Author Topic: Base taking strategy  (Read 2167 times)

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2004, 02:41:31 AM »
Ok...a few things to clear up here.

1. This Goon flying thing goes back to us both being online in the MA, and his whining for 10+min on country channel about how much "we" all suck because "we" couldn't protect him.   I wasn't jumping out fresh here, there is a history to this convo, and my sarcastic 1st sentence wasn't based purely on his stats, but more so his actions/words in the MA.

2. Yes I was somewhat being a smart arse in my 1st sentence.  It was more in reply to his rude/insulting rants on country channel in the MA,.  He went on and on and on about how much everyone sux. because a 262 got his goon.  I for one can't think of a single way to prevent a 262 from killing a goon.  You can't protect from that.  You CAN try and be sneaky, and avoid the goon hunters.    Flying behind a mission in a goon, taking an obvious route to a field = cannon fodder for a 262 driver.  Bottom line.  But that wasn't the 1st RobMo rant i've been party to.  He is know to be quite the character in the MA, and spews rude things to his fellow knits all the time.

3. I WAS trying to help.  Even when i'm being sarcastic in my post, you will almost always see that I ALSO am offering help, and/or advice.  I DO only have his stats to go on (and what i've seen when we've flown 2gether in the MA), and that is enough for me to get at least a rough understanding of how he fly's, and what "stage" of his flying carrer he is in.  (last tour) 113 fighter sorties, with 83 deaths vs. 18 kills can tell you a wee bit re. skill.  Everybody is new at one time.  I don't hold his "skill" level against him, just his people skills.  I for one will respond to most jerks with sarcasm, even as I try and help them.  Spew a bunch o' crazy drivel, and that colors my opinion.  No avoiding that.  But I also am quick to forgive, and try my best to help out.

3. I'm not a trainer.  Ghost (head trainer) and I have talked, and I do spend alot of time in the TA trying to help out (per him) but it's not "official".  I do what I do simply because I want to give back.  

4. I just dueled Shane the other day.  He was in the DA fighting a guy, and the pilot he was ftn wasn't understanding what Shane was telling him re. merges, ACM etc.  So I let the guy .join me as Shane and I fought, so he could "see" how to merge, do scissors etc.  He then .joined shane, for the reverse perspective.  Shane DID win almost all the fights.  He's an excellent pilot (top 2-3 in the game in the DA IMHO).  BUT all the fights were very close, and pretty drawn out.  He (or myself) never won a fight quick.  After we were done I asked Shane to critique me and give me advice on how to improve.   He had none.  He said he was just a tiny  better at riding the edge than I was.   to Shane.  He's mouthy in the MA, but will do backflips for you to help train you.  So no...Shane doesn't really have anything to teach me.  I just need to spend more time in the DA.

Elfie, t/y for having my back, and understanding what I was doing.  

JensK, I  don't recall a tift btween us, but anything is possible.  Oh I remember now.  Somehow you tried to paint some picture of me bullying you, which was (is) laughable.  If you got it, post a link to THAT thread so I can re-read it.  Prob. good for a chuckle or 3.
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline JensK

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2004, 03:44:47 AM »
JensK, I don't recall a tift btween us, but anything is possible. Oh I remember now. Somehow you tried to paint some picture of me bullying you, which was (is) laughable. If you got it, post a link to THAT thread so I can re-read it. Prob. good for a chuckle or 3.

I dont think so, I usually keep away from personal accusations
on a public bbs and I dont recall mentioning any of some sort
bullying either. Sounds like you act much on impuls, Lute.
I also do not think there has ever been any friction between us
when I was JensK. I do remember you wanting to teach me a lot
of things when I was Fencer though. And not very useful things;
like -"shut up noob", -"learn some skill noob" etc...

Well I can agree on that Robs first reply could use some afterthought too. If not a lot.

Ok, you and Rob were having a personal vendetta.  Thats hard to
tell from what you and Rob writes in this thread. Why dont you
keep it to yourselves and sort it out by your own and not use this
thread to justify yourselves.

Offline RobMo68

• Nickel Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
Base taking strategy
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2004, 04:45:22 AM »
Originally posted by flyingaround
Ok...a few things to clear up here.

