Author Topic: Just wondering Rip..  (Read 158 times)

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
Just wondering Rip..
« on: October 13, 2000, 06:36:00 PM »
How are ya practicing fer carrier landings..??

I can put a f4u down and stopped before the 1st intersection on a triangle base..

think that'll be enuff??

(well guess I'll probably have to give up the 1 wheel touch just short of the tarmac..)  

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2000, 06:56:00 PM »
Don't know how Rip practices, but I use a map which has a field on top of a steep slope (Just about every H2H map has these) so I have to use the runway for depth perception, imagine the point where the re-arm grid runs alongside the runway are the rows of cables, and just try and get the plane to an altitude where the hook should catch one of the wires. Not exactly sure what landing procedure for F4Us was though, so chances are I'll be snatching wires too high and smashing F4Us into the deck all over the place as soon as 1.05 arrives  

BigJoe

Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2000, 11:38:00 PM »
I think he hangs his monitor up by a rope then gives it a good push so it simulates the pitch and roll of a CV then has somebody throw water in his face while trying to land his F4u in the shortest distance possible.  I could be wrong, but it seems to work for me.

BigJoe

"I opened fire when my windshield was black with the enemy ... at minimum range ... it doesn't matter what your angle is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."

Eric Hartmann, 325 Victories

[This message has been edited by BigJoe (edited 10-13-2000).]

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2000, 10:09:00 PM »
I learned in FA/18 on my Amiga <g> that the best way was a military approach...going wings level just before touchdown. From what I've heard, F4U pilots had to do that kind of approach 'cause of the limited forward view.

But what do I know...in the Army, the only landing I did was in the brigg <g>

Lars

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2000, 10:25:00 PM »
I've seen film of them cross-controlled right up to threshhold; then booted straight with the throttle chopped.

*WHAMMO* One bounce;

<hook>

*THUMP* arrested Corsair stops flyin.

Musta been hell on the pilots. Carrier landings are just controlled crashes in 1945. That fediddlein F4U is HEAVY. The Vought airframe could take it... tuff, yesss, my hearty's; tho not as good as a Grumman.  

<gleeflully scrubs hands together>

"The Grumman's are commin; the GRUMMANS ARE COMMIN!"

Oh; I can't wait.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2000, 10:53:00 PM »
Want to practice carrier landings? Find a medium field [A37 in SFTERR works great] and lift off. Fly the landing pattern then setup a mock carrier landing. Full flaps, and high decent rate. I aim between the start of the runway and the end of the re-arm plate. That's my "4-wire-zone", and I typically hit just short of the re-arm plate; a perfect 3-wire. Practice this in a Zeke before trying a Corsair.

Once you get it down, lower your landing speed from 130 to 110 mph. Trim the aircraft to prevent a stall, and only vary your speed by adding throttle. Don't lower or raise the nose, just play with the gas until you get it right. It took me half an hour before I was hitting my "3-wire" just short of the re-arm plate. About 10 minutes after that, I was doing it with an F4U1-D loaded with a pair of 500s.

It takes a little getting used to, but once you get it down it's simple. I accidently started landing my 109 like that, until the gear folded on my 3rd try.

------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2000, 11:11:00 PM »
Now try it in a crosswind with a carrier doin 27 knots. In a cross-sea. On a corkscrewing, pitching deck. Hope like hell the Admiral's an aidale, not an airhead.  

Muahahhahhaaa... that happened in WB's.. lined up; worked her down; got to where the only visual cues was the carriers island.. and the pinheaded AI Admiral ordered the fediddlein fleet to come about.. That was errie; followin that Island around  

Gonna be a lotta brown stripers.. I can see it now!  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2000, 09:10:00 AM »
As mentioned above, A37, I use 3/4 flaps (seems if I over shoot theres less chance of torque over when re-applying full throttle) and use the Re-fuel grid near runway as imaginary "Wire", stopping before first intersection (though not necessary because on a carrier, the 'wire' would have stop you short of it anyway.  I keep airspeed at about 110 on finals , 100%RPM, and 25 inches Manifold pressure(1 mile before end of runway) and practice a slow turn into approach for practice of keeping the deck in view until right before the final hit on the deck (long 16ft. nose on F4U, it was standard  practice).

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO= VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Aces High First Training Corp
"Know your limits and then go beyond.."
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons

"If you cannot learn to do something well,
learn to enjoy doing it poorly"

RBNN

Just wondering Rip..
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2000, 10:30:00 AM »
lol
I can't wait to see all the planes crashing in the water..
mine included..