Author Topic: HiTech v Tern  (Read 5219 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Ranker, I dont know whether to answer you or feel sorry for you.

It seems like there is so much you dont understand.

Guys like HT and Pyro are extremely talented and knowledgable programmers, they dont have to give us this game.  They could take jobs with any of hundreds of companies, work 40 hr work weeks not 80, get paid very well and not have to put up with all the nonsense.  They choose to do it to develop their own company doing something they love.  That doesnt give us the right to act like jerks.

Human nature is a funny thing, and it has long been known that people will respond positively to the right kind of input, and on the other hand will, even at their own inconvience, do things to spite others that piss them off.  What I am suggesting is that you treat the developers of this game with respect, friendship and encouragement, be part of a positive force for change.  

These guys will do whatever they can to improve the game and make the customers happy. It is in their best interest to do so, but not everything can be done, certainly not all at once.  

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
Hmmm...

I thinking Tern WAS on good behavior!  

Wardog,

I have problems with the P-38 myself.  The guns just don't seem to have any "WOMP".  Whereas; I had thought that the lethality at the piont of contact should be devastating.  Any one gun hitting would essentially be all five guns hitting.  This is just not so.

IMO your skills and the average "Scmuck" spelled "People like Mino who struggle with gunnery" are like comparing apples to raisins.  Please keep that in mind.  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2000, 10:59:00 AM »
Are we using Avalon Hill as an example of good business practice....wow. Stick with your business model HTC....

[This message has been edited by Pongo (edited 04-01-2000).]

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »
Mino..

I had all guns set at 400 convergence. After running outa cannon rounds on the b26s, the 4 .50s had no problem cutting p38s, La5s & another b26 in half. All hits started at D3 and under except for the b26.  I started shooting at 600 as its a damn big target.

Im sure being nose mounted guns helped,and i will fly the p51 tonight with film on and only load out 4 .50s on her. Being wing mounted i dont really expect the same results as 4 .50s on the p38.

My point here is i have found nothing wrong with the .50s in AH. There damn deadly.

The 357th & 13th TAS are p51 Squads,and ive not heard anyone from these Squads complaining about the .50s..

Toad,Rude,Hangtime,jr and svk a knight pilot are all good 51 jocks and have no problems with the .50s.. Oh, HT is also a p51 jock and also has found no problem with them  

funked

HiTech v Tern
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
Fifties Rock!  I split time between the Spitfire Mk. IX and the Mustang Mk. IV, and I'd like to have the Mustang guns installed in the Spitfire!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2000, 02:03:00 PM »
Wardog;

Thanks!  

The final straw for me in the P-38 happened  just recently when I lit up another P-38.  I lit him up 3 to 5 times at ranges under d300.  He just kept on flying like I was not there.   I then managed to get into a "AutoPilot Only" recoverable spin and splashed myself.  

Granted, these were not all sustained bursts, but each burst showed multiple hits.  Basically any one of these bursts, if from say a Spit or N1K2, would have put him down.

This was a re-run from my 15 or so previous encounters where I managed to gain the edge.  I have no idea of the damage I inflicted because, I got so mad after the experience that I logged off to cool down.  I thought this a wise thing to do at the time.  

I have flown the P-38 exclusivly since it came out.  The first thing that I noticed was its lack of punch.  Like I said, my gunnery is not the greatest.  I mostly flew the N1K2 prior to that.  

Typically, I end up in a dogfight where snapshots are required.  Very seldom do I get the luxury of setting up where I can get a long sustained burst.  That does not happen often unless I am in the suppressing NME from taking off mode.  

I can be much more successful with cannon armed planes.  Torque tried to tell me this was so.....

Honestly, it was a sad day for me.  I need(ed) to take a "Time Out" from the P-38 and start liking ACM again.  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »

Originally posted by Minotaur:
The final straw for me in the P-38 happened  just recently when I lit up another P-38.  I lit him up 3 to 5 times at ranges under d300.  He just kept on flying like I was not there.  
Granted, these were not all sustained bursts, but each burst showed multiple hits.  Basically any one of these bursts, if from say a Spit or N1K2, would have put him down.

This was a re-run from my 15 or so previous encounters where I managed to gain the edge.  

I have flown the P-38 exclusivly since it came out.  The first thing that I noticed was its lack of punch.  

Typically, I end up in a dogfight where snapshots are required.  Very seldom do I get the luxury of setting up where I can get a long sustained burst.  

[/B]

Why is it all other P-38 pilots are in other squads   The 475th "Lightning Riders" is a P-38 squadron, join us  

Ok, ok, I wont start recruiting here, but I can tell Minotaur the following:

1)Set convergence to 150 on the P-38. Some people laugh at this, since nose guns arent affected by convergence, but heck, ever since I set em there I get kills with 2 hits instead of the 6 it took before (at ANY range below 800)

2)Though it may be hard to do, try to ALWAYS aim for the wings. If from above, get the wings, from below, the same, if on a target's 6, ping him till he turns, THEN match target's bank, pull to get a deflection shot, and put the rudder one keyboard tap to either side and let out a long burst. Target's wings will rip   .