1. This Goon flying thing goes back to us both being online in the MA, and his whining for 10+min on country channel about how much "we" all suck because "we" couldn't protect him.   I wasn't jumping out fresh here, there is a history to this convo, and my sarcastic 1st sentence wasn't based purely on his stats, but more so his actions/words in the MA.

2. Yes I was somewhat being a smart arse in my 1st sentence.  It was more in reply to his rude/insulting rants on country channel in the MA,.  He went on and on and on about how much everyone sux. because a 262 got his goon.  I for one can't think of a single way to prevent a 262 from killing a goon.  You can't protect from that.  You CAN try and be sneaky, and avoid the goon hunters.    Flying behind a mission in a goon, taking an obvious route to a field = cannon fodder for a 262 driver.  Bottom line.  But that wasn't the 1st RobMo rant i've been party to.  He is know to be quite the character in the MA, and spews rude things to his fellow knits all the time.

3. I WAS trying to help.  Even when i'm being sarcastic in my post, you will almost always see that I ALSO am offering help, and/or advice.  I DO only have his stats to go on (and what i've seen when we've flown 2gether in the MA), and that is enough for me to get at least a rough understanding of how he fly's, and what "stage" of his flying carrer he is in.  (last tour) 113 fighter sorties, with 83 deaths vs. 18 kills can tell you a wee bit re. skill.  Everybody is new at one time.  I don't hold his "skill" level against him, just his people skills.  I for one will respond to most jerks with sarcasm, even as I try and help them.  Spew a bunch o' crazy drivel, and that colors my opinion.  No avoiding that.  But I also am quick to forgive, and try my best to help out.

3. I'm not a trainer.  Ghost (head trainer) and I have talked, and I do spend alot of time in the TA trying to help out (per him) but it's not "official".  I do what I do simply because I want to give back.  

4. I just dueled Shane the other day.  He was in the DA fighting a guy, and the pilot he was ftn wasn't understanding what Shane was telling him re. merges, ACM etc.  So I let the guy .join me as Shane and I fought, so he could "see" how to merge, do scissors etc.  He then .joined shane, for the reverse perspective.  Shane DID win almost all the fights.  He's an excellent pilot (top 2-3 in the game in the DA IMHO).  BUT all the fights were very close, and pretty drawn out.  He (or myself) never won a fight quick.  After we were done I asked Shane to critique me and give me advice on how to improve.   He had none.  He said he was just a tiny  better at riding the edge than I was.   to Shane.  He's mouthy in the MA, but will do backflips for you to help train you.  So no...Shane doesn't really have anything to teach me.  I just need to spend more time in the DA.

Elfie, t/y for having my back, and understanding what I was doing.  

JensK, I  don't recall a tift btween us, but anything is possible.  Oh I remember now.  Somehow you tried to paint some picture of me bullying you, which was (is) laughable.  If you got it, post a link to THAT thread so I can re-read it.  Prob. good for a chuckle or 3.

Lute,
1st. I asked you to leave well enough alone!
2nd. Does this look like the M A?
3rd. I think you've got me mistaken with 68ballS or GUNS06, or someone else, I don't whine on or off the VOX, COUNTRY, or ch200! I may get P O'd and voice my anger, but I don't believe I ever rattled your cage! You started this with your "smart arse" comments about my honest opinion. So STFU already!
OBTW,
4th. If you feel that you can't learn anything from anybody, that just shows your own shortsidedness, and unwillingness to learn (and your arrogance)! So thus endith the lesson for today, Mr. Professor.
Speed68a
Special Forces Wing: POTW nUb:"Get outta my mud, biotch"

+~WARPIGS RACING~+
ERL S3R9 Winner

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
Base taking strategy
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2004, 05:47:01 AM »
Originally posted by JensK
I dont think so, I usually keep away from personal accusations
on a public bbs and I dont recall mentioning any of some sort
bullying either. Sounds like you act much on impuls, Lute.
I also do not think there has ever been any friction between us
when I was JensK. I do remember you wanting to teach me a lot
of things when I was Fencer though. And not very useful things;
like -"shut up noob", -"learn some skill noob" etc...

Well I can agree on that Robs first reply could use some afterthought too. If not a lot.

Ok, you and Rob were having a personal vendetta.  Thats hard to
tell from what you and Rob writes in this thread. Why dont you
keep it to yourselves and sort it out by your own and not use this
thread to justify yourselves.

