Author Topic: Oboe..4th FG B info  (Read 718 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Oboe..4th FG B info
« on: October 18, 2004, 02:00:54 PM »
Saw you mention Boise Bee and Ill Wind.

While these images are from their Jugs,  It doesn't take much to change it to their Mustang art.

For Boise Bee, you essentially have the same thing except it doesn't say Boise on top.

For Ill Wind, the text is further left on the Mustang instead of right like on the Jug.

Thought maybe you could work with the images.  Don Allen did some great nose art for those 4th guys didn't he?  :)

Both scanned from Frank Speer's book "The Debden Warbirds"

Any thought do doing Speer's P51B "Turnip Termite'?  There is a good color image of that nose art too and with the red outlined QP-M it would like kinda nice

Dan/Slack

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Oboe..4th FG B info
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:08:29 PM »
Yep those are the images from the P-47s.   Comparing them to the Osprey profiles for the P-51s, they seem fairly different.

I could try to modify one, as you say the BEE one is fairly close - but I can't see mush detail in the Osprey book.   It looks to me like there is a white coffee cup behind the bee's head! :)   And it looks like he has a different number of feet in the P-51 one.

After playing with the alpha channel masking, I can see the appeal of it.   It allows decals on one side only of mirrored skin textures, and you get a lot of detail - a 256x256 graphic squeezed down into a smaller space on the skin - I was suprised how the BEE just jumped out at me off the plane...(would have to play with the opacity to get it to look real).

I'm still testing - for example my graphic came out with a slight outline of the invisibility color (magenta) around it.   Don't know how that happened or what to do yet.

But, by all means - if you can get me a few looks at the "Termite" I'll see what I can do.   I'm stuck on Hofer's skin because of the location of his kill markings - they run into the mirrored area of the nose...

Thanks!

btw Guppy, how did Rosemount's band do this year?   Irondale's seaon is pretty much over now, after placing 7th in the Bands of America competition in St Louis this weekend...

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Oboe..4th FG B info
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »
I have Beesons Jug under review. Do that Pony up Oboe !!
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Oboe..4th FG B info
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 03:41:10 PM »
Hi Oboe,

Rosemount finished up this weekend in a competition in Iowa, taking second.  They won all the state comps they entered as far as I know.

My daughter and friends are very relieved to be done.  I don't think they were very thrilled with the director :)

On to 51s

You might consider this one flown by Victor France a 4th FG ace.  I started digging through my model boxes and found the "Debden Eagles" decal sheet I had.  The profile is from that.  The close up of the nose art is from the Speer book

Dan/Slack

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Oboe..4th FG B info
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 03:49:02 PM »
Very nice!   What font is that for the ID letters?   It looks a little too rounded to be AmarilloUSAF...

I think I can use the alpha channel for the kill marks - as long as it isn't clipped too much on the texture map.

Jim's band competed in Iowa two Saturdays ago, then driving up on Sunday to compete at Rosemount's show.   The they left Wed night for St Louis and got back Sunday morning.   I amazed at how time intensive it is, but also at what they end up accomplishing.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Oboe..4th FG B info
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 03:59:38 PM »
Might want to check out the USAF font on this site.

http://www.1java.org/sh/fonts.html

It's always a roll of the dice when going off a profile as whoever did it, was using some font they thought looked the part.

I'd go with what looks best to you :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters