Author Topic: Qestion for Tony Williams  (Read 369 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Qestion for Tony Williams
« on: October 01, 2004, 08:00:02 AM »
Hey Tony,

You might have missed a question I asked the other day about the Gsh301 cannon.

I noticed it has an ammo feed at the very rear of the weapon instead of towards the front, to my layman’s eyes that’s unusual especially when you said it was a similar weapon operation to the browning.

Also, according to this picture, it just doesn’t seem to have much structure back there at all, where is the firing chamber?

Can you explain how this gun works?

Offline Tony Williams

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 10:30:09 AM »
I've never seen a cutaway diagram or anything explaining how it works, just been given a brief description.

The chamber must be the fatter cylindrical bit. I know that the cartridge is violently kicked into the breech (and just as violently ejected - at 100 m/s!), presumably by that lever-shaped thingy right at the back.

I've seen a a video of a ground firing test (possibly still on the web somewhere)  which is highly spectacular - flame flaring from the front and smoke billowing out the back!

It doesn't stand any truck with misfires either. If a cartridge misfires a blank charge above the chamber detonates and blasts through a small hole into the chamber straight through the case to ignite the propellant - you WILL fire dammit!

I think that it is a design right on the edge; it just about works but is so violent that I seriously doubt that it lasts for long before falling apart. But then, that's always been the Russian way...

Tony Williams

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 11:54:07 AM »
Thanks Tony.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:21:37 PM »

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 11:03:08 PM »
WoW!

Offline Tony Williams

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 04:59:49 AM »
Yep, that's the video clip I was referring to. Definitely not healthy to stand next to that gun when it's firing - if you don't get scorched by the muzzle blast or choked by the smoke, you'll get clobbered by a flying shell case!

Although the gun is officially a short-recoil type, it is really a recoil-unlocked blowback; to achieve such a phenomenal rate of fire for a single-chamber gun, the breech must open very early while there is still a lot of gas pressure in the barrel (that's why so much smoke comes out of the breech)  so the fired case is blown out with some force.

TW