Author Topic: RogerWilco Base Station and multiple channels  (Read 980 times)

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
RogerWilco Base Station and multiple channels
« on: June 29, 2000, 07:19:00 PM »
The makers of RogerWilco, Resounding, made a software to handle big numbers of players and multiple channels. It's called Roger Wilco Base Station (RWBS).

I have found RWBS to be a lot more reliable than user-hosted channels.

Some players are hosting Base Stations (for their squads mainly). Resoundings also hosts a RWBS server for the Internet community. This is a tip on how to use the multiple channels feature.

First, make sure you have the latest version of Roger Wilco. Right now, it's Mark Ic beta 0.54. In the About tab, it should read Roger Wilco 0.54 (or greater). Multiple channels only work with Mark Ia (not with plain Mark I), but AH 1.03 requires version 0.54 or greater.

Second, since AH 1.03 has in-game tuning, if you want to use a RWBS server you need to tune .radio 5 1 in AH and alt-tab to the desktop to manually tune RW to the desired channel.

The RWBS software allows you to dynamically create any numbers of channels. You just have to tune one, and it will be created if it doesn't exist.

The way to do it is to specify a name (any name) after the IP address (or domain name); use the slash [ / ] to separate the IP address/domain name from the name of the channel.

For example, if your squad is called the Slim Sober Goddesses   you could create a channel named "ssg". If the IP address for your RWBS server is 192.168.0.53, then in RW you would enter:

192.168.0.53/ssg

If you enter 192.168.0.53/ssg/ it's not the same address so it's not the same channel (the channel being named "ssg/"). After the first slash [ / ], the other ones are just considered as characters part of the channel name.

If your squad is doing some team vs team training, then you could use a channel for each team, for example blue team vs red team:

192.168.0.53/ssg/blue
and
192.168.0.53/ssg/red

If you created a network shortcut in your HOSTS file, for example "rw" (to allow you to type "rw" instead of the full IP address), then you would type:

rw/ssg
rw/ssg/red
rw/ssg/blue

Resounding has set up a RWBS server for the Internet community. The address is 205.240.163.10.

Resounding also has a cutomized RogerWilco Tuner Page for Aces High so Knights, Bishops and Rooks can easily get together on country-based RW channels. (Sadly I've never seen anyone use them though.)

See also RogerWilco and IP Addresses Tip.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

[This message has been edited by DrSoya (edited 06-29-2000).]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
RogerWilco Base Station and multiple channels
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »
Thank you!

Never have I seen all of this information in one place so clearly described.

I still in some ways prefer the AH Tuner page to the channel method. For one I have problems hosting RW, (others can't join).

I don't suppose you'd be a networking guru also?  

Anyway thanks for the VERY clear & informative posts.

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Ghosth (edited 06-30-2000).]