Author Topic: 4th FG P-51 pics?  (Read 644 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
4th FG P-51 pics?
« on: October 10, 2004, 09:52:09 PM »
Anybody got pics of 4th FG P-51s during the transition period when they went from the olive green all over with white recognition stripes to natural metal with black recognition stripes?

I'm wondering in particular if there was a time when they had natural metal undersides with black stripes and olive green upper surfaces with white stripes.    One pic I have suggests that, but I really can't tell for sure.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
4th FG P-51 pics?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 10:59:54 PM »
I imagine you are talking about the famous "Salem Representative" flown by Kidd Hofer of the 4th.  His was one of the few if not the only natural metal 4th FG P51B that was given OD wings and the top of the fuselage spine.  It DID NOT have white stripes on top and black underneath.

Photos show where the black stripe shows through the OD covered wing.

His also had a red stripe for the horizontal tail

Is there a particular 4th Kite you are looking for?  I have tons of 4th FG stuff so I can probably help you out on that one.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
4th FG P-51 pics?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 11:00:29 PM »
BTW where in Minnesota Oboe?  I'm in Rosemount myself

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
4th FG P-51 pics?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 09:56:59 AM »
Ding ding ding ding!    You are correct sir!    I do have an interest in doing "Salem Representative".   Dang Guppy, you know your stuff!

What is the history of the mixed color scheme?   It sounds like you are saying the aircraft started as natural metal and then painted OD on the upper wing surface and fuselage spine - is that correct?    I had always assumed that at some point new P-51 deliveries were natural metal, and the OD ones on strength had their paint removed in stages, beginning with the fuselage sides.

Would love to see more pics of this a/c from different angles, and any closeups of the fuselage artwork (the winged boxing mule) you might be able to share.

Much thanks!

btw I am in Shoreview - just north of Roseville, so I'd say we're within a 1/2 hour - 45 min travel time anyway.   My eldest son, a freshman in high school, was just in Rosemount yesterday.   He competes with the Irondale Marching Knights fieldshow band, and there was a big show there.    Rosemount has a top notch marching band too.

Again, thanks!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
4th FG P-51 pics?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Ding ding ding ding!    You are correct sir!    I do have an interest in doing "Salem Representative".   Dang Guppy, you know your stuff!

What is the history of the mixed color scheme?   It sounds like you are saying the aircraft started as natural metal and then painted OD on the upper wing surface and fuselage spine - is that correct?    I had always assumed that at some point new P-51 deliveries were natural metal, and the OD ones on strength had their paint removed in stages, beginning with the fuselage sides.

Would love to see more pics of this a/c from different angles, and any closeups of the fuselage artwork (the winged boxing mule) you might be able to share.

Much thanks!

btw I am in Shoreview - just north of Roseville, so I'd say we're within a 1/2 hour - 45 min travel time anyway.   My eldest son, a freshman in high school, was just in Rosemount yesterday.   He competes with the Irondale Marching Knights fieldshow band, and there was a big show there.    Rosemount has a top notch marching band too.

Again, thanks!

My 17 year old senior daughter is part of that Marching band :)

I'll get going on the scans of Salem Representative.

Tons of photos out there :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
4th FG P-51 pics?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:32:01 PM »
Wow what a small world!   I've seen your daughter's band perform two or three times then.    They do an awesome show!
What does your daughter play?