Author Topic: my despotic anti advertising manifesto  (Read 669 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
my despotic anti advertising manifesto
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 12:16:13 AM »
Why do you hate free speech?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 12:20:20 AM »
I don't get angry about the standard network business model. I understand it's part of the deal.

That said... If I subscribe to a service that is commercial free and then they start adding commercials to raise their profit margins, I get a little bent.

As for satellite radio, XM comes to mind. Their advertisements say 100% commercial free radio, but that's not entirely true. Some of their channels do indeed have commercials.
sand

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 12:21:37 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Why do you hate free speech?

i dont hate free speech.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 12:23:47 AM »
Well then it's time you go back and try to re-frame your argument.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 12:27:25 AM »
Well then it's time you go back and try to re-frame your argument.

youll pardon me if i dare to ignore your sage advice? :lol "nash says i hate free speech! id better reword things real quick!" :lol enjoy your career in advertising.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 12:29:07 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I don't get angry about the standard network business model. I understand it's part of the deal.

That said... If I subscribe to a service that is commercial free and then they start adding commercials to raise their profit margins, I get a little bent.

As for satellite radio, XM comes to mind. Their advertisements say 100% commercial free radio, but that's not entirely true. Some of their channels do indeed have commercials.

i love xm. best "fun" money ive spent for as long as i can remember. the shocker is going back to normal radio for even an hour when youve been using xm or your own cds. i think many people dont realize how prevalent ads are on radio theyre almost numbed by it.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 12:38:58 AM »
Originally posted by anonymous
:lol enjoy your career in advertising.

Oh but I do.

And, don't get me wrong, but I LOVE guys like you.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 12:43:37 AM »
Oh but I do.

And, don't get me wrong, but I LOVE guys like you.

just to be clear the laughing face was not about your career. i was being sincere. important to enjoy what you do. that face was for sentence before.

Offline Chortle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004, 04:56:59 AM »
Cant you get the BBC over there? No adverts and plenty of costume dramas, it's wizzard!

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2004, 06:30:23 AM »
i can appreciate your lowercase rant on advertising and the demeaning, condescending, patronizing immaturity of most of it, but you dont know how lucky you are. youre living in commercial nirvana and im living in shift key and commercial hell.

imagaine if you lived where i do and have to tolerate obnoxious 15 second commercials played back to back because its cheaper to run 2 - 15 second commercials than 1 - 30 second commercial featuring tiger woods pitching canned coffee - the wonder coffee guy mouthing the words wonderful wonder or tough guy stallone selling hams or tough guy schwarzeneggar playing the banjo and dressed in a clown outfit selling noodles or beckham selling facial salons for men or tough guy dennis hopper sitting naked in a bathtub playing with little yellow rubber ducks.

suck it up and quit complaining. it could be alot worse.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »
I'm with you anonymous. I have very similar feelings about commercials and advertisment in general.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2004, 12:33:36 PM »
i dont have a problems with commercials per say, just mute em or change the channel, theyve never affected my judgement anyway, since i generally dont care that some sports superstar was paid 20 grand to tell me how great this product is.

what i do have a problem with is "subtle" condesending bull**** they try to use. anyone whos seen/heard commercials from the 40's and 50's know what im talking about.

luckily, within the next 10 years, commercials will go the way of the dinosour. advertising will be done through product placement inside the actual shows.