Author Topic: Does the P38 really suck, or is it just me?  (Read 2570 times)

Hammerhead

Does the P38 really suck, or is it just me?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Personally, I quit flying that bird a long time ago, I only once killed a spit with it,  :D , probably cause the guy was asleep at the stick. But overall I didnt find it so good. Yeah, sure I saw Citbatria and people do unbelieveable things,(like turn with a ZEKE  :eek: ) but I couldnt get even close. I now fly the P51. I guess what I'm trying to say is its not an easy thing to fly. U got to really get some practice with it if u wanna do anything. I think the P51D was easier to learn than that BIG FLYING TANK.
Only one thing eludes me, if it was so big a target one would think they would build it a little stronger? Its rear stabs made of glass, the engines are of paper but the front is bulletproofed, U can only kill in a P38 if u go H2H,   :D
At least thats what I think.....

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2001, 01:17:00 PM »
It doesnt suck... but it sure can give you a severe depression problem..lol. The 38 has several problems in the MA. The main being that it attracts red cons like a pile of doodoo to a bunch of flies. I found it turns as well or better than any of the US plane set... it can hang w/the german planeset. Its hopeless most of the time vrs spits and niki's. If your really serious about the 38 hookup w/TAC's boys and/or the Festerbot.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
I personaly have no problem with the P38 as it's a bit faster than the P47-D30, bleeds it's E less faster, and turns way better (and I mean way).
It's compressibility in dive is the trick, after a couple of flights, once you a used to it, it's no longer a factor.
The elev is very weack, but there's only one that's why, u loose it, you die. It's weacker than the P47, but to the .50s only. For both, if u hit by canons, it's usually the same punition.

Olivier "Frenchy" Raunier

Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far, fly high,
You're never gonna die.
(Pink Floyd)
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
Dang I just figured it out.

Its you!

;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2001, 11:16:00 PM »
I don't fly it but I know when I see one one I usually kill it pretty easy. 3 time I died in hos the 38 would die to but I hit the ground first.

Fester can kill in a 202 so using him as reference as to how "unsucky" the 38 is is pointless.

Wotan has 21 kills and has been killed 4 times against the P-38L.

Offline Rickenbacker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
Personally i prefer the 38 for divebombing, as the twin couterrotating props mean that you need very little trim as you go into a dive, and thus have an easier time hitting your target. The cannon/MG are also very good for hitting ack before it can hit you. I can't really fight anything but 109's and 190's in it, though, everything else kills me in the 38.