Author Topic: Radeon Video  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2001, 09:54:00 PM »
think i payed about 400$ (after tax) but this was awhile back and i got the board with RAID, also some SDRAM and a Supercase 300w on the side.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Manedew ]

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by AirScrew:
I already did a little looking around today online and found an ABit KT7A w/ 1.13ghz and fan for $199

Good price,

I paid
180$ for ABIT KT7-RAID
80$ for 800 mhz Duron (retail)

Now this was well over a year ago, you can get the duron 800mhz for 60$, still a great CPU with great power but if i were to upgrade now i would get the best i could offord, prices are lower than they have ever been and anyone would be missing out to not jump on this opprotunity.

The Duron is the "low end" AMD k7. (i use the term "low end" loosely because it can out proform the PIII in most cases, and the Celeron doesnt even come close to comparison.)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2001, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew:
think i payed about 400$ (after tax) but this was awhile back and i got the board with RAID, also some SDRAM and a Supercase 300w on the side.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Manedew ]

Im in San Antonio too, does this MMG have decent prices? I found a "M&M", is that them?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
Radeon Video
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2001, 04:41:00 PM »
Hi Airscrew and all,

First correct me if I'm wrong but all the Celrons after the 300 come with cashe memory.  It is less 128k vice 256 on the PIIIs but the cashe on a Celron runs at front bus speed while on the PIII's it runs at 1/2 fsb.  So half the memory but twice the speed.

I'm currently playing AH on a PIII 1.1ghz but I played for the longest time on a Celron 300a overclocked to 450 mhz.  I never had any trouble maintaining over 35 fps with that rig. (Well over smoking hanger it would drop to about 20)

Airscrew, try a couple of things first.  One try setting color depth to 16 bit.  32 bit color really takes a lot of horsepower to run and in my opinion doesn't look that much better than 16.  You might have some sorting issues near the ground however due to the 16 bit Z buffer.

Second try setting the game resolution to 1024x768.  For some reason AH actully on a lot of systems give better frame rates on the higher resolutions than on the lower ones.

Finally as a color compromise you might try 24 bit color.  That still give you a 24 bit Zbuffer to eliminate the sorting issues and is more fps friendly than 32 bit.  I know I could run in 24 bit color with my old system as it had a TNT-2 chip which was the last nvidia produced that supported 24 bit (the Gforces all are 32 bit or 16, at least without a tweek program)

I'm not absoultely sure the Radons support 24 bit color but I seem to remember they do.

Sharky

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
Sharky

Absolutely correct, No cache and 66 mhz FSB. I beleive they ever made a celeron over 66mhz fsb, they may have but i have never seen it.

I could be wrong but the PIII is 133mhz FSB, the higher end ones like yours.

Most consumers dont understand that with the current, and some older CPUs that the clock speed isnt so signifigant as the cache and FSB. Anymore its not the FSB, once it gets over 266 you dont see much difference in proformance. But more cache and better instruction written into the chip make all the differnce in the world.
(not more instructions intell, but more efficant ones!)

As for the Radeon, if im not mistaken that is the Geforce II GTS chip set. I dont think that it supports 24 bit color. But if it is that chip set it shouldnt have any problems running ANYTHING at 32 bit, that my opinion.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: Am0n ]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Radeon Video
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2001, 02:03:00 PM »
You are mistaken.  The Radeon is ATI's video chipset that competes with nVidia's GeForce line.

Both the GeForce II and the Radeon line should have no problem running 32 bit color at 1024x768 given a CPU that runs over 600 Mhz or so.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Anyway no change yet,  Manedew I tried the Radeon tweaker last night but no improvement, but then I may not have made the right selections.
It really didnt seem that bad when I played last night, I averaged between 10-15fps, I can live with that for a couple of weeks till I upgrade my MB and CPU.  I'm not that hotshot of a pilot anyway so no real impact.

Sharky, I'll try your suggestions later tonight and see if there is any improvement.
I have resolution set to 1024x768 right now but on 32bit color.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
Sharky,  I changed to 16 bit and that helped some.  averaging almost 20-25,  still drops down to 8-10 in the tower, but frame rates are better were it counts, flyin and diein.
I'm going to try adjusting some things on the pc and see if I can reduce the load on the CPU too.  
All you guys,  Thanks for your help and suggestions, hopefully I'll get upgraded soon.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Radeon Video
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
Just a note here:

If you get basically the SAME framerate at all resolutions in Aces High(with a current vid card), that indicates that the CPU is holding you back.

SKurj