One thing I do agree with Mino is that the 38 has a bit of underpunch, but not because of lack of damage, but somehow the convergence is not being applied to it (or something). 4 .50's and one 20mm hiting the same spot with less than half a foot distance each bullet HAS to rip something apart, you can't get better convergence than that!. Now I only await the next version, where I hope the dive breaks, flaps and 1/3rd more powerful engines are put in  

But this is not a 38 discussion, Mino, lets move it over to the 38 threads  

[This message has been edited by Wraith (edited 04-01-2000).]
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2000, 04:46:00 PM »

1)Set convergence to 150 on the P-38. Some people laugh at this, since nose guns arent affected by convergence, but heck, ever since I set em there I get kills with 2 hits instead of the 6 it took before (at ANY range below 800)

EH?  2 hits?

I light them up good at times, and they keep on flying.  I must have the wrong hobby, I'm just unlucky at this one.  

BTW sorry for continuing my P-38 "Not so great" wimper.  I'll stop....

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

funked

HiTech v Tern
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2000, 04:51:00 PM »
1/3 more powerful engines in the P-38?  Welcome to Fantasy Island!  Zeee plane Zeee plane boss!

Offline Wraith

• Zinc Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by Minotaur:
EH?  2 hits?

I light them up good at times, and they keep on flying.  I must have the wrong hobby, I'm just unlucky at this one.    

BTW sorry for continuing my P-38 "Not so great" wimper.  I'll stop....

LOL! I guess we're both on the same track then   Now I dont get outgunned, but I do get outflown thanks to the wimpy undercharged engines it has now *grin*.

I am still trying to get HT to remove the warheads on the rockets, strap those rockets to my wings and use em as an extra WEP (HAHAAHA)  

What times you fly mino? Ill gladly die on your wing !
-\/\/R/-\IT|-|

"The only two things that fall from the sky is manna from heaven, and your plane."

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
Wow. I've been a lucky sob in the P-38.
It's my prefered vulch platform. Much more than an F4u-1C and if I have "E" I'm not afraid of any bogy or two. My last flight last night I lost one engine to a 1/4 or HO shot and still I managed to keep enough "E" to kill 2 bogies before landing at base.
 I think connection quality IS a BIG factor in alot of this hit, no-hit biz. I'm on cable modem service and maybe that's why if I find I get my guns on a bogy they come apart quite nicely. Be it from flying a 38, MK V, -1D or hatever.
 I'm number 400 I believe in overall rank here. Alot of you are far better than I am.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 04-01-2000).]

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2000, 06:46:00 PM »
What Toad said!

The other night I heard several taunting Tern in a not so kind manner about changing countries....it really wasn't necessary.

However, in the ten years I have flown these sims, one thing remains the same....folks always find somthing to complain about.
Maybe counting our blessings is a concept to consider?

As far as not liking another player, thats cool too....I've always found the most effective way of sharing my feelings about someone who I dont really care for, is simply to kill them.

Just some Deep Thoughts by Rude

Rude Out!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2000, 07:02:00 PM »
"Holy BBQ Pit Batman!!!"

Ohhhh boy... here I go; steppin off into the deeeeep deeep doggie doo again.

--------------------------------

"Typically, I end up in a dogfight where snapshots are required. Very seldom do I get the luxury of setting up where I can get a long sustained burst. That does not happen often unless I am in the suppressing NME from taking off mode."

-------------------------------

Sounds like a scene from my average evening in the cockpit/office of my P51. I dunno what in hell is goin on... howls of gunnery; ballistics; rubber bullits, porked damage models... dammo it's getting overwhelming.

From my perspective; the .50's do fine with some time on target; particularly with low AOT shots. I think the lethality is poor to dismal in a snapshot, and only about half as good as it should be on smooth well aimed and delivered deflection shots. Of course; this is just my opinion; and like amazinhunks; we all have one.. at least.  

On the other hand this complaint/thread seems to come off rather consistently... surely; from the sheer volume of fire being leveled about them, one can get the impression that something ain't right with the .50's. What that might be is pure conjecture... even that something is wrong is fer chrissakes pure conjecture. None of this is worth burnin a bridge... or a candle over.

And all I can add to this discussion is more conjecture. I say we all shaddup about it till the next revison is out and we've had some time to see what, if anything changed. The gun models are better here than anywhere else... anybody disbelieve THAT one?

I'm more than willing to accept what we have as a gunnery model... and have tried to adapt my style of flying and fighting to accomodate it. Of course; I may grouse about it, but I realize that when I'm in the hospital with truck tire marks across my body, it's kinda pointless to hassle the nurse about the truck being overmodeled.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
HiTech v Tern
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2000, 09:39:00 PM »
Well said Hang.  This is one of the few posts I've seen from you that I actually agree with 100%

<Salute!>

AKDejaVu

funked

HiTech v Tern
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2000, 10:25:00 PM »
I can't recall seeing any real gun films where a snapshot caused large-scale damage.