Author Topic: 22 Sqn RAAF Boston  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
22 Sqn RAAF Boston
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 07:02:50 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Boston modified with solid nose and 4x .50cal is a Havoc. Both are A20s, just different marks.

Just make the skin for the A20G Havoc, and you're all set!

Not positive on that.  I think the Boston was the export version and the Havoc was the USAAF version.  Havoc's later exported as well but the Boston was the early export model built to the export customer's specs, aka 303s in the RAF versions not 50 cal etc.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
22 Sqn RAAF Boston
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 08:34:31 PM »
I like Dux put the panel lines and rivits over insignias and striping. I don't drop the transparancy of insignias etc. Because it's actually part of the paint.

If panel lines are too prominent over an insignia, I'll vary the transparancy of panel line/rivits in the area I'm working. With aluminum I'll vary transparancy of white and black panel lines/rivits differently depending on where on the plane they are.

If I want the insignia faded, I'll paint over it with a weathering layer.

There are many ways to build an apple :D When your done and it looks like an apple ??

You done built an apple :D
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
22 Sqn RAAF Boston
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 12:09:37 PM »
Early Havoc/Bostons were all glass nosed versions, but most had some form of fixed forward facing armament. Usually two to four 0.3 or 0.5in guns. The name was just a country specific thing, it didn't relate to the type of nose.

Apart from the RAAF mods, the RAF also modified some Bostons for night intruder work. First with 12 303s in the nose, then four 20mms in a belly pack. The latter arrangement was copied in the P-70 nightfighter, which were factory conversions of glass nosed A-20s.

The main difference between the G and the earlier models of A-20 was the twin 0.5in rear turret, but it was also the first production aircraft with a solid nose. The RAAF received some A-20Gs from the USAAF and I'll do one of those as a skin later on.

WRT layers, I go paint and markings lowermost, then weathering, then panel lines etc on top. I split the lines into panel line and hatch line layers and make the panel lines more transparent than the hatch lines.