Author Topic: Kerry voting record  (Read 270 times)

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Kerry voting record
« on: October 06, 2004, 04:37:09 PM »
I know some people have mentioned Kerry's voting record. So I went and did some searching and found some info to the claims.

Some facts. He voted against the Pentagon's budget appropriations in 1990, 95 and against authorization to spend in 96. 3 out of 19 years he voted against the overall Pentagon budget. 16 out of 19 years he voted for it the various approp/autorizations.

He voted against the B-2 in 89, 91, 92. He voted against the Trident II misile in 94, 95. He voted against funds for SDI in 91, 93, 95, 96. Around the same time, Bush sr announced he would cut defense spending by 30% overall (post cold war) and cease production of the B-2, and MX missiles.

As far as the M1 tanks, Bradly fighting vehicles, F-18s. He never voted against these weapons systems specificaly. They were were part of the overall defense budget of the pentagon in 90, 95, 95 in which years he voted against the overall budget. Basicaly to reduce production etc... aiming at a reduction.

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=252

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=177

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docid=147

On body armor for Iraq. He voted against the 87-billion supplemental which included 300 milltion for additional vests but also money for reconstruction etc... Its clear in his voting that although he gave Bush authority in dealing with Iraq, he later disagreed in the way Bush carried it out.

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docid=155

So where is he weak in defense. He seems like a responsible senator doing his job opposing what he believes is excessive at the times (post cold war) and working against policies he disagrees with. Thats what senators are suppose to do. Do we have enough B-2s, and nuclear missiles today? Are navy air groups still setup with 2x12 fighters (2 squadrons), 2x12 (2 squadrons)  light attack aircraft. F-18s are fighter bombers and can perform both roles.

You can go here to click on his voting record by subject catagory.

http://www.vote-smart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=S0421103
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 05:10:56 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Kerry voting record
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 04:53:28 PM »
I just went to the site and clicked 2004 and 2003 defence votes. ( I'm at work, can't spend lots of time)

In that catagory, he DID NOT VOTE  four out of five times in those years.

I'm going to go through them all when I get home and get back with you on his "responsible" record.

The guy hardly ever shows up for work, so I expect to see more missed votes than anything. Same goes with Edwards. Two of the same.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Kerry voting record
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 05:21:10 PM »
Would anyone argue that US has a military today that is capable of destroying the military of any middle eastern country in 6 months? In a situation where force is needed, could the carrier air groups/airforce or army/marines consolidate its assets to provide sufficient force anywhere in the world since the soviet union is now gone?

Yes, and yes with some small criteria that may need to be adjusted.

So my own final conclusion and opinion is that Kerry's voting record may seem less inclined towards defense than your standard rep senator. However, from a moderate viewpoint, it seems discretional and responsible towards defense issues considering all other issues.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 05:59:32 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
this one is enough for me
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:06:48 PM »
suprisingly he showed up for to vote on it...

'Partial-Birth' Abortion Ban - Adoption

I never want a POTUS who thinks this should be legal and acceptable form of abortion - can you say murder?

hmmm???

and lookie what he voted here:
Use of Force-Passage

two face hot-air liberal
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 06:13:12 PM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Kerry voting record
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 06:51:06 PM »
What some are ignoring is the fact that some of the troops were sent to Iraq w/o the good body armor, this was before the vote on the 87B. Saying that JK voted against the body armor is just the spin from the Right since some of the troops were already exposed to the danger of non state of the art body armor.

IIRC, something like 90% of the Hummers were 'soft' also.

Also ignored is the fact that the Prez himself threatened to veto the bill if it was changed to allow for a portion of it to be paid back. IMO it's because there would be a layer of accountability if some of the funds were 'loaned'.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Kerry voting record
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 06:54:30 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
What some are ignoring is the fact that some of the troops were sent to Iraq w/o the good body armor, this was before the vote on the 87B. Saying that JK voted against the body armor is just the spin from the Right since some of the troops were already exposed to the danger of non state of the art body armor.

IIRC, something like 90% of the Hummers were 'soft' also.

Also ignored is the fact that the Prez himself threatened to veto the bill if it was changed to allow for a portion of it to be paid back. IMO it's because there would be a layer of accountability if some of the funds were 'loaned'.

No, you're just trying to spin the facts.

Fact:  the 87 billion was for equipment, parts, and supplies INCLUDING body armor.

Fact:  Kerry voted against it.

In Kerry's own words, that was an irresponsible vote.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Kerry voting record
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 07:08:34 PM »
Talk about Spin,

Come on Mr Lars, that is just what you are trying to do!
Saying that JK voted against the body armor  

He did vote against it.  That is a fact.  Not spin.  

And then in the most disgusting hypocritical exhibition ever witnessed in any debate, he actually had the unmitigated gall to try act like it was Bushs fault.  He has voted against military spending every freaking time.  Maybe if the military recieved support from clowns like him, maybe if they actually gave a squat about our troops, all the troops might have been equipped before they had any chance to enter a combat zone.  Maybe???

Fact is, and I have witnessed it myself on visits to Ft Benning and Ft Bragg, the democrats have done nothing for the soldiers, and it wasn't until after Bush took over that the the most deplorable barracks the troops were living in were starting to be replaced with decent living quarters.

Kerry = all talk, mostly lies and BS,  Bush = positive action.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"