Author Topic: P40E roll rate  (Read 320 times)

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
P40E roll rate
« on: September 30, 2004, 10:04:38 PM »
I always had a feeling the P40E roll rate was a tad sluggish.  I couldn't put my finger on it.  I have read in many different places that the P40's roll rate was considered to be very good for it's time.  Of course of the various articles I've come across where I found a roll rate was from a pilot's point of view, and thus subjective.

Aside from my own subjective 'feeling', I never had any data available to me to test the rate in AH.  I have recently come across some data and I would like to test it.

The only problem is I don't know the proper way to test this out.  Since the data I have did not specify just how it was attained, I have a few questions:

[list=1]1)  What fuel settings should I use?  25%, 50%?
2)  At what altitude should these tests be conducted?  
3)  What do I measure?  ie, full roll, half roll, quarter roll...
4)  If a full roll, should I keep the nose level by using elevator and/or rudder input?[/list]
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

storch

Re: P40E roll rate
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 07:45:15 AM »
Originally posted by Octavius
I always had a feeling the P40E roll rate was a tad sluggish.  I couldn't put my finger on it.  I have read in many different places that the P40's roll rate was considered to be very good for it's time.  Of course of the various articles I've come across where I found a roll rate was from a pilot's point of view, and thus subjective.

Aside from my own subjective 'feeling', I never had any data available to me to test the rate in AH.  I have recently come across some data and I would like to test it.

The only problem is I don't know the proper way to test this out.  Since the data I have did not specify just how it was attained, I have a few questions:

[list=1]1)  What fuel settings should I use?  25%, 50%?
2)  At what altitude should these tests be conducted?  
3)  What do I measure?  ie, full roll, half roll, quarter roll...
4)  If a full roll, should I keep the nose level by using elevator and/or rudder input?[/list][/size] [/B]

Test data usually specifies the aircraft's weight, altitude and speed at which the tests were performed and some even specify air temperature.

Offline Avenger604

• Zinc Member
P40E roll rate
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 12:40:25 PM »
Don't really know if this will help...
http://www.barans.spb.ru/files/rgreat/rollrate.pdf