Author Topic: Memphis Belle...The first or not?  (Read 305 times)

Offline Muckmaw1

• Nickel Member
Memphis Belle...The first or not?
« on: October 06, 2004, 02:39:31 PM »
Article says Memphis Belle was one of the first planes to complete 25 missions in Europe.

I thought it was THE first.

Which is it?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041006/ap_on_re_us/memphis_belle

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:42:08 PM »
Controversy over the plane Hell's Angels or the Memphis Belle. Memphis Belle was the first in the 8th AF and then to return to the US.
-SW

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:43:14 PM »
It was definitely the first to fly 25 missions, return on one engine, almost have a crew member thrown out the bomb-bay, have tomato soup explode in the cockpit, and just barely land on 2 wheels after furious cranking by the cowardly navigator... to the tune of "Oh Danny Boy".

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 02:57:38 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
It was definitely the first to fly 25 missions, return on one engine, almost have a crew member thrown out the bomb-bay, have tomato soup explode in the cockpit, and just barely land on 2 wheels after furious cranking by the cowardly navigator... to the tune of "Oh Danny Boy".

Heh....that was beautiful MT!!  :aok

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 03:04:18 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target

LOL, Good one.

The Pipes, the Pipes are callin!

Might as well of called the movie a different name, The movie had nothing to do with the crew of the Memphis belle besides the fact that they were trying to accomplish 25 missions.

Not one character in the movie had a real name from the real Memphis Belle, Even the Pilot had a different name. Although fun to watch, Don't look for any historical facts in the movie, Or you'll be so dissapointed you will ask yourself why it was even made.

Back to Topic, Which was the First B17 to complete 50, then 75 missions?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »
there is a documentary about the 25th mission of the "bell", it was made by the aircorp at the time, it was a uneventfull mission, the crew was then sent back to the states for war bond drive, the "bell" flew one more mission with a different crew before some aircorp guy thought it would be a good idea to send the plane back to the states also, the planes were never "retired" they flew as long as they were flyable.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 05:08:39 PM »
I thought I remember reading it phrased something like "the first B-17 crew to complete 25 missions," which leads me to believe that other planes had done it, but not with their original crews (ie one crew member wounded/killed and replaced).

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 05:48:51 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
I thought I remember reading it phrased something like "the first B-17 crew to complete 25 missions," which leads me to believe that other planes had done it, but not with their original crews (ie one crew member wounded/killed and replaced).

They may have said that because non-USAAF crews had done the same and maybe the Belle was the first USAAF to complete it?
NEXX