exploring the plane set.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2004, 07:49:58 PM »
Name: Chris

Callsign: "nopoop"

DOB: 1951

Nationality: American (German and Welch Heritage)

Marital Status: Married 31 years last week, 2 kids (24 and 21), 2 Grandchildren (5 and 1) and another due February.

Interests:Photography, photo editing, photoshop in all forms, writing, German Militaria, Colt pistols, Morgan silver dollars and a 1951 FL when I feel the need.

Education & CPU speed: Some college, Corpsman in the Navy.

Family: Mom still alive, only child but my lady has a huge family.

Bad Habits:  Smoking, cheeep beer :D

Good Habits: I'm reasonable

Worst Injury:Broke my ankle in four places along with my fibula

Stupidest Injury:...on a scaffold on wheels..

Ambitions:Have ONE sortie like Levi

Regrets:Not finding online flightsims 5 years earlier

Favorite Authors:Used to read 5 books a week. Haven't read one in 10 years. James Clavell, Clancy

Favorite aceshigh ride:  Spit V, but I WILL learn the Jug

Jeez Slap...WINE TASTING ???????????????? :D
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2004, 09:00:12 PM »
Name: Brad

Call sign: Estes

DOB: Sept. ‘72

Nationality: Couldn’t tell you.  

Marital status: Married 7 years.

Interests: Flight Sims, computers, music.

Family: Middle aged kid from a family of 3. Wife and a son.  Another kid due in Feb.

Education and CPU speed: Bachelors of Science of Business Administration, and a Novell certification. 3.1 gig

Bad habits: Dipping snuff.

Good habits: Drawing blanks here. J  

Worst injury: Tore ligaments in my knee playing baseball in HS. Several surgeries for that. Last one I had just made things worse.

Stupidest injury: Probably getting bit by a rattlesnake in my teen years jacking around with them. Had a couple Brown Recluse bites. Luckily those didn’t cause any damage.

Ambitions: As someone has mentioned before, I would like to get my PPL one of these days.

Regrets: Screwing around too much in High school.

Favorite AH ride: P-47 D-25.

Favorite Author: Dan Simmons, or Janet Evanovich.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2004, 06:00:10 AM »
Name: Sarah

Callsign: Schatzi (was Schutts idea, said that on a whim, didn't think id take that seriously)

DOB: Aug 1980

Nationality: German (although I mostly feel like an European)

Marrital status: don’t feel like marriage yet (see family) but I live with a really wonderful boyfriend that has to put up with a lot, hope its for keeps

Interests: Sailing, horse riding, reading, music, cooking

Family: have one elder brother, family has been blown to pieces over  the last five years, only one I still speak with is my father (and his girlfriend – actually can you say *girl*friend for mid fifties??)

Education and CPU speed: don’t know about IQ, people say im pretty intelligent, but who knows and who cares. Intelligence doesen't make life easier, on the contrary.  As for education, see above.

Bad habbits: being thickheaded, objecting to everthing I'm told, gnawing on my nails, working myself right into nervous breakdowns again and again, ….

Good habbits: always trying to help other people, have a lot of patience (althoug I lost some of that with my stressful studies)

Worst injury: well, luckily that hasn’t happened yet,
Stupidest injury: see above

Best thing that ever happened to me: Schutt
Having a friend that kept me from jumping in front of a train
Amibitions: to be a good Vet that manages to balance the 'in dubio pro animale' with the monetary needs of the farmers; not to make such a mess out of a happy family

Regrets: not being able to make everyone else happy (see, that’s stupid me)

Favorite AH ride: the first time we flew together RedTop told me I'd fall in love… well I did: Spit V

Personal Quotes: I'll let Robert Frost do the talking:
THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Aces High Player Bio.
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2004, 12:00:09 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
photography. theres a good topic.

any tips or hints how she could help her work get recognised?  

Contests. Enter contests. Contests are a great way to have your work evaluated by professionals and get your work some minimal level of exposure.

She should build a portfolio of her best work. Not just what she thinks is her best work, but what others feel is excellent as well.
Self-publishing is another route.

I know one fellow who took some of his better photos, printed them and framed the pictures using inexpensive pre-cut matting and frames. He then sold about them on consignment through several galleries. For less than $2,000 invested, he cleared over $17,000 in sales. Not too bad for a hobby.

Don't overlook newspapers and magazines as potential buyers. There are greeting card makers who buy photos (terms usually are a one-time payment for a license lasting up to 5 years, photographer retains ownership).

Here are some links to contests that she can enter online that can result in some exposure (and a free gallery website) and the chance of actually being published (although there is no financial compensation if you are selected for publication, just the exposure)

Betterphoto.com

Picture.com contest

This one requires an entry fee, but offers good exposure to the winners. You can download the rules and entry form in .pdf format.
National Photo Contest

I'm sure that there are many photo contests sponsored by various companies and newspapers in Britain. Have her research these and enter every contest she can find. Especially if her work is really good and highly original.

What I have discovered is that 75% of the photos submitted to contests are poor to average. 20% are very nice. That remaining 5% constitutes the tough competition, the really good work of a highly talented, but small group of photographers. If she can crack this group, she is well on her way to a solid career as a photographer.

I wish her good fortune.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.