I must be mistaken then re. who I thought you were/are.  BUT you can not find me anyone that can say I have ever said "shut up noob".  You would find it most difficult to find anyone that has been told (by me) to "learn some skill noob".  I just don't do that.  Never have, doubt I will.  I can count those kind of remarks on one hand that I have every typed/said while flying in my 2yrs.  (if that many).  I HAVE said things to people in the MA to get 'em to duel me.  I might question their skill lvl and abilities, but never w/ someone new, or with a high rank (i.e. 2000 rank), and those that I DO say such things to are usually top 100 pilots.  IF you ranked in the top 100 (ish), but run from every fight, or face shoot exclusivly, expect me to mention it.  

I just have not, nor will, ever say such things to new pilots.  

RobMo... I'm done.  Nice personal attack and insults.  Go you.  

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671723650/qid=1097057823/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_2_1/102-9747219-3520101
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 06:05:18 AM by flyingaround »
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
a base can be taken by 4 or 5 pilots in 1 to 2 passes
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2004, 11:53:53 AM »
Agflit22,
You said "a base can be taken by 4 or 5 pilots in 1 to 2 passes"   by "taken" you mean captured, correct?    I'm just saying Agflit22 that if you only have 5 aircraft and one of them is a C47's and the base you are attempting to capture starts upping fighters as soon as it starts to blink.  I think it unlikely that you are going to capture it with 4 armed aircraft and a goon  even if you get all your primary targets on your first pass( VH and FH's Field ack at both the airfield and town).

I'm sure you are correct, if no one ups to defend the base, you can take it with a few airplans.  I'm pretty sure that everyone here has experienced that at one time or another.  But with the short down times at the town in AHII and the more accurate AAA.  If only a few fighters up when the base starts to blink, they can do a pretty good job of holding off 4 attackers with one goon in tow.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: a base can be taken by 4 or 5 pilots in 1 to 2 passes
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2004, 05:18:58 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
Agflit22,
You said "a base can be taken by 4 or 5 pilots in 1 to 2 passes"   by "taken" you mean captured, correct?    I'm just saying Agflit22 that if you only have 5 aircraft and one of them is a C47's and the base you are attempting to capture starts upping fighters as soon as it starts to blink.  I think it unlikely that you are going to capture it with 4 armed aircraft and a goon  even if you get all your primary targets on your first pass( VH and FH's Field ack at both the airfield and town).

I'm sure you are correct, if no one ups to defend the base, you can take it with a few airplans.  I'm pretty sure that everyone here has experienced that at one time or another.  But with the short down times at the town in AHII and the more accurate AAA.  If only a few fighters up when the base starts to blink, they can do a pretty good job of holding off 4 attackers with one goon in tow.

I dont beleive 4-5 planes would have enough ord to take down the VH, All the FH, and the town.

What you would have to do is use all ord on town and use 1-2 planes after they have dropped on the town to kill ack and keep feild supressed while the other planes finish off the town and drop troops.
Its possible but very tough and you would only get 1 shot at it so everything would have to be perfect
This would all have to happen very fast and have to be an NOE raid against an unsuspecting feild. and before any sort of plane defence started upping in any numbers.

1 or 2 planes can hold a base at bay for maybe a couple min but only if limited planes started upping.
This type of attact I think if it worked at all woud only work against a small feild where there are a limited amount of runways to choose from.
But everything would have to be perfect and would have to be done VERY fast
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline eta32

• Zinc Member
Response to: xHaMmeRx
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2004, 05:47:48 PM »
"Having jumped from C-130s many times, I can tell you that anything but level flight makes exiting the aircraft almost impossible and strings out your chalk over a much greater distance.

Putting troops out during a loop? No way.

_____________________________ ____
Hmmm absolutely true;... however
keep in mind this is a game!

There is no way a B-17 is going to fly 100 feet off the ground strafing ack and gv's
or low over the base strafing aircraft taking off either... but guess what... it is done in here by a few, which I call totally un-kool.

Besides I did not say I deployed troops during a loop.
I am high speed low level pull up as I get to the map room.. going verticle ..
and immediately launch troops.. troops are out... boom.. straight dow to the map room. No running.. no stoppig to tie their shoelaces.. not packin up the chute..  just into the map room.
My troops have this down pat.