Author Topic: P-38 nose art?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline gnubee

• Copper Member
P-38 nose art?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 09:03:03 PM »
Just curious...but is anyone trying to skin the haze paint p-38's?  I'd like to see them make an appearance.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
P-38 nose art?
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 09:40:37 PM »
Originally posted by Sp4de
I made a p-38 skins before. and i am going to do it again with better quality and time,once version 2.01 comes. here it is- "Miss behavin".NIght fighther.

What's left of this plane is at Kermit Weeks' in Florida. This particular plane once belonged to P-38 Ace Larry Blumer. He bought it from the government of Honduras. After he sold it, it was repainted as it is seen in that pic, and later crashed, killing its pilot. Kermit bought the wreckage.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
P-38 nose art?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 09:45:47 PM »
Originally posted by Sp4de
I wanted to do this skin too, but Oboe I want you to do this skin. I know you can do it alot better then i probley can. Especially with the Metal nose. :) Good luck :aok - It's a beautiful Plane. Called the "California cutie"

That's the Duxford P-38, destroyed in a crash about 8 or 10 years ago, killing its pilot.

Interestingly enough, when it was originally delivered to Duxford, it was painted as "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" flown by Jack Ilfrey. Jack was present when the plane was presented. It was later repainted as "California Cutie" because the climate at Duxford was very hard on the natural aluminum. I have a nice pic of the plane when it was painted as "Happy Jack's Go Buggy", and that particular scheme looks to be very compatible with even the current AH II P-38L skin.

As Dan reported in another thread, Jack Ilfrey died on 15 October 2004, and I was told he was buried next to his parents in Texas on 19 October 2004.

Here is a picture of the Duxford P-38, as it was originally delivered, painted as "Happy Jack's Go Buggy".

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 09:49:42 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-38 nose art?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 10:05:49 PM »
This turned into kind of a downer thread.    hate to think of those crashed P-38s and their pilots.   to all those men involved in any way with the P-38.   What a shame they chopped up so many at the end of the War.

Sp4de, perhaps I'll try California Cutie at some point after the P-38 is reworked - right now I can't get any noseart one on side only.   I know the default skin seems to be setup to do that but none of the "Pudgy" noseart is showing for me on the default skin.   I'm not sure what the problem is.     Thanks for the vote of confidence tho!

Capt Hilts, thanks for posting that pic of Ilfrey's 55th mount - I see now I am missing the white nose band on my bird.   It was very apparent in the pic I was working from.    There are a handful of problems with the AHII P-38 skin map so until its reworked our options are very limited on skins we can do...