Author Topic: How do i?!  (Read 743 times)

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
How do i?!
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:24:48 PM »
how do i make a skin look metal and shinny.. Im doing a p40e and i just have it grey.. it shines.. but how do u make it look like metal?!
-Spade

Offline FuBaR

• Nickel Member
^@$&%^~!@
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »
i believe  the term you are looking for is "mirror finish".

and when you find out please use it. You make great sounds. I trust you will make great skins

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
How do i?!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:23:18 PM »
Spade - The shininess is built into the model itself, look at the B17 for example. Try doing a green one, it still is shiny, built into the model properties, nothing we can change here.

You can simulate shininess by using highlights and lowlights but it isnt the same thing.

Unless of course HT gives us the ability to use reflectivity maps in the future. Usually built into a alpha channel layer, but not possible in the current bitmap format.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
How do i?!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 01:44:14 AM »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
How do i?!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 07:00:54 AM »
Study this jpeg of a P-47D-40 fuselage side.   See how he blends different colors of greys and blues.     This is what I used as an example for my "Bonnie" P-47D-11, but I went with lighter shades.    I think Waffle originally made this image; and I was so impressed with it I saved it.    

Grab the jpeg and paste it into a P-47 skin bmp and take a look at it in game - play with it, make changes and see how that affects the look in the game.   Persistance and experimentation will pay off.

Nopoop also made a nifty .psd file of a section of his P-47 - he can email it to you, or with his permission I can email you the one he sent me.    He has another technique for simulating bare aluminum shine that's really cool.

Also, go to AH Custom Skins and download Octavius's bare metal P-40 skin and study that one's bmp files.   It's and awesome skin.

Keep at it!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 07:06:38 AM by oboe »

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
How do i?!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 09:05:45 PM »
oboe thats incredable