Author Topic: Head-Ons... how to get rid of them?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Head-Ons... how to get rid of them?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2000, 09:28:00 AM »
Punted for Santa's reading pleasure...

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »
Head ons are historically accurate, especially in the pacific with f4 wildcats's, p40's and p39's vs. zero's. Chennault told his pilots to head on if given the opportunity.  
     The lufwaffe was instructed to head on the buffs. And it certainly was not uncommon for two eto fiters to head on.....stupid, but they did it.  Remember, these things were being flown by kids....21,22,23 years old.  Kids think they're immortal and have a propensity to make some pretty good errors in judgement.
   I dont like head ons and will avoid them on the first pass, but if in a close turn fight I will start firing head on if I have to.
     I'm not crazy about 'em, but they are historically accurate.
CRASH

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2000, 03:43:00 PM »
All this talk about tactics is pure tripe. No one cares about that, that is complaining.
Most of the complaints are that the other guy died too but only 1 kill was awarded, or that the effects of net lag so greatly effect the result of an HO (which can also cause an HO UNINTENDED by one of the parties)
HiTech knows fullwell the problems of HO's and on-line flying and he knows why it was turned off in AW and then back on CK, WB's, and now AH.  It is here it has problems and it will not go away, it is a choice made by the producer of the game to have or not have HO situations in on-line flying this choice having been made MOVE ON.

Offline jehu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2000, 04:19:00 PM »
In this arena, AH, the one who avoids a “suicidal” HO and is able to get a kill is truly the more skillful pilot. I can tell when I have a HO situation on may hands and try to use that to my advantage.  If he is going to try an HO me that means I can “steer” him.

On that note I would be the first to HO if the fight, especially in a furball situation, degenerates to the deck with multiple bogies in the area.  I will charge like a bull in hope to be first and get out alive.

------------------
jehu

[This message has been edited by jehu (edited 08-08-2000).]

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2000, 06:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by Westy:
I once blew up close enough to Mitsu to almost hurt him once. Does that count?

-Westy

Hehehe I enaged Mitsu in a B-17 once with a P-38 (bad idea) and we mutally shot each other up  

He kept flying, and I got both radiators shot out   Managed to make to the runway tho.

Hmmm I have been guilty of frowning upon front aspect shots...it's stupidity on my part because I normally don't take front quarter shots period. It's just kind of frustrating after doding an intial, pure HO pass (easy to dodge with a roll and all) engage them and turn N burn down to the deck, to where I normally blow it where the guy gets close enough for a front aspect shot. (Normally with me in a P-51   ) to where I pull straight up and start rolling wildly. Sometimes it works, most of the time I take a few hits. Other's it's the 4 cannon slam of death. But I never get the ol' HO accusation  

Only time I did recently was an engagement with 2 F4U-1C's...killed one, took a burst from the other and lost a gun, managed to get a good HO burst with no damage to the 1C, took 3 more long bursts of .50 to put it down. P-51's are fun down low  

- Jig

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2000, 07:06:00 PM »
HOing is an art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
and a crapshoot with warps and lag etc..

[This message has been edited by Torque (edited 08-08-2000).]

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2000, 08:33:00 PM »
Lol Avoiding the HO without sacrificing position is an art form without doubt.
Learn it or lose is what it comes down to, basically if your concentrating on taking a HO shot your not thinking about starting your next move and if thats so, then your the best part of already lost.
Hmm Mitsu where have i heard that name before ?
Ah yes i hear Monica clipped his wings a time or 2 both using an A6M in a straight on fight (free player).
Judging from the comments above on his ability it must have been luck i guess.