Author Topic: TE1 and the clipboard..  (Read 289 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
TE1 and the clipboard..
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:21:31 AM »
Is there a special magic word I need to say when building a map for the clipboard.  Im using TE1, and created a test map.  I've been able to get everything working that I wanted to on the map, except for the clipboard.  The map size is set for 64, when I select "Make map" it builds the map.bmp file. I've opened the map.bmp up to make sure it looks right, and it looks the way it's suppose to.  But when I go into AH1 the clipboard shows a different map that is set for 256...  I've also tried rebuilding/remaking the map to make sure I selected the appropriate map size 64.  I've notice in the menu settings there is a menu to set map size.  After setting it there to 64 and pressing ok, i open the menu up again and it's set back to 256....  Does this mean I can only make maps that are 256?

Anyway the overall goal is to create a map using TE1 and convert it to TE2, I'm curious to see how all that works.  

Also does anyone have documentation on file layouts..   There is a lot of files the TE uses like .oba, MDM, fld etc... etc.....

Most of these are plain text files that must be used to build the .res file.  It would be extremely useful to know what these files should contain and what the layout of the file should look like.

Any help would be appreciated

Offline FalconSS

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
TE1 and the clipboard..
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 04:06:33 PM »
When you select map size lets say 64 is what you want then go directly to make map do not I repeat do not open map size again, oba is the main file for terrain editor, I myself just use TE1 for my clipboard map and do all other building in TE2. hope this helps. zmegs right soda but the oba file is for opening terrain editor and the files it contains while in the editor its self, correct me if I'm wrong z but I've never tried to open editor w/ the other files?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 04:41:57 PM by FalconSS »
Marty McFly

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
TE1 and the clipboard..
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 04:26:22 PM »
The mdm file is the map size, oba is object file, elv is elevation, typ is tile layout, SYP is subtype (both of these can be opened and edited in photoshop as raw files)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
TE1 and the clipboard..
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 07:33:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys,

I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong.  I didn't rename and save the map.bmp in the texsrc directory as a 256 colored bitmap.  

For some reason that step is not mentioned in the TE help file :D