Author Topic: skuzzy sound problem still not resolved  (Read 330 times)

Offline dragoon

• Copper Member
skuzzy sound problem still not resolved
« on: October 18, 2004, 06:46:27 PM »
i have taken out my hercules muse xl and tried my onboard ALI sound. its doing the same thing.

-crackling and popping
-tin can sounds for a time
-using vox sometimes i sound like im a rap star

i have checked my irqs and the only thing my sound is sharing with is the irq steering holder thingee.  i have also completely checked all irqs and there are no conflicts. i have just ruled out the sound cards as the source by switching to onboard sound and i get the same thing.

before i added more ram to my pc keying up my vox would lock up my computer completely. i ran dxdiax tests and checks out ok. with the new ram i dont crach anymore but im haveing the problems listed above.

i dont know what to do about this problem. what else can i try?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 07:50:22 PM »
dragoon,

In the old days when I worked for MediaVison sound card company we would ask customers to remove all other cards from their slots except for the video and soundcard. Then see if the sound issues persists. You may be having bus contention issues that are manifesting themselves in your audio output. The fact that these issues show up with either sound card enabled suggests this as one possibility.

If this is an older PC, it could be something in the system board manifesting itself. If this persists after removing all of the other cards, borrow a video card. Unless this can be determined as a shoftware issue, you will have to look for hardware problems. Sound cards act like canaries for PC's, I just wish they could tell you exactly whats wrong.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline wigglepog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 09:32:36 PM »
Sounds like you are hearing sound phasing caused when two "identical" audio streams are played/mixed simultaneously and with a slight timing discrepency between them.  In a recording studio it's pretty matter of fact to track down such a problem.  But with soundcards, drivers/mixer applet, and the application using the card, it's not so straight forward.  

It may simply be your soundcard's software mixer settings (volume mixer - that shows up on taskbar by the clock)

I'd make sure that in the sound playback mixer that only the Wave Out channel is active.

On the sound input (or record) mixer page, only the Mic channel is active.

try that

If still bad

Go into AH voice settings and find the Use Wave In ( or something) check box.  If it is checked, try unchecked and visa versa if found unchecked.

try that

The crackle could be caused by overload (can happen when two signals phase) or possibly due to a clocking issue with the sound card.  Unless you are using a professional soundcard that derives its clock externaly, then I doubt clocking is the problem since it occurs with two different sound cards that use their own internal clocks.

Have you had any feedback (piercing squeal with mic on)?

How are you monitoring?

Anyway...there are some things to check.

zes

Offline dragoon

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 11:23:14 PM »
thx guys. to answer your questions:

no on mic squeal

and monitoring...what exactly ya mean?

when i try to play microsoft flight sim 2k4 the sound with lock up the screen with a  da da da da da da da da da da da da very very fast. sound skiping. i have ta reboot.

:)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:51:13 AM »
Have you overclocked the CPU or FSB?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline dragoon

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 03:13:23 PM »
neg no overclocking. now its taking an intresting twist. out of nowhere the screen goes black and the monitor shuts off and i cant turn it back on till i reboot the pc :( happenning randomly now.

(pulling ma hair out and i shave my head)

drags

Offline dragoon

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 03:18:28 PM »
i should mention that my monitor cabe has a short in it cause the RED to go out from time to time. all i have to do is jiggle the wires a bit to restore full color.

is it possible the monitor is causing all these problems?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 04:14:39 PM »
By all means get a new monitor cable. A short across any wire between your vid card and monitor is potentially bad for both devices and your system board. Going into a game and it locking to a repeating da da da...at one time was an indication of a DMA conflict. But this is the 2000's not early 1990's. Win OS now resolves DMA issues. Hope you have not fried anything with your vid cable shorting.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline dragoon

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 02:23:02 PM »
ty all for the help, it seems to have magically cleared up all of the sudden:confused: